Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Important to note too that our next U21 qualifier isn't until October. So this presents a good chance to get as many U21s involved at senior level as we want, without sacrificing our best chance to qualify at 21 level for the first time ever.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    If 4-2-3-1 I'd go with something like this -- in practice could be more of a 4-3-3 at times as McGoldrick and Connolly take up attacking positions and Doherty drops back into the defensive third.

--------------Randolph----------
    Coleman--Egan--Duffy---Stevens
    -------McCarthy----Hourihane
    Doherty------McGoldrick----Connolly
    --------------Obafemi--------
    Mcgoldrick hasn't the legs or the inclination to play as a 10 in a 433. He would offer nothing defensively leaving McCarthy and hourihane totally overloaded. Doherty was hopeless playing as a right side midfielder in a 442 he would be totally lost as the wide right side attacker in a 433. When has he ever played that position? He would make mcclean look like a silky winger in comparison. Shoe horning players into a team out of position is an awful strategy especially at a time when we have promising attacking players.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Doherty needs to play and play in his preferred position. If that means that Coleman misses out then so be it. Doherty is too good for us not to pick him in the exact role he excels at.

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Doherty needs to play and play in his preferred position. If that means that Coleman misses out then so be it. Doherty is too good for us not to pick him in the exact role he excels at.
    I totally agree on this Coleman or Doherty simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I totally agree on this Coleman or Doherty simple.
    Liamo, a couple of questions:

- Are we going to play a 3-5-2? If yes, great! If not, Doherty doesn't play in his preferred position anyway.
    - Where has Didsy played for us? As a 9 who comes back into midfield. That can't be denied by anyone. It's his strength, coming onto the ball from deep, and playing it forward. Up to now - with Ireland - he has little in front of him when he does get the ball, and he has to work double hard anyway.

If Kenny is true to wanting to have as much of the ball as possible, he'll be an attacking 4231 or 433, an he'll want his ball players and grafters on the pitch, in the positions that suit them best. He absolutely would not have made the remarks about Doherty if he wasn't going to start him. He's been clear that he doesn't want to go down the road of 3 at the back (certainly not to begin with), and he was definitive that Coleman is the captain, so honestly I don't see any other solution.

He likes a goalscorer as the focal point of attack - that's another reason I don't see McGoldrick as the 9. The only senior striker we have that has a decent record of goals at senior level is Long. Idah has a goalscoring record at underage, and in the limited number of starts at club level.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    And it's important to remember that we play Bulgaria and Finland first.
    Both are very winnable games.
    I thought it was pointed the reference he made last week to Pukki qualifying Finland on his own with 10 goals, considering we only scored 7. He made a clear distinction between scoring of goals and creating chances. McGoldrick creates chances, Idah scores goals.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    - Are we going to play a 3-5-2? If yes, great! If not, Doherty doesn't play in his preferred position anyway.
    A crucial point - "the exact role he excels at" doesn't appear to be on the table anyway.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Liamo, a couple of questions:

- Where has Didsy played for us? As a 9 who comes back into midfield. That can't be denied by anyone. It's his strength, coming onto the ball from deep, and playing it forward. Up to now - with Ireland - he has little in front of him when he does get the ball, and he has to work double hard anyway.

If Kenny is true to wanting to have as much of the ball as possible, he'll be an attacking 4231 or 433, an he'll want his ball players and grafters on the pitch, in the positions that suit them best. He absolutely would not have made the remarks about Doherty if he wasn't going to start him. He's been clear that he doesn't want to go down the road of 3 at the back (certainly not to begin with), and he was definitive that Coleman is the captain, so honestly I don't see any other solution.

He likes a goalscorer as the focal point of attack - that's another reason I don't see McGoldrick as the 9. The only senior striker we have that has a decent record of goals at senior level is Long. Idah has a goalscoring record at underage, and in the limited number of starts at club level.
    Hi kingdom. I was responding to the post that had us playing 433 which I think is likely the formation. In that formation I cant see how mcgoldrick can be the point of the diamond in a 3 man midfield he just does not have the athleticism or discipline. If we were playing 442 he would be a perfect 10 as a partner up top for an obafemi or long droping deep getting turned linking with the number 9 but in a 433 that number 10 needs to be someone like Byrne, Brady, hourihane or smallbone (would love if it was crowley) and even then they would all need be really disciplined and conditioned to do the defensive side the lenght and breath of the pitch. Mcgoldrick just isn't enough of an athlete for that .

Doherty or Coleman are both good right backs. I agree Doherty is much more suited to right wing back and is defensively suspect as a right back when he doesnt have 3 centre halves covering him. But still I would have him start ahead of Seamus as a right full and hopefully develop in that role. If u play Doherty as the right side of a front 3 you turn 433 into a lopsided 541 with Doherty sucked back into midfield and lacking the guile and creativity to help create chances in tight congested spaces where he is not running on to the ball and has to play with his back to goal. I'd hate to give up long or Robinson or obafemi or even o dowda playing in that position to fit in Doherty. Doherty is maybe 28 and has never played in an attacking 3 I really cant see why we would do it other than wanting to get Coleman and Doherty into the team because they are in our top 11 individual iplayers , but we know 11 individual players isn't the same as a cohesive team for instance someone had molumby McCarthy and Cullen playing as a midfield 3. Now each of those are lovely players but only 2 can be part of a 3 because otherwise you have no one who is suited to been the advanced player in the 3 , which happened earlier in McCarthy's career with us when we played him out of position and then criticised him. You need to pick players in my opinion who suit the position not because they are the next best player in a generic category such as centre midfielder . An attacking midfielder who is a 7 out of 10 as an attacking midfielder is better in that position than a defensive midfielder who is an 8 out of 10 as a player in his preferred position.

Exciting times really hope Kenny makes tough decisions and picks players to suit positions and the way he wants to play not just putting square pegs into round holes even if those square pegs are very good players

15. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    yes i think he is gonna start this team. The Idah remark is good. He may even play McClean anywhere on the pitch. He is a great player with a lot of heart. With McCarthy he could form a great partnership.

where McGoldrick is gonna play?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    i keep on with my team: i THINK he would try with Connolly up front but im not sure.

may play McGoldrick or Long up front.

Duffy or K.Long

Connolly as a forward with MCClean out wide? Or Connolly taking responsabilities and helping Stevens
    i prefer Connolly roaming around...
    I see Manning out wide left or in midfield as well.
    Doherty can cover right left back and christie as well. There are some youngsters who could cover left back as well..... that Collins chap is just 19 years old fast...is an option as a makeshift left back

in a 4-2-3-1
    1-Kelleher or Randolph
    2-Coleman (c) or Doherty or O'Connor
    3-Stevens or Doherty
    4-K.Long or Duffy
    5-Egan or Clark
    6-Hourihane or Arter
    7-Doherty or Robinson
    8-McCarthy or Hendrick
    9-S.Long or McGoldrick or Idah/Obafemi
    10-Brady or Byrne or Manning
    11-Connolly or McClean or Odowda
    Last edited by Bielsa´s irish; 18/08/2020 at 6:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    You've been warned about random capitals Bielsa. Drop the YBIG routine.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    You've been warned about random capitals Bielsa. Drop the YBIG routine.
    d'accord Javert! lets go back to topic. allez aussi victor hugo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    cant be too long for this squad to be announced, right? like now!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Squad announced Monday along with a new kit apparently!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    i keep on with my team: i THINK he would try with Connolly up front but im not sure.

may play McGoldrick or Long up front.

Duffy or K.Long

Connolly as a forward with MCClean out wide? Or Connolly taking responsabilities and helping Stevens
    i prefer Connolly roaming around...
    I see Manning out wide left or in midfield as well.
    Doherty can cover right left back and christie as well. There are some youngsters who could cover left back as well..... that Collins chap is just 19 years old fast...is an option as a makeshift left back

in a 4-2-3-1
    1-Kelleher or Randolph
    2-Coleman (c) or Doherty or O'Connor
    3-Stevens or Doherty
    4-K.Long or Duffy
    5-Egan or Clark
    6-Hourihane or Arter
    7-Doherty or Robinson
    8-McCarthy or Hendrick
    9-S.Long or McGoldrick or Idah/Obafemi
    10-Brady or Byrne or Manning
    11-Connolly or McClean or Odowda

Im sorry but this is daft, you have O'Connor as a possible starter? "The kid needs to see if hes up to League 2 standard 1st.

I really dont like the idea of Doherty starting in a front 3. Hes a good attacking fullback but hes not a forward. If he had to be shoehorned in somewhere Id rather it be left back, or have Coleman go to left back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    He's a troll who got bored on YBIG and is trying the same tired routines here.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Im sorry but this is daft, you have O'Connor as a possible starter? "The kid needs to see if hes up to League 2 standard 1st.

I really dont like the idea of Doherty starting in a front 3. Hes a good attacking fullback but hes not a forward. If he had to be shoehorned in somewhere Id rather it be left back, or have Coleman go to left back.
    He's a WUM .... With form.

26. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Thanks lads, I'll ignore him in future.

On the Doherty point though, I know others have said he has to be in the team somehow, even if it means Coleman gets dropped. Coleman is captain and will not be dropped any time soon so I think that Doherty will probably just his back up unless he can switch to the left. Although I think Stephens will have a lot to say about that.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    well im not a wum or troll or whatever you call it. I have been prosecuted since i posted that i wasnt from Hurlingham, Argentina where iam right now

My knowledge is there. I guess SK will give chances to the yougnsters and he is gonna built for the future

tetsujin1979 man, you are a maniac iam an honest fan, knock it off my dear flower

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I really dont like the idea of Doherty starting in a front 3. Hes a good attacking fullback but hes not a forward.
    I'm not sure if anybody is quite suggesting that, though I might be wrong. I think it was Nigel-Harps who said Kenny is a 4-3-3 manager and unlikely to change too much from that. On that basis I'd assume Doherty (if shoehorned) would be right of the midfield three, as opposed to the attacking three.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast