Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    But the point is that if you keep making mistakes, you won't keep getting lucky. The near penalty against Qatar, the fumble onto the post in Portugal, the dropped corner against Azerbaijan, the rush of blood at home to Luxembourg when Coleman bailed him out, and so on - they need to be removed from his game before you can say he's been "faultless" for Ireland (which was the point I was challenging)

I'm sure they will be removed in due course too.
    I know it’s not what I said, but what I meant was, his mistakes haven't cost goals. I alluded to his faults in what I wrote. And it’s hard to drop a keeper when you can’t really point to a goal and say ‘that was their fault’. You’re right that if you keep making mistakes, you won’t continue to get lucky, but I do think he gets away with more than most, in part due to his reactions. The same is true for some of those double saves, his reactions and speed across the ground are excellent.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    And it’s hard to drop a keeper when you can’t really point to a goal and say ‘that was their fault’.
    It's hard, and I'm not necessarily suggesting it here, but that doesn't mean that in some circumstances it can absolutely be the right decision to make.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Stu just doesn't want Rovers to keep earning performance add-ons!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    It's hard, and I'm not necessarily suggesting it here, but that doesn't mean that in some circumstances it can absolutely be the right decision to make.
    Personally I would rotate the keepers to ensure we know who our number 1 is for the long term. Waiting for one to make a mistake before giving the other an opportunity isn’t an efficient way to determine who is best. Kelleher and to a degree Travers deserve a chance to show us what they can do. It seems premature to install a teenager playing at a relatively low level, because he happened to be fit on a particular date.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think actually on that, Travers deserves a lot of credit for the improvement he's shown in the past 12 months. An uninspiring loan spell at Swindon last year in the third tier, to top of the second tier with 8 goals conceded in 11 games. Safe to say very few of us saw that coming. If the other two can kick on as much in the next 12 months, then we will be laughing. (Provided Robinson doesn't get covid again and leave us toothless up front)

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I think actually on that, Travers deserves a lot of credit for the improvement he's shown in the past 12 months. An uninspiring loan spell at Swindon last year in the third tier, to top of the second tier with 8 goals conceded in 11 games. Safe to say very few of us saw that coming. If the other two can kick on as much in the next 12 months, then we will be laughing. (Provided Robinson doesn't get covid again and leave us toothless up front)
    It's an interesting one. He looked shaky walking out to play Serbia and he was shaky in his performance. He had a great Premier League debut but a few more shaky games thereafter. Playing in a good team with a good defence in front of him makes things a lot easier and he seems to have cast aside the shakiness and allowed his ability to shine through that.

If anything, it shows that keepers need to play through the mistakes. Make them, realise that being shaky after making them doesn't make the next save any easier (makes it harder) and push on. A good lesson to Bazunu!

As someone stated in this thread, Bazunu was blessed not to have conceded at least another goal against Serbia - when McClean covered for him - and would the narrative coming from that game have been dominated by that mistake which cost us a draw? Or the brilliant moments he actually had during the game.

I'd like to see Idah go out and get games. He had a good international break for us (Portugal, Serbia) before having a poor game against Liverpool and didn't get the chance to put that poor performance right with us or with Norwich really since.

Pigeon sports psychology aplenty in the above but the peaks and troughs are incredible at international level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Looks like two more howlers tonight in a 4-0 home loss to Ipswich unfortunately.

Game over as Chaplin shifts the ball to Aluko, his shot is a pretty tame one but it somehow spills under Bazunu and into the net. Cue fans leaving and boos from the crowd.
    After a promising start (three wins from three), Pompey have taken six points from the next 10 games and are dropping down the table at a rate of knots, albeit that their defence (and the keeper) weren't that leaky until this game and the last. Could be a long season for them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    https://twitter.com/TTBITFC/status/1...RjrItwwvQ&s=19

This seems to be the main error. A little too comfortable with the ball perhaps. Hopefully he gets these out of his system.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Gotta wonder how long the Portsmouth board will back the Crowley brothers. They made massive changes to the team in the summer and Portsmouth have been weaker since. Currently playing with a back three that contains Shaun Williams.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post

This seems to be the main error. A little too comfortable with the ball perhaps. Hopefully he gets these out of his system.
    He did well to almost recover but this is it, playing it out from the back is risky for a keeper to take more than a couple of touches, and he really over does it. There's no need to be too clever. He could find himself in a difficult situation if he doesn't bring some medium term consistency to his game
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Gotta wonder how long the Portsmouth board will back the Crowley brothers. They made massive changes to the team in the summer and Portsmouth have been weaker since. Currently playing with a back three that contains Shaun Williams.
    What has this got to do with bazunus errors though? That's the point at hand. Or are you just pointing that out that it might effect him in the longer term?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    He did well to almost recover but this is it, playing it out from the back is risky for a keeper to take more than a couple of touches, and he really over does it. There's no need to be too clever. He could find himself in a difficult situation if he doesn't bring some medium term consistency to his game
    Time is really running out for the 19 year old at this point you'd have to say.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Looks like two more howlers tonight in a 4-0 home loss to Ipswich unfortunately.

After a promising start (three wins from three), Pompey have taken six points from the next 10 games and are dropping down the table at a rate of knots, albeit that their defence (and the keeper) weren't that leaky until this game and the last. Could be a long season for them.
    Pineapple Stu watching the highlights this evening...

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I think with ball playing goalkeepers there’s definitely some growing pains. In an ideal world they know when to use that skill to keep possession, and when to just keep it simple. In some respects Kelleher is ahead in this area. Based on some of the early cup games I saw with Liverpool I feared the worst for his career, but since playing in Champions League and the Prem, Kelleher seems to have simplified his game. When playing to feet is on, he does that in a simple and effective way. When there’s reasonable risk of an interception, he keeps it simple.

I suspect Bazunu will get there too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Two bad mistakes, and probably should be doing better on the last goal. He must be reading this thread and doubting himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post

The third is bad too. Hopefully a one-off given shot stopping hasn't been too much of a weakness.

https://youtu.be/h_1fGmsWAo4

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    This is the problem. If his club form is poor and kelleher is doing the business albeit in league Cup and FA Cup games. ( that might be one or two games until Nov) what do we do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Well, Travers is suddenly an option again at least.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    The third is bad too. Hopefully a one-off given shot stopping hasn't been too much of a weakness.

https://youtu.be/h_1fGmsWAo4
    He wouldn’t want to be having too many games like that or else he won’t be playing first team football anywhere.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He wouldn’t want to be having too many games like that or else he won’t be playing first team football anywhere.
    Very true. He's got to learn from his mistakes, should be a case of 'I'll not be doing that again'.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

26. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast