Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Deserved the goal,great delivery
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    told ye.. im having a deju vu episode here.. i think we score another

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Is that a more things change the more things stay the same lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Phew.

I’d be raging if I was the Bulgarian manager the marking for that corner. Jesus.

Will take a point. Midfield needs sorting out. We’ve all been banging on about it for years, I don’t think Hourihane and McCarthy can make the step up needed for this system to be fully effective. Not good enough not brave enough on the ball.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Ha, and how many times have we conceded a late one like that too!!
    Good goal
    .made by Brady entirely..fair play to him.
    A couple of comments

.every time I looked at Doherty his passing seemed poor but that may not be entirely fair.
    Connolly looked bright and capable
    Our midfield looked stale is a diplomatic way of putting it.
    Stevens is decent
    I like Robinson as a supersub
    Would have liked to see molumby...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    PS, still think we score last minute.. hon Ireland
    indeed

Blog

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    Connolly our man of the match? Looked bright all through. Midfield has a tough job in that system and got tired. Would be interested to see Arter and Molumby getting a run in there too. I though Hendrick was the best of the three first half and Hourihane had some good moments in the second, but none of them consistent enough.

Delighted for Kenny that they got the draw though. Must have been at least 65% possession? Under the last 3 managers we’d have had 30% possession and had to listen to bull about how the Bulgarians are very good technically and we can’t pass the ball the way they do.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    A lot more positives than negatives. Midfield continues to be a conundrum. Doherty for me continues to be a perfect fit for Wolves system but not a particularly good RB. Our defening for their goal was very poor but probably more down to Midfield.

Looking forward to the weekend.

Blog

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    I'll take a 1-1 away result ground out with good football over a Trap/MON/Mick/Jack 0-0 away result backs to the wall thing any day.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Connolly was good / very good.

Idah did ok for a young fella making his debut.

Doherty is a much better wing back than full back. I suppose he did not make any serious mistakes and he is relatively inexperienced at international level.

McCarthy was not the Messiah in this game anyway.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    1-1. Fair result but I thought Ireland were the better team against what was very limited opposition.

Positives
    - We actually tried to play football.
    - Connolly looked dangerous on the left.
    - Long and Brady looked good when they came on.
    - O'Dowda had a very good 30 minutes in the first half.
    - Good old Irish goal when we needed it from Duffy.
    - Some nice passes from Hourihane.

Negatives
    - James McCarthy offered nothing and was rightly substituted.
    - Doherty didn't justify his inclusion over Coleman.
    - O'Dowda was poor in the second half.
    - Terrible defending for the centre backs for the goal, in particular Duffy.
    - Little creativity in the team. Only Connolly and Hourihane offered anything in this regard until Long and Brady came on.
    Last edited by youngirish; 03/09/2020 at 8:50 PM.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    I have sympathy for Doherty. It is no coincidence that he looked much better when O'Dowda went off.

In the first half when O'Dowda was doing well, he was cutting inside and retaining the ball. He never found Doherty in space on the overlap, not the underlap for that matter. And in the second half Doherty was just isolated.

Stevens and Connolly dovetailed much better on the opposite flank because Connolly was making more dangerous runs both inside and outside the Bulgarian full back and was able to pull narrow when Stevens went outside him.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Decent first half, faded second half, nice not to lose.

There's a structure to the team in attack, we had 8/9 players in their final third at times, but less so in defence. That system will need midfielders with leather lungs to last the 90 minutes.

Spells of lovely football too. Funny how capable they are of it when allowed/encouraged to do it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    In the end it took a back to basics, good old fashioned headed goal from our centre half.
    As a starting point for the Kenny era, not too bad. Connolly is a keeper.
    I wouldn't mark anybody's card too harshly just yet. Players fitness levels are varied and for what amounts to a new team, preparations for this game were far from ideal.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Brady did play well when he came on = Good

Long hungry like his old self = Good.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    . Connolly is a keeper.
    I'm confused - before the game you said Randolph was the only choice for keeper?

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    888 Posts
    Hard to know where to start with that, a certain amount to like about the performance but a lot to be frustrated about too. I feel I need to keep reminding myself that this is a longer term project and we can't change our style of play that much over the course of one weekend training camp and expect it all to click. But there are huge issues ahead of Slovakia - that Bulgaria team were absolutely awful and we almost lost to them.

On the plus side it was a welcome change to see us dominating possession and knocking the ball around reasonably comfortably. However, there seemed to be a real lack of urgency to the whole effort, especially during the period of the game between half time and the Bulgaria goal. We never really stretched out the Bulgarian defence at all with our passing - if we can't do it against them we will find it even more difficult against any decent team.

Midfield was really poor, I was disappointed that Molumby didn't start and even more disappointed that he wasn't introduced. We need a player who can pick a pass but also drive us forward in possession and build momentum and at the moment he is our best bet to that. Hendrick as usual didn't do a lot wrong but didn't do a lot at all either, for me he is a squad player at best and we need to take him out of the starting team now. I don't think we can play both him and Hourihane and expect our midfield to go well, we can only have one of them and Hourihane offers a threat from set piece delivery so he's the one to stay in for me. In fairness Brady was lively when he came on and is worthy of consideration also.

I saw enough of O'Dowda to make my mind up that I don't want to see any more of him - he's not good enough. Egan seemed off the pace at the back, both for the goal and another chance a few minutes later he let his man go - needs to do a lot better than that. Doherty didn't really do enough to justify the push for him to start, I'd still be happy enough to see Coleman at right back going forward. Connolly was good though, I like him every time I see him play, especially out on the left.

And, while it was great not to lose, it was a bit disappointing that the goal came from a header straight from a corner - basically in the end we played 85 minutes of passing football and created nothing and then played five minutes of direct stuff at the end and scored.

So at the end of all that we got a goal from a header from a centre back from a set piece and the national scoreline - 1-1. Hopefully we will see a bit of progress and a good few changes to the team for Finland.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 03/09/2020 at 9:05 PM.

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    We rely on our centre back , he's our most dangerous attacking player. That's a sad indictment of where we are. Mick MC droll tones about get a corner out of it and a goal got very frustrating but it's exactly what happened.

Very little positives to take. Most of the young lads not ready for men's football yet. Connolly not consistent enough. Kenny stuck with what he believed in when it might have been easier to pull on the more senior experienced lads earlier in the game. That's a positive for me. Little else.

I'd like to see the same starting lineup again Sunday so we can give everyone a second chance. And hopefully we're never desparate enough to see James McClean in our team again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    We rely on our centre back , he's our most dangerous attacking player. That's a sad indictment of where we are. Mick MC droll tones about get a corner out of it and a goal got very frustrating but it's exactly what happened.

Very little positives to take. Most of the young lads not ready for men's football yet. Connolly not consistent enough. Kenny stuck with what he believed in when it might have been easier to pull on the more senior experienced lads earlier in the game. That's a positive for me. Little else.

I'd like to see the same starting lineup again Sunday so we can give everyone a second chance. And hopefully we're never desparate enough to see James McClean in our team again.
    Bit harsh Paul, Rome in a day etc.

A few players certainly reverted to type after HT but its early days. SK onky had them.for a few.days.

Blog

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    I thought we were good. Much better than usual but slightly lacking ideas in the final third.

I would put that down to a few things.
    - The team definitely wasn't used to the formation or playing it together.
    - Hourihane was not willing to push up high.
    - Hendrick was and showed good feet at times but didn't find the killer pass, bar the one when Connolly went offside and that was deflected. I think he'll be good in this formation after a few games in it.
    - O'Dowda got on the ball and looked dangerous but very lateral in the first half. It was like he was given instructions to go narrow and let Doherty overlap but that ain't going to achieve much when he is running almost the opposite direction to Doherty. He missed a glorious chance in the first half too when Connolly pulled it back to him.
    - Idah did quite well but he was dealing with scraps. I put that down to a lot of the above points. He wasn't fed much decent ball by those around him. And I think Bulgaria set up tightly in the middle too and that wasn't going to help Idah either. But, as I said, he was game and retained the ball in tight situations more often than not.

I thought Egan looked very comfortable. I think Stevens grew into it. I think Doherty grew into it too. Hendrick did not look like a man who hadn't played in six months- he looked really good and much more confident. McCarthy faded but I think the set up will suit him. Connolly is such a player- I really feel he is going to be important for us for such a long time. Brady looked bright when he came in.

Plenty take aways from that. Kenny will have learned a lot. I wish we had won and we could have on another day. But Kenny has learned something about every single player on the pitch tonight.

Looking forward to the next night. I would like to see Coleman get his game, as I think he will. I would like to see Brady in for O'Dowda, Didzy for Idah, Molumby for McCarthy and Browne or Arter for Hourihane.

29. Thanks From:

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast