Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I’ve seen McDermott play twice but in late 2018, so not recently. He was very good though and have kept an eye out for highlights now and then. As for O’Leary, saw him play 2 games for Shrewsbury, first was against Liverpool where he was excellent and really stood out. There was a lot more than what’s contained in the highlights but you’ll get an idea... https://youtu.be/D0CWIRrAKzE

If Travers was playing regularly somewhere, he’d probably be in or around my squad but I think the prospect of having a chance to play football at 21s might be better for him. he basically played nothing last season (id say 5 or less games, mostly in cups)

O’Hara meanwhile has conceded a good few clangers over the last year. It would make you worry. I wouldn’t write him off entirely but he’s probably a notch short of being good enough to play for Ireland.

Talbot has a foot injury apparently. He’s probably at about the same level as O’Hara for me. There’s ability there but also mistakes (thinking vs Rovers in that really rainy day). The old guard probably consists of Westwood and Elliot, neither played last year.

A few years ago all of Lawlor, Danny Rogers and O’Malley were highly rated but none seem to have panned out and McCarey has spent the last year on Dundalk’s bench.

As for the rest of the squad, I kinda ruled out Obafemi and Smallbone just based on Kenny’s comments but I would probably try to find a place for Smallbone. Centre midfield is an unusual position because you’ve got a few players who haven’t really had an opportunity yet (Cullen, Browne, Byrne, Molumby), players who have been regularly injured (McCarthy, Arter) and then the lads who played regularly in the last campaign (Hourihane, Hendrick, Whelan). It’s loaded with players who are all at a similar enough level (there are no superstars) but they’re all very different players. Hard to really reduce it down...

My only feeling with O’Shea is that he’s behind Doherty and Coleman on the right and Egan, Duffy and Clarke in the centre. So realistically he’s not going to be more than a fringe player for now. I’d rather him continue with the 21s at least when they’re playing competitive games until after the playoffs

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Our goalkeeper situation is deadly serious. Our No 1 doesn't play and he is an automatic starter. If he injured we could he in hot water.

I like Max O leary ahead of the rest.

Mark travers has to be playing so we know how good he is ( or possibly not)

Max O leary is highly rated re Shrewsbury(as per this site)

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport...season-so-far/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Sheffield United appear determined to sign Aaron Ramsdale, which might give Travers a chance of starting the season as Bournemouth's number one?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    For Kenny to play the type of game he seems to want to then a keeper who is comfortable and ambitious on the ball will be key. Kelleher gives that option far better than anyone else . Kelleher for the 21s takes up great positions 5 to 10 yards outside the box to allow him to influence the game and allow his centre halves to push on and compress the space in the middle of the pitch.

Randolph and Duffy have done the exact opposite for us conceding space and having us defend constantly on the edge of our box draghing our midfield back leaving massive space between our front players and the rest of the team. I cant remember randolf ever getting on the ball outside his box and getting involved in the play and making himself a spare man for maintaining possesion. I cant see how our midfield can be expected to influence games in a better way if our keeper and centre halves are not going to be better in possesion and braver to hold a much higher line. Duffy has been excellent for us in a highlights kind of way and I love his sheer passion but he has also been a problem by sitting deep to protect himself which makes any cohesive play between our midfield and attach nearly impossible

6. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    For Kenny to play the type of game he seems to want to then a keeper who is comfortable and ambitious on the ball will be key. Kelleher gives that option far better than anyone else . Kelleher for the 21s takes up great positions 5 to 10 yards outside the box to allow him to influence the game and allow his centre halves to push on and compress the space in the middle of the pitch.

Randolph and Duffy have done the exact opposite for us conceding space and having us defend constantly on the edge of our box draghing our midfield back leaving massive space between our front players and the rest of the team. I cant remember randolf ever getting on the ball outside his box and getting involved in the play and making himself a spare man for maintaining possesion. I cant see how our midfield can be expected to influence games in a better way if our keeper and centre halves are not going to be better in possesion and braver to hold a much higher line. Duffy has been excellent for us in a highlights kind of way and I love his sheer passion but he has also been a problem by sitting deep to protect himself which makes any cohesive play between our midfield and attach nearly impossible
    Well egan can be a solution there...kelleher can be ireland number 1 but the guy is too pretty and fair for a goalkeeper. Keepers must be ugly and act like crazy son of bitches.

Maybe he is gonna do what Mick did in 98. Start the team with the youngsters and only a few experience players. As it seems James McCarthy is gonna be team captain. According to what Kenny said about him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Where did Kenny say that?

And I thought he was on the record as saying the kids can wait (not quite his words but the jist).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    Well egan can be a solution there...kelleher can be ireland number 1 but the guy is too pretty and fair for a goalkeeper. Keepers must be ugly and act like crazy son of bitches.

Maybe he is gonna do what Mick did in 98. Start the team with the youngsters and only a few experience players. As it seems James McCarthy is gonna be team captain. According to what Kenny said about him.
    kenny has already confirmed that coleman will remain as captain.
    mick had no choice in 96 but to try out the younger players. despite that the likes of townsend, houghton and cascarino were all still involved in micks first campaign

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    what about Stephen Henderson?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    I think Kenny wont change a bit for this year matches and he will try to prepare the 11 for the Slovakia game later on. And because of this crisis worldwide he wont be calling a squad bigger than a 25/28 players panel I think if everyone is fit and injury free.

i think he will bring some younsters by degrees. Will check the granny-rule boys, and will check some options up-front better than lackluster players Hogan and Collins)

GKEEPERS (Randolph-McDermott-Kelleher)
    DEFENDERS (Coleman-O'Connor-Duffy-K.Long-Egan-Clark-Stevens-Doherty-Manning)
    MIDFIELDERS(Arter-McCarthy-Cullen-Hendrick-McClean-Brady-Hourihane-Byrne-Browne-Smallbone)
    FORWARDS (McGoldrick-Robinson-S.Long-Connolly-Obafemi-Sheridan)
    I couldnt figure out who Sheridan was in this until I read further down, bit shocked that it was Cillian Sheridan you think should be included. There is zero chance that is happening.

Kelleher is not even sub keeper for Liverpool these days. He needs to go play somewhere this year even if its just a loan, I dont see him ever being Liverpool 1st choice so permanent move would be better.

Lee O Connor is miles from this squad. Hes miles from the Celtic squad too. Whoever advised him a move to Celtic when they were also signing Frimpong should be sacked. Although he didnt do himself any good on loan last year either.

Is Arter still a footballer?
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 12/08/2020 at 6:35 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I couldnt figure out who Sheridan was in this until I read further down, bit shocked that it was Cillian Sheridan you think should be included. There is zero chance that is happening.

Kelleher is not even sub keeper for Liverpool these days. He needs to go play somewhere this year even if its just a loan, I dont see him ever being Liverpool 1st choice so permanent move would be better.

Is Arter still a footballer?
    I think Sheridan is a proven number 9, the guy is playing at a higher level than the likes of Hogan and Collins. And for the last 5 years. He could be a super-sub. Played C.L Europa league etc. Knows eastern europe, which is a plus! Keeps on scoring goals, is a penalty taker. Of course Daryl Murphy was preferred by MON-Roy in that place. We need options and different assets upfront.

I will put Kelleher as Randolph´s understudy like Given was.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Where did Kenny say that?

And I thought he was on the record as saying the kids can wait (not quite his words but the jist).
    well some kids are ready. That kid Lee O´Connor has been brillant every time ive seen him. He is like a brazilian right back!!
    b

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    I think Sheridan is a proven number 9, the guy is playing at a higher level than the likes of Hogan and Collins. And for the last 5 years. He could be a super-sub. Played C.L Europa league etc. Knows eastern europe, which is a plus! Keeps on scoring goals, is a penalty taker. Of course Daryl Murphy was preferred by MON-Roy in that place. We need options and different assets upfront.

I will put Kelleher as Randolph´s understudy like Given was.
    Proven where? He changes club every season. Really interesting guy actually but hes the ultimate journeyman. Fair play to him hes made a good career for himself but hes not even close to an international quality striker. Hes not even a Championship level striker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    well some kids are ready. That kid Lee O´Connor has been brillant every time ive seen him. He is like a brazilian right back!!
    b
    Hes been good for the u21s but his club career is a disaster so far

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Proven where? He changes club every season. Really interesting guy actually but hes the ultimate journeyman. Fair play to him hes made a good career for himself but hes not even close to an international quality striker. Hes not even a Championship level striker.
    Check his stats they are very good. His standard is higher than some strikers from a Championship low table team. Champioship is not better than the polish 1st division. Now if Hogan gets game time for Villa that changes. But he has been discarded

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Check his stats they are very good. His standard is higher than some strikers from a Championship low table team. Champioship is not better than the polish 1st division. Now if Hogan gets game time for Villa that changes. But he has been discarded
    Here are his stats for last few years...
    2017–2018 Jagiellonia Białystok 52 (17)
    2019 Wellington Phoenix 17 (1)
    2019–2020 Ironi Kiryat Shmona 19 (4)
    2020– Wisła Płock 11 (2)

17 goals in 52 games 4 years ago was ok, but since then only 1 goal in 17 in NZ, 4 goals in Israel and 2 back in Poland..... not exactly a player on the up in his career. I actually cant believe this is even a debate!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Kenny has previously said Smallbone would be with the Under 21s. That's not to say that he can't or won't change his opinion, but he seemed pretty clear on it at the press day a few weeks ago.
    I hadnt see that quote but Id be disappointed if hes not in the squad. Hes now a regular starter or off the bench for a decent Southampton team so Id have him involved, especially for the Nations League. 5 mins towards the end of a game would also end any future speculation on his allegiances. I normally wouldnt suggest that, but since there is a decent argument to have him in the squad I would go with it this time.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I hadnt see that quote but Id be disappointed if hes not in the squad. Hes now a regular starter or off the bench for a decent Southampton team so Id have him involved, especially for the Nations League. 5 mins towards the end of a game would also end any future speculation on his allegiances. I normally wouldnt suggest that, but since there is a decent argument to have him in the squad I would go with it this time.
    Maybe Kenny is saying 21s for WS because he isn't available for a cap which would tie him, its possible. Because SK definitely said he's U21s for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Maybe Kenny is saying 21s for WS because he isn't available for a cap which would tie him, its possible. Because SK definitely said he's U21s for now.
    Does the Nations League not tie him? Or are you saying that Kenny doesnt want to put pressure on Smallbone to tie him?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I'm saying it's possible WS is undecided and SK is in diplomatic mode about it. Hope not, but his stance on WS goes against previously stated intentions to manage these situations speedily, a little. Look, its probably a bottle of smoke and he'll play an NL game and this will be done and dusted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I'm saying it's possible WS is undecided and SK is in diplomatic mode about it. Hope not, but his stance on WS goes against previously stated intentions to manage these situations speedily, a little. Look, its probably a bottle of smoke and he'll play an NL game and this will be done and dusted.
    Yeah I cant imagine Kenny having any patience with undecided players based on previous comments.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast