Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Was it smallbone that referred to the rep of Ireland as" them" ?
    I might be misquoting tbf

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Was it smallbone that referred to the rep of Ireland as" them" ?
    I might be misquoting tbf
    I think that might be correct but he also gave an interview more recent than that where he said his ambition was to play for the senior team as soon as possible

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Discussing S.K's first eleven vs Bulgaria on September 3rd. Nations league

We are just two weeks away from S.K first game and i have seen a lot of his team play in the Toulon tournament with oconnor ronan etc..

he plays grass football from the back with a back 4 line. with two central midifielders and 3 supporting attacking midfield players and a main number 9. in a 4-2-3-1

This I do think this is gonna be S.K first eleven in my opinion, just because of what he said, and preparing for the games with slovakia and maybe bosnia/nordies.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................

McGoldrick doesnt suit his team as a number 9. Maybe in Brady's place as a number 10, in the hole. He talked a lot about Robbie Brady, i think he is gonna be his number 10.

Right Midfield i think is gonna be young Doherty or Robinson.

and the goalkeeper spot, i am more than sure that he is gonna blood those Kelleher's gloves sooner than later.

I think he is gonna choose Kevin Long over Duffy because Duffy has a tendency to boot it long from the back.

From what i watched on espn last year, his team switches from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-3 when attacking.

The James McCarthy role is of a playmaker role from the back. He uses a deep-lying playmaker.

i think that is gonna be his first 11

Kelleher/Randolph

Coleman K.Long/Duffy Egan Stevens

McCarthy Hourihane

Doherty Brady Connolly

McGoldrick/S.Long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Interesting assessment RE: Brady. Would not be thrilled to see McGoldrick lead the line as I don't think that role suits him.

If Kenny is going to focus on football, I'd suggest Clark will be well placed to start, as I'd say he's probably our best footballing centre half.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Threads merged
    Don't start the same thread twice
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Interesting assessment RE: Brady. Would not be thrilled to see McGoldrick lead the line as I don't think that role suits him.

If Kenny is going to focus on football, I'd suggest Clark will be well placed to start, as I'd say he's probably our best footballing centre half.
    Yeah i mean McGoldrick is a clever passer but better as a second striker just behind the 9, he likes to roam around, getting involved. That goal in Gibraltar was his crafty "impronta".

yeah but clark is out injured. I can see this Egan-Clark partnership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I guess what I'm saying is....McGoldrick is in the form of his life and Brady has been up to a whole lot of nothing for an extended period now. Why should we give Brady such a crucial position and play McGoldrick essentially out of a position as a No. 9?

I'd love to include Brady somewhere on the field but I'm not sure on form he's earned it (and I appreciate he's had a horrible time with injuries and it isn't entirely his fault).

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I guess what I'm saying is....McGoldrick is in the form of his life and Brady has been up to a whole lot of nothing for an extended period now. Why should we give Brady such a crucial position and play McGoldrick essentially out of a position as a No. 9?

I'd love to include Brady somewhere on the field but I'm not sure on form he's earned it (and I appreciate he's had a horrible time with injuries and it isn't entirely his fault).
    well, Yes but McGoldrick played better for Ireland than for the blades. Now, where to place him? For me, just behind the main striker (Shane Long), but that depends on the system he comes up with.
    Last edited by Bielsa´s irish; 17/08/2020 at 9:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Disagree that McGoldrick played better for us than Sheffield United. He has been absolutely vital for the Blades despite his low goal output.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Disagree that McGoldrick played better for us than Sheffield United. He has been absolutely vital for the Blades despite his low goal output.
    we've got to rate strikers for their goals scored. Defenders for defending and midfielders for marking and creating football. That club got lucky, because goals came from everywhere, but he has to score more. Simple.

McGoldrick needs the football around him, at his feet. He is more of a bit like a classic number 10 than a number 9.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Agree re Brady. He is way off a number 10 role or even centre mid at any decent level at this stage of his career.

His awareness and speed of thought is too slow. He' need to be coming on to tne ball and have rhe game in front of him.

That's why he spends most of his time at Left full / left wing back now.

Re Kenny line up McGoldrick could play a Firmino role , dropping deep and with the pace of connolly / long or obamei out wide. 433

12. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    Agree re Brady. He is way off a number 10 role or even centre mid at any decent level at this stage of his career.

His awareness and speed of thought is too slow. He' need to be coming on to tne ball and have rhe game in front of him.

That's why he spends most of his time at Left full / left wing back now.

Re Kenny line up McGoldrick could play a Firmino role , dropping deep and with the pace of connolly / long or obamei out wide. 433
    im based on the players SK likes or has talked about. if we play 4-3-3 Shane Long has to start as a number 7 role, right forward, which is for me his best position. The today's 4-3-3 needs lots of energy and practice otherwise youve got outnumbered in midfield.

i think Kenny will try a 4-2-3-1 from what i ve watched of his teams for Eire.

Brady cant play left back in my opinion, only as an emergency cover. But the guy is a midfielder

i would try a 3-3-1-3 but thats very hard in a training camp of 3 days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    If 4-2-3-1 I'd go with something like this -- in practice could be more of a 4-3-3 at times as McGoldrick and Connolly take up attacking positions and Doherty drops back into the defensive third.

--------------Randolph----------
    Coleman--Egan--Duffy---Stevens
    -------McCarthy----Hourihane
    Doherty------McGoldrick----Connolly
    --------------Obafemi--------

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    we've got to rate strikers for their goals scored.
    Chris Wilder disagrees entirely with that. I strongly suspect Stephen Kenny does / will as well.

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    we've got to rate strikers for their goals scored. Defenders for defending and midfielders for marking and creating football. That club got lucky, because goals came from everywhere, but he has to score more. Simple.

McGoldrick needs the football around him, at his feet. He is more of a bit like a classic number 10 than a number 9.
    No we don't. Roberto Firmino scored 9 goals this season.

That's less than:
    Neal Maupay
    Troy Deeney
    Michail Antonio
    Teemu Pukki
    Dominic Calvert-Lewin
    Chris Wood
    Tammy Abraham

Do you think they're all better strikers or they've had a better season than him? Rating strikers on goals alone is nonsense and shows a complete misunderstanding of the roles they play in the team or the nuances to the position. Why do you think Sheffield United got goals from elsewhere? Why do you think Wilder rates him so much? He's a very good footballer in fine form, he's crucial to how they play and he'll be a key figure for us.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I think Sheridan is a proven number 9, the guy is playing at a higher level than the likes of Hogan and Collins. And for the last 5 years. He could be a super-sub. Played C.L Europa league etc. Knows eastern europe, which is a plus! Keeps on scoring goals, is a penalty taker. Of course Daryl Murphy was preferred by MON-Roy in that place. We need options and different assets upfront.

I will put Kelleher as Randolph´s understudy like Given was.
    I always like the idea of having something of an unknown quantity up front.
    I’d like to see him in green again.
    He’s decent with ball at feet but is a serious aerial threat which we don’t really have at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I think Kenny wont change a bit for this year matches and he will try to prepare the 11 for the Slovakia game later on. And because of this crisis worldwide he wont be calling a squad bigger than a 25/28 players panel I think if everyone is fit and injury free.

i think he will bring some younsters by degrees. Will check the granny-rule boys, and will check some options up-front better than lackluster players Hogan and Collins)
    Good post. I wouldn't be surprised to see the squad link up in England ahead of travelling to Bulgaria, it would be understandable. This is what I think will come to pass for a travelling squad.

GK: Randolph; Travers; McDermott;
    DF: Coleman; Christie; Duffy; Long; Egan; Dara O'Shea; Stevens; Manning;
    MF: Doherty; Molumby; McCarthy; Cullen; Hendrick; Brady; Byrne; McClean;
    FW: McGoldrick; Idah; Connolly; Obafemi;

I think one of Brady or Hourihane is in trouble. Personally I'd like to see Alan Browne included, but I think it would be hard for Kenny to include Molumby, Byrne, Cullen and Browne ahead of Brady and Hourihane, despite Brady not being in anyway effective for a long time for us, and in general.
    I just have a gut feeling that Idah is going to be included, and honestly, I think he'll start in Bulgaria. The boy scores goals, its that simple.

-------------Randolph,

Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens;
    --------Molumby, McCarthy,

---Doherty, McGoldrick, Connolly,
    -----------------Idah
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Good mixture there and a nice looking side. The (probably necessary) shoehorning of Doherty aside, looks very well balanced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Good post. I wouldn't be surprised to see the squad link up in England ahead of travelling to Bulgaria, it would be understandable. This is what I think will come to pass for a travelling squad.

GK: Randolph; Travers; McDermott;
    DF: Coleman; Christie; Duffy; Long; Egan; Dara O'Shea; Stevens; Manning;
    MF: Doherty; Molumby; McCarthy; Cullen; Hendrick; Brady; Byrne; McClean;
    FW: McGoldrick; Idah; Connolly; Obafemi;

I think one of Brady or Hourihane is in trouble. Personally I'd like to see Alan Browne included, but I think it would be hard for Kenny to include Molumby, Byrne, Cullen and Browne ahead of Brady and Hourihane, despite Brady not being in anyway effective for a long time for us, and in general.
    I just have a gut feeling that Idah is going to be included, and honestly, I think he'll start in Bulgaria. The boy scores goals, its that simple.

-------------Randolph,

Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens;
    --------Molumby, McCarthy,

---Doherty, McGoldrick, Connolly,
    -----------------Idah
    don't think he will pick cullen ahead of hourihane. he will pick long over obafami. other than that id agree with the above squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts

Under Charlton, and McCarthy at times (2002 Qualifying) strikers were often low on scoring. Didn't matter as long as the team were scoring
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast