Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Finally got his first clean sheet tonight.
    Looked pretty solid apart from dropping the ball in stoppage time, nearly costing his team the win. Growing pains and all that with a young goalkeeper but I noticed that in another recent game where he had a few weak clearances/punches.

He?s largely doing well but I think needs to improve on dealing with crosses and corners.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    If other teams see this as a weakness. They will give him plenty of practice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Perhaps as he fills out a bit he?ll get more confident. But fundamentally he needs to get better at judging whether to catch or punch those floating balls into the area, and if he does decide to punch, really get better at making proper contact.

In I believe Southampton?s previous match I counted something like three or four really poor punches. He got to the ball first, disrupted the attack in each case, but did not get proper distance.

He is very young for a top level keeper so I?m not trying to be overly critical here but it is an area he needs to target for serious improvement.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Very young and it's probably the main reason he chose to leave City to get this experience and tested at the highest level. Could have took the easy option and signed the new contract City offered and stayed there as second choice.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Yep not trying to knock Bazunu. He's got great natural talent, a tremendous attitude by all accounts -- and is on a trajectory that has all of us very hopeful. Just highlighting where he's at right now as it will be relevant if he's going to be The Guy during our qualification matches next year.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Hasenhuttl sacked today as Southampton manager. MotD last night had a stat that since March, they had conceded something like ten goals more than xG. You can argue the extent of its usefulness for sure, but it is used and they do have a poor defensive record - only Leicester, Forest and Bournemouth have conceded more, and Leicester are turning things around with only one goal (against Man City) conceded in the last five. Plus a new manager always looks to bring changes anyway, so it may be a worry that what happened to Travers might happen to Bazunu as well now.

Time will tell I guess.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Unless the new manager is allowed to bring in a new keeper I'd say Bazunu will be alright. Can't see them going back to McCarthy and Bazunu is their big summer signing so don't see the board sanctioning a move for a new keeper.

In the 14 PL games they've played this season they've only conceded more than one goal in 4 of those games. Just happens to be three of those four games they conceded four goals.

If a new manager comes in and can get them organised it should fix some problems because it's often like Moses parting the red sea the way opposition teams can cut through them on the attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Only Wolves and Everton have scored less than Southampton. Issues both ends of the pitch. I suppose that's why they are bottom 3 and sacked their manager?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Definitely issues at both ends - though they've no Irish forwards, so I didn't care about the lack of goals

I'd be wary of dismissing the problem as a leaky defence because similar was said here about Travers before he was dropped. A change of manager can be a risky time for any player really. If a new manager has a contact and can bring in players with him, the Board may go with that if it keeps them in the land of printing money.

He's probably safer than Travers for sure. But still not an ideal position to be in.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Just a hunch: I feel Southampton wouldn't suddenly tighten up if, other things being equal, they replaced Bazunu by reinstating McCarthy, but I feel Bournemouth have suddenly loosened up with Travers' return! I haven't seen the weekend's highlights yet though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Luton have granted Southampton permission to speak with Nathan Jones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Interesting development. I was watching them yesterday (first half only) and there is just something where my faith in Bazunu gets a little shaken watching him. He doesn't look confident at that level yet is the best way i can describe it.

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Yes, I think he looks more at home for Ireland and looked more comfortable in himself in L1. He looks more like a guy worrying about stuff going wrong than a guy relishing the prospect of playing well.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I'd agree. He looks to be going through a bit of a rough patch and isn't making saves that he is capable of making. Possibly needed to go to a club where he wouldn't be quite so under pressure all the time. Anytime I see Southampton it looks like they have never played together at the back. Some of that is going to be down to Gavin himself of course but a more settled (better) unit in front of him would have helped all round. He must feel like every attack is going to involve a shot on target.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    It's beginning to look like not playing regularly might work out well for Kelleher.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    It's beginning to look like not playing regularly might work out well for Kelleher.
    Had a feeling you might have that response!

I'd still prefer Bazunu being out there making mistakes and being uncomfortable. It will stand to him in the long run but was always going to involve rocky spells.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Had a feeling you might have that response!

I'd still prefer Bazunu being out there making mistakes and being uncomfortable. It will stand to him in the long run but was always going to involve rocky spells.
    Maybe I was being a bit tongue in cheek there, but maybe Bazunu’s elevation to the PL was a bit too premature. I only hope that he comes through this spell without it affecting his confidence.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    In fairness to Gavin and his ex-manager, most of that squad are championship level. Look at the back 4 that played the last game, Larios at right back, 18 years old, signed from City in the summer. He came off injured in the first half and was replaced by another 18 year old signed from City, Romeo Lavia. At centre back, Bella-Kotchap, 20 years old, very promising, signed this summer from Bochum in Germany but doesn’t look ready yet. Salisu at 23 was his partner, he’s never stood out to me. Perraud the most experienced is 25, signed from Brest last summer (2021).

Obviously Ward Prowse is pretty good but there’s too many ordinary footballers. Che Adams certainly doesn’t look like he should be leading the line for a premier league side and he’s a long way from guys like Danny Ings. I’d trust Michael Obafemi to impact better at that level than him. Adam Armstrong isn’t a PL player either. Sekou Mara is 20 and hasn’t scored a goal since signing.

Travers is struggling much much more than Bazunu. He was considered one of the best keepers in the championship last season and you’d have felt the premier league was the obvious next step. But his confidence is just shot. He was somewhat culpable for the third and fourth goals last weekend. The third was a corner headed through his legs and the fourth was a through ball which he didn’t really come off his line quick enough or far enough. For reference the pass is hit from the approx 35 yard range, Travers is on his 6 yard box, then takes a step backwards. He only moves forwards once the ball goes inside the box. The shot is hit at the penalty spot and he’s still inside his 6 yard box despite having 3 seconds to close the angle and possibly reach the ball first.

Hopefully kelleher plays on Wednesday for Liverpool. I’d say both Bazunu and Travers are a little less developed than I would have thought at the start of the season.

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Maybe I was being a bit tongue in cheek there, but maybe Bazunu’s elevation to the PL was a bit too premature. I only hope that he comes through this spell without it affecting his confidence.
    He's a strong lad mentally and it's not like he's having a complete shocker. Hopefully he's just a bit off in terms of positioning due to the faster pace of the game added to the chaos of having an unreliable group in front of him.

I think he'll be fine but it might be a rocky first year. Id expect him to get dropped at some point even. They will try everything to right the shop.

A more gradual rise to the Premiership may have been better all round though. A lot of pressure on him there now with the price tag and position.

If we end up with 3 premiership backup keepers we won't be much worse off than we were with Randolph most of the time. If Bazunu does get dropped I wonder would Kenny put Kelleher in for the friendlies? Will he regardless of what's happening at club level? Hard to say. He may need to use those games to boost Gavin's confidence now. Has Kelleher played a game yet this season or are they waiting for the cups?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    He's a strong lad mentally and it's not like he's having a complete shocker. Hopefully he's just a bit off in terms of positioning due to the faster pace of the game added to the chaos of having an unreliable group in front of him.

I think he'll be fine but it might be a rocky first year. Id expect him to get dropped at some point even. They will try everything to right the shop.

A more gradual rise to the Premiership may have been better all round though. A lot of pressure on him there now with the price tag and position.

If we end up with 3 premiership backup keepers we won't be much worse off than we were with Randolph most of the time. If Bazunu does get dropped I wonder would Kenny put Kelleher in for the friendlies? Will he regardless of what's happening at club level? Hard to say. He may need to use those games to boost Gavin's confidence now. Has Kelleher played a game yet this season or are they waiting for the cups?
    Kelleher was injured and missed most of preseason and the six or seven weeks of the season, so had only been back on the bench over the last few weeks, but should get a game tomorrow. It’s a paradox but not playing regularly hasn’t looked like it’s been a problem when he’s played for us or Liverpool. He seems very assured and comfortable.

Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast