Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I agree. Hendrick for me is a superior player to McCarthy.
    i disagree. Hendrick is a lapse player. McCarthy is our main midfielder and football brain, I agree with SK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I agree. Hendrick for me is a superior player to McCarthy.
    Even though some guys on a Burnley forum didn't care that their record signing (at the time) went on a free?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Even though some guys on a Burnley forum didn't care that their record signing (at the time) went on a free?
    Yes because I never said he was a world beater like some on here go on about McCarthy. Add to that Burnley are a better team than Crystal Palace. I can see you are struggling with the finer points of these comparisons but even you must see the difference here.

Also did most of the Burnley fans think he wasn't good enough to start in their team whilst there?
    Last edited by youngirish; 05/09/2020 at 6:22 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    I can see you are struggling with the finer points of these comparisons but even you must see the difference here.
    Jesus YI - this isn't boards here. Would you relax. You can make a point without coming across so aggressive.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Yes because I never said he was a world beater like some on here go on about McCarthy. Add to that Burnley are a better team than Crystal Palace. I can see you are struggling with the finer points of these comparisons but even you must see the difference here.

Also did most of the Burnley fans think he wasn't good enough to start in their team whilst there?
    Crystal Palace lost like 7 game in a row, but they were a better side before that hiatus

I watched a Matty Holland interview where he stated something similar about what i said.

sit hourihane as a cover of the back 4 as a central mid. and free Jimbo McCarthy's energy, and assets in a more advanced role.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    i disagree. Hendrick is a lapse player. McCarthy is our main midfielder and football brain, I agree with SK
    Kenny picked both players
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Kenny picked both players
    Check a Matty Holland interview where he stated something similar about what i said.

Sit hourihane as a cover of the back 4 as a central mid. and free Jimbo McCarthy's energy, and assets in a more advanced role.

Take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I think Hendrick is getting Whelan-like flak- some will have a pop regardless of the performance. I thought he was really good Thursday. He was really good especially when you consider his midfield partners didn't make much impact on the game whilst he tried really hard and showed flashes of quality.
    Ah jayus ole ole, Hendricks was a 6 out of 10 at best. McCarthy was a 5 and conor wasn't involved enough to rate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    You overestimate me, I think you're splitting hairs to be honest re: Burnley/Palace. Neither did I see anybody putting McCarthy forward as a "world beater". I'm sure any comments were in the context of our own situation, where the return of an established PL midfielder may be seen in a positive light.

I didn't scroll their message boards to know for sure, but I'm sure you'll find whatever you need to prove me wrong (or right).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If ya want to play international football ya have to be prepared to take the potential hits that go with it. Perhaps he would be better concentrating on his club career. International football has not worked out for him so far anyway.
    Really, it has not worked out for him? I must have imagined him anchoring the midfield that got us all the way to the knockout phases of Euro 2016.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Really, it has not worked out for him? I must have imagined him anchoring the midfield that got us all the way to the knockout phases of Euro 2016.
    If you erased all James McCarthy’s efforts for Ireland very few Irish fans would notice much / anything gone. He obviously had ability /potential when he was a young player. Did well for wigan, Ok for Everton for Awhile. Probably due to injury and perhaps even being over played as a young player he has never fulfilled what some people thought he could be. It happens to lost of players for all sorts of reasons.

At this stage of his career he is lower to bottom of the Premier League Player. He certainly has not performed for Ireland as some have hoped he would. He couldn’t force Glenn Whelan ( Glenn was what he was, but nobody would say he was a world Beater ) out of the Irish team for his supposed best position.

Some Irish Fans are always on about a Messiah ( usually the fella that is not there ). Sometimes the “ Messiah “ is not the Messiah.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Have a look at the buildup to Wes Hoolahan's goal against Sweden. We attack, and the Swedes clear the ball. McCarthy anticipates exactly where the Swedes are going to clear the ball to, and intercepts it before the Swedish midfielder can even get there.McCarthy doesn't dwell on the ball either, he knows exactly what he is going to do with the ball before he even gets to it, he is going to play it out to Coleman.

It's an exact example of tidy midfield work that doesn't get noticed. No booming thundering tackle, no defence splitting pass. Just knowing exactly where to stand and exactly what to do. Doing the small things right. Stuff like that is rarer than you'd think in a player.

I remember when I was playing football. I was a right back. One season we had a dimwit coach who criticised me for not making enough tackles and not imposing myself on the game. He dropped me. In the next match, we were hammered, with the other team's assists coming down our right. Turns out I never had to tackle as a right back, because I knew where to stand.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Have a look at the buildup to Wes Hoolahan's goal against Sweden. We attack, and the Swedes clear the ball. McCarthy anticipates exactly where the Swedes are going to clear the ball to, and intercepts it before the Swedish midfielder can even get there.McCarthy doesn't dwell on the ball either, he knows exactly what he is going to do with the ball before he even gets to it, he is going to play it out to Coleman.

It's an exact example of tidy midfield work that doesn't get noticed. No booming thundering tackle, no defence splitting pass. Just knowing exactly where to stand and exactly what to do. Doing the small things right. Stuff like that is rarer than you'd think in a player.

I remember when I was playing football. I was a right back. One season we had a dimwit coach who criticised me for not making enough tackles and not imposing myself on the game. He dropped me. In the next match, we were hammered, with the other team's assists coming down our right. Turns out I never had to tackle as a right back, because I knew where to stand.
    When talking about tackling I always remember this piece from Xabi Alonso

One of the Premier League’s most successful imports, Xabi Alonso, perhaps gave the most damning testimony as to why England can’t crack it at international level. “I don’t think tackling is a quality,” he said. “At Liverpool I used to read the matchday programme and you’d read an interview with a lad from the youth team. They’d ask: age, heroes, strong points, etc. He’d reply: ‘Shooting and tackling’. I can’t get into my head that football development would educate tackling as a quality, something to learn, to teach, a characteristic of your play. How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don’t understand football in those terms. Tackling is a [last] resort and you will need it, but it isn’t a quality to aspire to, a definition.”
    He ends by touching on the biggest problem facing the next generation of England players. “It’s hard to change because it’s so rooted in the English football culture.” During our games it is noticeable that every 50-50 challenge is met with a roar of approval from the crowd and even if you don’t win the ball, often there is a ripple of applause. For some players it is how they’re accepted and how they judge whether they’ve had a good or bad game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

You need to speak slowly and clearly for del. He'll pick the 3% argument of a point made and use that as a battering ram.

Personally I thought Hendrick did well Thursday. The best of a poor lot but no one else seems to agree because they're clouded by a 45 min showing from one or two others.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    You need to speak slowly and clearly for del. He'll pick the 3% argument of a point made and use that as a battering ram.
    i think you’re talking about yourself there Paul. Give it a rest. Tedious beyond belief.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    It would have been handy if James McCarthy had got a tackle of a block on the Bulgarian Fella the other night all the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

Personally I thought Hendrick did well Thursday. The best of a poor lot but no one else seems to agree because they're clouded by a 45 min showing from one or two others.
    Always rated Hendrick myself.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    You did! I didn't and haven't but I can acknowledge when I see a decent performance. Still though 1 summer doesn't make a swallow
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    The Welsh are struggling to break down Bulgaria at home. 0-0 after 65 mins. The share of the ball has been pretty even. This would be a great result for us if we can win today ourselves.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    The Welsh are struggling to break down Bulgaria at home. 0-0 after 65 mins. The share of the ball has been pretty even. This would be a great result for us if we can win today ourselves.
    the welsh just scored in injury time.. Neco Williams. Neco!!! im not afraid of the welsh team, beatable

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast