Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

I think Kenny wont change a bit for this year matches and he will try to prepare the 11 for the Slovakia game later on. And because of this crisis worldwide he wont be calling a squad bigger than a 25/28 players panel I think if everyone is fit and injury free.

i think he will bring some younsters by degrees. Will check the granny-rule boys, and will check some options up-front better than lackluster players Hogan and Collins)

GKEEPERS (Randolph-McDermott-Kelleher)
    DEFENDERS (Coleman-O'Connor-Duffy-K.Long-Egan-Clark-Stevens-Doherty-Manning)
    MIDFIELDERS(Arter-McCarthy-Cullen-Hendrick-McClean-Brady-Hourihane-Byrne-Browne-Smallbone)
    FORWARDS (McGoldrick-Robinson-S.Long-Connolly-Obafemi-Sheridan)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Can’t see Kelleher or O’Connor in the squad. I’d also imagine from the comments he made that Obafemi and Smallbone will be with the 21s.

Would think Molumby, Curtis and O’Dowda have a very good shot. Hogan is hard to tell considering how good his form was back before the break and how much that factors in...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    If the Bulgaria game is on September 3rd, I'd guess the squad will be announced around August 21st
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Surely Dara O'Shea over O'Connor firstly.
    Then Midfielders, no Smallbone as SK states very unlikely and replace with Molumby
    Finally Strikers, No Obafemi as per SK, also Sheridan out, two replacements are Idah and O'Dowda.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Cillian Sheridan? Really? Are we giving out caps based on number of countries you've played in (an impressive six, in fairness to Sheridan)? I know James Collins underwhelmed against Switzerland and Georgia but he has already opened his account for us and has 14 in his maiden season in the Championship, which ensured Luton's survival - he has over 150 league goals in his career so far. Meanwhile Scott Hogan seemed, to an extent, to rediscover the form that made us chase him while he was at Brentford. And Adam Idah has a dozen EPL games and an FA Cup Hat-trick under his belt, although I admit it may be just too early for him yet. Sean Maguire hasn't been scoriing much but he has been playing regularly for a Championship team that had playoff aspiration right up to the last few weeks of the season

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Sheridan isn't getting near the squad, it's baffling he's being discussed.

McGoldrick, Long, Obafemi, Connolly, Robinson, Hogan, Maguire, Collins, Idah and Parrott all ahead of him in that roughly order.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Smallbone must be a cert

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    707 Posts
    Kenny has previously said Smallbone would be with the Under 21s. That's not to say that he can't or won't change his opinion, but he seemed pretty clear on it at the press day a few weeks ago.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Cillian Sheridan? Really? Are we giving out caps based on number of countries you've played in (an impressive six, in fairness to Sheridan)? I know James Collins underwhelmed against Switzerland and Georgia but he has already opened his account for us and has 14 in his maiden season in the Championship, which ensured Luton's survival - he has over 150 league goals in his career so far. Meanwhile Scott Hogan seemed, to an extent, to rediscover the form that made us chase him while he was at Brentford. And Adam Idah has a dozen EPL games and an FA Cup Hat-trick under his belt, although I admit it may be just too early for him yet. Sean Maguire hasn't been scoriing much but he has been playing regularly for a Championship team that had playoff aspiration right up to the last few weeks of the season
    Im just saying that Cillian Sheridan is a much better option coming from the bench, because of his stats and experience, as a classic target-man # 9. Better skills than that certain Collins who isnt very mobile. Hogan is a poacher, can play there as a target man but is hot and cold. Idah wants the ball at his feet not a classic # 9. Maguire is a second striker. Wonderkid Parrott is still too young to fight off defenders at international level.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Sheridan isn't getting near the squad, it's baffling he's being discussed.

McGoldrick, Long, Obafemi, Connolly, Robinson, Hogan, Maguire, Collins, Idah and Parrott all ahead of him in that roughly order.
    I dont think Idah and Parrott are prepared for primetime yet. Robinson, Obafemi and Maguire cant play up front all alone as a classic 9. Connolly and McGoldrick are second strikers just behind the 9.even Connolly plays as left winger or right winger. Then you have the likes of Hogan and Collins whom are technically inferior players than Sheridan allround by all means

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    I think this would be my squad - not the most adventurous squad but changes will hopefully not just come in the form of players but in the current squad’s performance... and I do believe that with a new manager, everyone deserves a clean slate...

It’s probably a bit larger than he would like but there’s always an injury or two...

Randolph, McDermott, O’Leary

Doherty, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Clarke, K Long, Stevens, Brady

McCarthy, Cullen, Hendrick, Hourihane, Arter, Byrne, Browne, Molumby

McClean, Connolly, Robinson, O’Dowda

McGoldrick, S Long, Hogan, Maguire

——————

Backups:

O’Hara (GK)
    Lenihan (CB)
    Christie (RB)
    Manning (LB)
    Whelan (CM)
    Curtis (WG)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I saw Sheridan play twice last year vs Sydney FC, and I saw nothing to suggest he should be expecting a call up.
    Sure he's a big target man, but I would question if Hogan and Collins are technically inferior. I would rather start with any of the 10 other strikers ColourfulPeanut lists.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I think this would be my squad - not the most adventurous squad but changes will hopefully not just come in the form of players but in the current squad’s performance... and I do believe that with a new manager, everyone deserves a clean slate...

It’s probably a bit larger than he would like but there’s always an injury or two...

Randolph, McDermott, O’Leary

Doherty, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Clarke, K Long, Stevens, Brady

McCarthy, Cullen, Hendrick, Hourihane, Arter, Byrne, Browne, Molumby

McClean, Connolly, Robinson, O’Dowda

McGoldrick, S Long, Hogan, Maguire

——————

Backups:

O’Hara (GK)
    Lenihan (CB)
    Christie (RB)
    Manning (LB)
    Whelan (CM)
    Curtis (WG)
    Could you talk us through your choice of goalkeepers?

I know absolutely nothing about O’Leary and had even forgotten he had been in a previous squad. Have you seen McDermott? I haven’t.

Just out of curiosity, is James Talbot injured?

You’re right that it’s not very exciting, but that’s not a criticism. I think any expectation of big changes are unrealistic. Sure, there’s an exciting crop of kids on the cusp of a breakthrough but few, if any, are better than an incumbent. That said, I think there’s room on merit for at least Obafemi, Smallbone and O’Shea, notwithstanding what SK said about Smallbone very recently.

But as you say the first big change has to be in performance, which by suggestion will be the result of a change in approach. 12 months from now we’ll have a better picture of personnel evolution.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 10/08/2020 at 10:18 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    Is Kieran Westwood retired ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Is Kieran Westwood retired ?
    He's still at Sheffield Wednesday but out of favour with a while. He publicly dispelled rumours of a rift a couple of months back. Maybe you were asking if he's retired from international football though, not as far as anybody is aware I don't think, but would seem a long way back from his current standing, unless SK happens to be a massive fan.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    For keepers I'd probably go

Randolph, Travers and O'Leary.

McDermott is in Norway and not playing, I wouldn't consider him. O'Leary gets in on merit after having a great season, albeit at a lower level. Randolph's move has been a total disappointment as he hasn't played at all really but he's still our best keeper and played at this level. Travers I'd have in because we have Kelleher and Bazunu in the U21s already and he's played at the highest level already.

I don't think anybody else warrants selection.

Randolph, Travers, O'Leary

Coleman, Doherty, Duffy, Egan, Clark, Long, Stephens, Manning

McCarthy, Hendrick, Hourihane, Cullen, Browne, Molumby,

Brady, Connolly, Robinson

McGoldrick, Long, Obafemi

Is what I would go for. I don't see what McClean adds to the squad moving forward and I think O'Dowda offers absolutely nothing that we don't already have.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    mcdermott appears not to have featured (not even on bench) since the norwegian league resumed in june so is perhaps injured?

the other goalkeeper that springs to mine is kieran o'hara who is currently without a club since returned from a loan spell at burton to man utd. he was first choice at burton (mid table league one).

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    WELL let me tell you if there was a world cup or EURO now....(lets forget about this covid-19 just for a sec) these are the players that Stephen Kenny may take... checking experience, age, stats and skills.

1Randolph
    2Coleman
    3Stevens
    4Duffy
    5Clark
    6Arter
    7Hendrick
    8McCarthy
    9SLong
    10Brady
    11McClean
    12Doherty
    13KLong
    14 Byrne
    15Egan
    16Browne
    17Manning
    18Hourihane
    19Sheridan
    20Connolly
    21Robinson
    22Westwood
    23McDermott

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Could you talk us through your choice of goalkeepers?

I know absolutely nothing about O’Leary and had even forgotten he had been in a previous squad. Have you seen McDermott? I haven’t.

Just out of curiosity, is James Talbot injured?

You’re right that it’s not very exciting, but that’s not a criticism. I think any expectation of big changes are unrealistic. Sure, there’s an exciting crop of kids on the cusp of a breakthrough but few, if any, are better than an incumbent. That said, I think there’s room on merit for at least Obafemi, Smallbone and O’Shea, notwithstanding what SK said about Smallbone very recently.

But as you say the first big change has to be in performance, which by suggestion will be the result of a change in approach. 12 months from now we’ll have a better picture of personnel evolution.
    the goalkeeper situation is a top issue now. Imagine if Randolph gets an injury. Westwood is 35 didnt play last season. Youngsters are untested, the other is Sean McDermott who has plenty experience and good age.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    the goalkeeper situation is a top issue now. Imagine if Randolph gets an injury. Westwood is 35 didnt play last season. Youngsters are untested, the other is Sean McDermott who has plenty experience and good age.
    McDermott has played less than 150 senior games at 27. The highest level he's played at is the Norwegian league and 3 games in the Romanian league.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast