Page 19 of 53 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Kelleher was injured and missed most of preseason and the six or seven weeks of the season, so had only been back on the bench over the last few weeks, but should get a game tomorrow. It’s a paradox but not playing regularly hasn’t looked like it’s been a problem when he’s played for us or Liverpool. He seems very assured and comfortable.
    Let's see how comfortable he is behind this seasons version of Liverpool...?

Jokes aside, I hope he does well. Having 3 young keepers with potential is grand and all but they will inevitably go through a few rough patches so having one performing well when we need it is key.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    He's a strong lad mentally and it's not like he's having a complete shocker. Hopefully he's just a bit off in terms of positioning due to the faster pace of the game added to the chaos of having an unreliable group in front of him.

I think he'll be fine but it might be a rocky first year. Id expect him to get dropped at some point even. They will try everything to right the shop.

A more gradual rise to the Premiership may have been better all round though. A lot of pressure on him there now with the price tag and position.

If we end up with 3 premiership backup keepers we won't be much worse off than we were with Randolph most of the time. If Bazunu does get dropped I wonder would Kenny put Kelleher in for the friendlies? Will he regardless of what's happening at club level? Hard to say. He may need to use those games to boost Gavin's confidence now. Has Kelleher played a game yet this season or are they waiting for the cups?
    He's definitely not having a shocker. Totally agree. He just looks a bit stiff, a bit uncomfortable, afraid of making a major mistake. I think you also raised a great point earlier about the defence in front of him being a messy unit. He is definitely good enough and I have a lot of belief that he will get there. I think he needs a game where he puts in a MOTM performance, i think that will get him believing in himself and loosening up.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Half the goals he's conceded have come in three games and most his games it's only been the one goal conceded. Think they brought in a whole new defence in the summer and at the weekend they had two lads in there who were less experienced than Bazunu. Watching a couple of games this season and the defence itself has often been let down by the midfield in front of them so not surprised they'd go for someone like Nathan Jones whose got Luton performing above expectations by being compacted, organised, and hard working.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Half the goals he's conceded have come in three games and most his games it's only been the one goal conceded.
    I think that's twisting the maths of it though. You could just as easily say flip he's only kept one clean sheet in 14 games, which isn't great. Heck, to have shipped four three times already this season is ropey.

Ultimately only three teams have conceded more, and it seems the stats are saying they're conceding more than they should. I think there's no getting away from those two stats.

And taken as read that he's improving and getting games, etc, etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    not watched a lot of southampton but his numbers look in or around par. thats not bad imo. obviously has a lot to deal with infront of him and that'll be the managers job to fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    In fairness, a random punter on the internet saying "Not watched a lot of Southampton but his numbers look in or around par" isn't something I'd take over Opta stats (or whatever source the BBC used)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In fairness, a random punter on the internet saying "Not watched a lot of Southampton but his numbers look in or around par" isn't something I'd take over Opta stats (or whatever source the BBC used)...
    eh? this is what im basing my comment on https://twitter.com/Jhdharrison1/sta...82728050221056
    14/20 ranking all GK actions(not just prevented goals), -0.03 vs avg prem keeper i.e nearly at par. Seems good enough to me!

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Fair enough, but that's quite different from your original post!

Wonder why the different to the MotD figures then?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    not watched a lot of southampton but his numbers look in or around par. thats not bad imo. obviously has a lot to deal with infront of him and that'll be the managers job to fix.
    Nathan Jones, ahead of Luton's 2016/17 season in League 2, released 12 players and signed 8. Before Stoke's 2019/20 season in the Championship, he brought in 10 new players. He was sacked after just 14 games, but said he had no regrets about moving from Luton to Stoke. (Wikipedia). Obviously a man of firm conviction in his own judgement and one can expect some significant changes in the next couple of months. Hopefully Bazunu's position will be safe.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Doubt he'll be given any meaningful funds to buy players and Southampton probably went with the cheapest option who'll work with the group of players available. Dyche would have been a much better defensive manager but would have wanted good wages and transfer funds. McCarthy could get in as I doubt Jones will want his keeper coming out far sweeping up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Flat footed for Liverpool goal but brilliant save from Salah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Southampton defence is properly dreadful. Fantastic save from Bazunu from Salah, probably caught out with Liverpool first, not a lot he could have done for their second.

He's on a hiding to nothing with this side though.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Southampton are a shambles but still think he’s in the right place,Ramsey had a couple of seasons in bad sides in the premier league and it did him no harm and he’s in a side top of the league now…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    He's earning his keep, the defense in front of him are terrible. He was caught badly for the Firmino opener though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    He's earning his keep, the defense in front of him are terrible. He was caught badly for the Firmino opener though.
    Weirdly - the 20 year old German: Bella-Kotchap is in the German squad for the World Cup

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts

https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    That's really not good. No command of his area. He does seem low on confidence.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    As soon as the ball popped back up in the air he seemed initially to chase it to his left before scrambling back, deceived by what his teammate was going to do. By that stage he was never going to be able to compete with the goal scorer who could get between Bazunu and the ball quite easily. As a keeper you'd really want to be attacking a ball like that with forward momentum but his first couple of steps meant he had no weight / momentum behind his jump. I'd be looking at his teammate too. Horrible sliced clearance.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Weirdly - the 20 year old German: Bella-Kotchap is in the German squad for the World Cup
    First name Heinz?

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Ah here Stutts. That type of humour won’t cut the mustard with too many on here.

Page 19 of 53 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast