Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Future of this Forum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts

The Future of this Forum

The amount of time I have to spend dealing with issues on this forum is an absolute disgrace. It makes the "Junior" label wholly appropriate, the whole forum feels like an internet-age creche: petty rivalries, bullying, multiple identities, threats, and even a little bit of spin that's so transparent it's embarassing to an occasionaly lobbyist like myself. It's becoming an embarassment, and it's pretty much guaranteed that at least one solicitor's letter is already winging it's way to me.

So, enough is enough. I need two strict moderators for this forum by the end of next week or that's it, the forum will be closed indefinitely. Ideally I'm looking for one user that's been a member of Foot.ie for quite some time, and contributes to other sections of the site; and a second user that been here at least since the Junior League forum was created. Read the conditions below before you reply or you'll look like an idiot.

Secondary nominations only. Self-nominations will exclude users from consideration. Self-nominations from duplicate accounts - I will check - will result in permanent bans on both accounts. The same applies to dupe accounts used to post messages of support. If you don't understand the conditions don't post for the reason mentioned above -- I may ban you on the general principle that you're too stupid to contribute anything of value anyway.

Nominations close next Friday, this forum will be moderated in the meantime.

adam
    Last edited by dahamsta; 03/06/2005 at 7:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    I've had just two nominations, by two mates nominating each other. I'm not impressed by the response. I'm not kidding about closing the forum, so you lot would want to pull your fingers out of your arses pretty sharpish or you're going to have to find another place to post.

In other news, the artist formerly known as astalavista and stinger has been banned for posting with multiple accounts. Another user tried to out a user maliciously today by revealing where they work, if that happens again they'll be banned too.

Grow up guys, my nine year old is more mature than you.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Dahamsta - apologies if I appear as an ass-licker but Footie is my forum for finding out what's happening in the game. It's the best.

If you have to seek legal advice when/if a solicitor's letter arrives that's obviously gonna cost you. That's unfair to you.

I'm guaranteeing you E30 - sorry it can't be more - towards that fee as you should not have to pay these costs.

How about others backing the man?

I'd rather have sent a PM to Adam about this but I feel we owe it to him to back him for all that he's done and that's why I'm putting it here.

Again, sorry for appearing such a lickspittle

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Hi Adam, I spent a lot of time on a post today on the Westport V Waterford Crystal FAI Final. I was trying to bring some degree of calm to the recent furore surrounding the Carew/Westport saga. I did criticise the FAI.....is that why it didn't appear?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    I nominate "The 12th Man" for the moderator. I dont read too many of the Junior League threads but AGAIK, he contributes to the Junior League forum aswell as the rest of Foot.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    sirhamish, to be clear, when I say "the future of this forum", I mean the Junior League section in particular. Foot.ie itself is here to stay. And when I mentioned solicitor's letters I'm referring to veiled threats I've received by email and private message, which happens quite regularly on Foot.ie.

However if the style of posting that happens in this forum continues, I do believe it could go to the next level, because some of the comments have been made could easily be considered libellous, particularly by the type of person that tries to use the Irish courts system like a personal ATM.

So while your PayPal donation to the "Foot.ie Legal Fund" is very much appreciated, it's really not required at this time, and I'll be happy to refund the money to you if you wish. Your previous donation was extremely generous and has covered my costs of providing Foot.ie to you for a long time to come.

Bonovox, I didn't allow your post to go through because every active thread in the Junior League section has been hijacked by this insidious Carew issue and I'm sick to the back teeth of it. The only reason the other posts mentioning Carew are in there is because they were posted before I started moderating the forum.

DE TOWN, thanks for the nomination.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta
    sirhamish, to be clear, when I say "the future of this forum", I mean the Junior League section in particular. Foot.ie itself is here to stay. And when I mentioned solicitor's letters I'm referring to veiled threats I've received by email and private message, which happens quite regularly on Foot.ie.

However if the style of posting that happens in this forum continues, I do believe it could go to the next level, because some of the comments have been made could easily be considered libellous, particularly by the type of person that tries to use the Irish courts system like a personal ATM.

So while your PayPal donation to the "Foot.ie Legal Fund" is very much appreciated, it's really not required at this time, and I'll be happy to refund the money to you if you wish. Your previous donation was extremely generous and has covered my costs of providing Foot.ie to you for a long time to come.

Bonovox, I didn't allow your post to go through because every active thread in the Junior League section has been hijacked by this insidious Carew issue and I'm sick to the back teeth of it. The only reason the other posts mentioning Carew are in there is because they were posted before I started moderating the forum.

DE TOWN, thanks for the nomination.

adam
    I meant that Forum Adam not Footie but wouldn't legal threats, if carried out, effect the whole set-up??

Re my PM - you're more than welcome to it - wish it could have been more.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    You say "this insidious Carew issue and I'm sick to the back teeth of it." You appear to say its a Carew Park issue only. I thought my post was very two way and real and looked at the issue from an entirely different angle. I suggest you moderate your own posts before you print something like that. I am NOT a Carew Park supporter but I feel you need to clarify what you mean by the above quote.
    I await your reply.

Yours in Sport,

Bonovox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I nominate sligoman, because he has been here a while and I think he will be strict but fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Thanks very much sirhamish, that will cover the foot.ie domain name, which I've just renweed.

Bonovox, the thread was about a specific match between two specific teams, neither of them the one you were posting about. Your post was off topic, period, and that's how off topic posts will be dealt with on the Junior League forum from now on.

adam

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    whoever has post the most messages on here(not including stupid ones)might be a good indication to who should be mod?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up Thunderblaster

I would like to nominate Thunderblaster as moderator .

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nomination

I would like to second Mark no 9's nomination of Thunderblaster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would like to nominate sirhamish for the post of moderator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster
    I would like to nominate sirhamish for the post of moderator.
    Thanks Thunderblaster but I can barely moderate myself these days let alone the forum and would be a disaster at the job. Too thick.

Still appreciate your nomination.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_no9
    I would like to nominate Thunderblaster as moderator .
    Thanks Mark_no9 for the proposal and OscarBravo for seconding me. I do not think that I am the man to lead the forum to the promised land. I wouldn't moderate a booze up in a brewery, never mind foot.ie. Having said that, I enjoy the junior forum and it would be a shame that one or two eejits would be the cause of it shutting down.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DE TOWN
    I nominate "The 12th Man" for the moderator. I dont read too many of the Junior League threads but AGAIK, he contributes to the Junior League forum aswell as the rest of Foot.ie
    thanks for the nomination D.T.,
    while i'm no wizard on junior football i would if i'm selected give it my best shot.

i've no problem if i'm not selected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I second the nomination for Sirhamish, he always seems to make sense!
    Eoin Mullen, Bohemians legend!

"You should always take good care of your cat" - Postman Pat, 1991

2005 - a great year for Irish football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Can we call an opinion poll on this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    I'm afraid not, this decision will be made by myself and the moderators.

adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast