Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Tonight’s games 08/08

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    I assume Ollie Horgan's suspension for being sent off today won't kick in before their game in Waterford next week. Might be fun between him and Sheridan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    There is a rumour that Reynolds was not Perth's choice.

If we lose on Wednesday, playing as we have in the last 4 games, Perth will be out the door by Thursday.

We'll soon be under pressure to hold on to third in the league, some tough games to come with trips to Sligo and Derry next, and only 10 games left in all. We can't afford to miss out on Europe.
    Maybe naive but what a mess it would cause to go that route in such a way. The backroom team would have to be ruthless if they didnt go too, especially Gill and Keegan. Matthews may have an ambitious eye on a job not to walk also but if VP goes i'd expect an new appointment from outside the league. Wouldnt be cheap and on top there are player contracts in the mix. Doesnt make sense to me not to keep the finger off the trigger until circa November at least, if they want to change management. I'm backing VP to turn things around! When does he complete the Pro Licence? No need for Gill then; other changes could happen like a DoF over transfers and contracts. A lot less messy and maybe not somthing VP would be willing to work under..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Point about right for Derry, at work so didn't see all of it but Meite off the mark and Hammill starting to show what he can do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Maybe naive but what a mess it would cause to go that route in such a way. The backroom team would have to be ruthless if they didnt go too, especially Gill and Keegan. Matthews may have an ambitious eye on a job not to walk also but if VP goes i'd expect an new appointment from outside the league. Wouldnt be cheap and on top there are player contracts in the mix. Doesnt make sense to me not to keep the finger off the trigger until circa November at least, if they want to change management. I'm backing VP to turn things around! When does he complete the Pro Licence? No need for Gill then; other changes could happen like a DoF over transfers and contracts. A lot less messy and maybe not somthing VP would be willing to work under..
    Rules changed this season so we didn't need Gill for the Pro Licence anyway. If Perth goes I'd fully expect Gill to walk away too.

If Reynolds wasn't Perth's choice as is being said, I'd imagine part of the appointment by the owners was so he could take over when Perth falters. That has probably happened much quicker than anyone expected.

I wouldn't really like Reynolds taking over, but we'll have to see how Wednesday goes.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Tony O'Donoghue is just far too nice a chap at times. Doesnt like the abrasive side of interviews at all for a football journo.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...-lot-of-class/
    Do you not remember his abrasive interviews with Trap towards the end of his reign?

People didn't like that either, though I thought O'Donoghue was very good in those interviews.

Did he do the same with Martin O'Neill at one stage?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    He had a few spats with Trap and O'Neill (and Keane) but was almost apologetic there, did the job but not comfortable doing it. He is really sound and it doesnt come natural to get stuck in with the agro questions after a bad result. With Sheridan I think he wasnt sure whether he was being serious or being snide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    On what I've seen so far we're easily the worst team in the division and will be relegated double quick if we don't find a way to score goals, after that its between maybe 3 teams for the play off,Shels,Cork and Sligo,I'd expect Derry to improve when they get the new players settled and the same for Pats,Waterford can challenge for third if they keep playing the way they are and Rovers and Bohs will finish 1st and 2nd,honestly though the standard isn't great so far ,maybe it will improve when fitness gets better.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    He had a few spats with Trap and O'Neill (and Keane) but was almost apologetic there, did the job but not comfortable doing it. He is really sound and it doesnt come natural to get stuck in with the agro questions after a bad result. With Sheridan I think he wasnt sure whether he was being serious or being snide.
    I'd agree with that, you couldn't meet a nicer guy.

It's hard to know what to make of our result against Sligo. Sligo were well below par and it was definitely the best we've played. But we were well on top pretty much the whole game after the first goal. It was totally unexpected. Some of the players that have come through the youths into the first team look like they've been their for a while, Kargbo and Dinanga in particular. It's great seeing the academy produce a goal scorer too. Some signs for optimism, but let's give it another few weeks before we get carried away.
    Last edited by Pablo Escobar; 16/08/2020 at 12:36 PM.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Well that's fair, yeah, but he can if needs be (and then gets stick for it, of course)

Agree that it sounds like he wasn't sure if Sheridan was taking the **** or not. Fair enough, he's new to the league and mayn't know all the names yet. But I do find it hard to believe you wouldn't know the name of the opposing manager tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Rovers and Bohs will finish 1st and 2nd,honestly though the standard isn't great so far ,maybe it will improve when fitness gets better.
    Dundalk have to many good players to not sort things out. If rovers lose today they are 7 points behind with 10 games to go .....potentialy 4 with 9 games to go if they beat us in oriel.
    I am counting no chickens for rovers and expect dundalk to rebound

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Dundalk have to many good players to not sort things out. If rovers lose today they are 7 points behind with 10 games to go .....potentialy 4 with 9 games to go if they beat us in oriel.
    I am counting no chickens for rovers and expect dundalk to rebound
    You’re more confident of a Dundalk resurgence, that could impact the title race, than any Dundalk fan. Though I expect it’s more a case of you trying not to get too giddy yet about winning the league.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Pardon my ignorance here but whos the Keegan chap on dundalk backroom staff have I missed a trick here?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Fairly certain it's Shane Keegan.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    That Pats/Rovers game was fairly dire....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    A tiny chink of light appears..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Final ball from rovers all night was poor.
    Having said that I thought the goal had to come must have had 90% possession in second half.
    4 points clear of bohs and 8 from dundalk....next couple of games will be interesting

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Pats went with a 4-5-0 formation after the red card and invited rovers on but they didn’t have it in them to beat the 10 men. They really did look clueless as to how to break it down, Clarke didn’t have a save to make second half

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Pardon my ignorance here but whos the Keegan chap on dundalk backroom staff have I missed a trick here?
    Shane Keegan, opposition analysis.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Lacklustre game from Rovers against a committed pats defence. Having only 10 men on that pitch is less onerous than larger pitches maybe, but pats played well for their draw at home. The lack of a killer striker for Rovers is missed in games like this. Gaffney is not the answer anyway.
    Next 2 games at home in tallaght should help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Lacklustre game from Rovers against a committed pats defence. Having only 10 men on that pitch is less onerous than larger pitches maybe, but pats played well for their draw at home. The lack of a killer striker for Rovers is missed in games like this. Gaffney is not the answer anyway.
    Next 2 games at home in tallaght should help.
    Happy with that result after been down to 10 men for most of the second half. The lads dug in superbly and O'Donnell switch to five man midfield worked out well. They had more chances in the 1st half we had 11 on the pitch.

Greene after his chance in the opening few minutes was completely anonymous and neither Gaffney or Williams did much when they came on. Have to say that Byrne and Ferrugia are quality players.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast