Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Cabinteely

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Cabinteely

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...12179?mode=amp
    Any Cabo folk here that could offer an opinion?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Bunch of really nice football people run Cabo.
    The entry to the loi was driven by a wish to hold onto their best players who often moved to st joesephs as they got to 13 14 etc. They have over 1000 players at all ages but struggle to get more than 100 to go to matches played by the devision club. Doesn't help that the matches are played in blackrock but it's basically a lack of interest in senior football by the parents of the younger players. The costs of running the loi senior team is draining the junior club so off loading it but still keeping a pathway for the best kids probably suits all parties.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    €200k debt for a club like Cabinteely is huge and of course unsustainable. I dont think there is any other option but to seriously consider any offer on the table or its curtains. The underage setup at risk of suffering too. But it seems like a very convoluted deal - Cabo pay ISFC 50% of any fee recieved but if its a youth player from another country its 100%? Apart from regulations on youth players moving country it sounds like some way to gain access to the EU based leagues?? Strange one.

I presume the option is for Cabo to buy shares for 20k? 40k per year to clear debt isnt a whole lot of an outlay but if they are covering ongoing costs for 5 years then I can see why they are considering the unusual proposals. I may have read the article wrongly but returning the senior club back in 5 years “with the same balance sheet worth” is hardly 200k in the red? In otherwords its more a loan than investment.

Isnt there a bit of a contradiction though if they are taking over the senior part of the club but then also the underage national league teams? More questions than answers from that piece in the I.T.

*maybe its the senior club paying the schoolboys section 50% of any fee recieved, its not very clearly written that piece unless Im just stuck on stupid!

Lukens was manager and president of Ukrainian club Sudnobudivnyk Mykolaiv (club folded in 2018). Cant see anything about Jimenez.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 27/07/2020 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I suspect the deal in the paper is shy on details as it looks a bit illogical. 're the underage loi teams I imagine it will be like bohs and Kevin's. Bohs only have an underage team structure in theory. Kevin's run it but play under the bohs/Kevin's label so they have access to loi for their best players

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I always felt that it made more sense for schoolboy clubs to link up with existing senior clubs than to form a senior club just to gain access to elite leagues and keep hold of players. Especially in around Dublin and even to Dundalk. While Cavan/Monaghan may aspire to get back to senior football out of Gortakeegan i'd have liked to see Dundalk seek a link-up there. Less risk involved imo as long as the senior club played fair with any potential transfer fees. For years the best young local players were going to Shels mainly to play in the higher stantard of Dublin Schoolboys leagues so its certainly possible to go the other way too. Then there isnt a 200k hole that could scupper an organisation that has the 1000 kids on their books. Pity parents didnt buy in to the project more but that takes time for their own kids to progress and make a breakthrough in due course. That said this proposal sounds like there was some connection as its a bit obscure and out of the blue. This thing about players from another country just seems bizzare albeit with limited info. I suppose they arent worried about European transfer bans for moving youth players in from abroad if thats the plan...Barce, Madrid and Cabo