Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    i think all those omitting coleman from their dream teams are forgetting that SK has already confirmed he will be his captain and that colemans form this year has been quite good.
    pretty sure coleman will start thursday
    I don't think they are simply "forgetting" those points. There are plenty points regarding Doherty that Kenny has made. Plenty. People are clearly siding with their own preference or putting greater weight in Kenny saying Doherty is "one of the best full backs around for sure", that "he would be very much in the frame to play" and that "Matt had probably been undervalued by Ireland, only 3 competitive starts for Ireland at 28 years of age."

I agree that they'll get a game each. And the selection for Slovakia might be a function of their strategy for dealing with Slovakia moreso than who is the better player.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I can see Coleman and Doherty getting match each, with Coleman more likely to play in the first one.
    I wouldn't agree with that. You cant drop a guy if he is excellent for the next game just to be nice to the other guy

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I wouldn't agree with that. You cant drop a guy if he is excellent for the next game just to be nice to the other guy
    Maybe Coleman in particular is happy with the situation as Captain. Hopefully he wants the best for the Team Overall. Doherty is one of our Best Players ( certainly on Club Form ). Surely we can get him in the Team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I would be of the philosophy to play them both. This business of it didn't work against Gibraltar is nonsense. Everyone was terrible that day

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I can see them being rotated somewhat with the next year being a transition period, with Doherty playing when we are looking to attack more in a game, and Coleman coming in when we need a more solid back 4. I think how they are used this week will give a good picture of what Kenny will do.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Dan McDonnell went with his best guess of a starting 11 on OTB last night. Generally, a decently informed and connected source on Irish football and Kenny. He's going with the following (though based a lot on guesswork more than information);
    Randolph
    Doherty Egan Duffy Stevens
    Hendrick McCarthy Hourihane
    Robinson Idah McClean

He referred to Connolly, Coleman and Long as options. Maybe O'Dowda too for Robinson.

He referred specifically to the Connolly and McClean conundrum and how Kenny may adapt that position depending on the opposition. If we are concerned with an attacking right flank by Slovakia, then this is the game where he might start McClean as an audition for Slovakia.
    The game has to be an audition for the Slovakia game, otherwise ------- life has no meaning.

On Dan McDonnell being pushed into a corner on OTB to name his starting team, he wasn't at all prepared,had nothing written down and I've never heard him ramble on so aimlessly, as much as he did when hitting the wall on the last 4 or 5 players and the formation, he hedged more bets than Deutche Bank.
    It just goes to show that when someone like Dan who's familiar with Kenny over the past 10 years can't 2nd guess what Kenny is likely to chose, what chance us?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,636 Posts
    What we have is two players competing for only one spot in my opinion. It just doesnt work with our new formation to have them both in there unless you put one of them in left back for Stevens which would not make sense whatsoever. The shirt (and armband) are Colemans to lose but Doherty is breathing down his neck. As good as Matt has been over the last two years, Coleman has come back from a horrific injury and has for all intents and purposes matched him. He was sensational for Everton after the covid break.
    Last edited by SkStu; 02/09/2020 at 2:37 PM.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Well I think there's a good chance the team will be rotated to an extent between the two matches anyway, so it wouldn't be as cut-throat as you describe. There's a chance SK will want to look at as many players as possible, before the really big calls next month.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The game has to be an audition for the Slovakia game, otherwise ------- life has no meaning.

On Dan McDonnell being pushed into a corner on OTB to name his starting team, he wasn't at all prepared,had nothing written down and I've never heard him ramble on so aimlessly, as much as he did when hitting the wall on the last 4 or 5 players and the formation, he hedged more bets than Deutche Bank.
    It just goes to show that when someone like Dan who's familiar with Kenny over the past 10 years can't 2nd guess what Kenny is likely to chose, what chance us?
    It made for uncomfortable listening. Almost as uncomfortable as Joe Molloy's rant from atop his soapbox regarding the recommendation for Roy Barrett by Bank of Ireland. Utterly cringe to hear such paranoid virtue signalling from someone with no experience in corporate governance, or business in general.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    McGoldrick is injured for Bulgaria.
    Ohh. I was tempted to suggest giving Idah the run anyway. Makes that decision easy.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    What we have is two players competing for only one spot in my opinion. It just doesnt work with our new formation to have them both in there unless you put one of them in left back for Stevens which would not make sense whatsoever. The shirt (and armband) are Colemans to lose but Doherty is breathing down his neck. As good as Matt has been over the last two years, Coleman has come back from a horrific injury and has for all intents and purposes matched him. He was sensational for Everton after the covid break.
    I tried to post this earlier from my phone but it didn't seem to work - anyway, I wouldn't rule out Coleman starting as a centre half alongside Egan. If we do intend to play possession football it wouldn't really favour Duffy, as we've seen with Brighton since Potter came in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    ------------------Randolph------
    Doc-------Duffy-------------Egan (c) ---------Stevens

-------Hendrick----Jimmy Mac----Molumby---

---Long------------Idah-------------McClean

Margin calls: Hourihane; Connolly; Coleman.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I tried to post this earlier from my phone but it didn't seem to work - anyway, I wouldn't rule out Coleman starting as a centre half alongside Egan. If we do intend to play possession football it wouldn't really favour Duffy, as we've seen with Brighton since Potter came in.
    Yes I think many here simply can't conceptualize Coleman as a centre half, but I agree this could be what Kenny has in mind. It was interesting that Kenny made reference to Coleman playing there for Everton semi-regularly. I don't watch every Everton match but I only recall him playing at centre half once as the right sided member in a back three. Maybe an Everton supporter could give us more context on how often he actually has played there.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Sneaky feeling:

Randolph

Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens

Arter McCarthy Molumby

Robinson Idah McClean/Connolly

I think McClean is a perfect example of a workhorse winger that Kenny loves. But he's clearly a big fan of Connolly. That's the biggest toss up for me.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I guess it will be a 4-3-3
    -----------------randy
    Coleman-- duffy --Egan--- Stevens
    ------Hendricks - McCarthy --arter
    ---------Doherty-- long--- Connelly

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I reckon McClean is near enough first man on his team sheet.

Randolph

Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
    Hendrick McCarthy Hourihane
    Long Idah McClean

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I'm only making 1 prediction. Connolly will start and score. Basing it on probably the most stupid thing, but every time I go to social media I see him banging goals into top corner in training. Just seen an absolute scorcher from their training in the stadium tonight

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Is McClean v Connolly similar to Coleman v Doherty in that only one can start? Or does Connolly play on the right side and James on the left? Or could we have two inverted wingers with James on the right and Connolly on the left? I have a recollection of James playing on the right for us before but I could be wrong. And I can't see him being capable of playing there. Could be wrong there too.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I'm only making 1 prediction. Connolly will start and score. Basing it on probably the most stupid thing, but every time I go to social media I see him banging goals into top corner in training. Just seen an absolute scorcher from their training in the stadium tonight
    I'm hoping he starts because I want to see him play in what I think is by far his more natural position, out on the left. Always feels like he's forcing it a bit at Brighton, playing through the middle. That training goal was a cracker - again it was cutting in from the left as most of his best play tends to be.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    The radio just said Coleman will be dropped for Doherty and idah and McCarthy will start. I just caught the end of it

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast