Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: UK clubs 2020/21 preseason

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    My theory is that he's angling for England. I don't know when he moved over there but I'd guess he'll be eligible for them soon and we'll see. Playing for Nigeria would be a lot of travel and hassle for these lads. If you play a competitive game underage prior to getting a British passport then he'd be ineligible like Johansson. Maybe he's keeping his options open by not playing for us.
    He apparently qualifies now (or within the next 4 months). He moved to United and England in 2015 according to this:

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/west...j15xd7s4tbhfb4
    Last edited by youngirish; 26/08/2020 at 11:01 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I think its disgusting, I really do! born and raised in Ireland and he wants to play for England

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I think its disgusting, I really do! born and raised in Ireland and he wants to play for England
    Who knows what life he had here? There's plenty of racists where I'm from in North Inner City Dublin that would subject him to abuse growing up. Isn't he from Tallaght? He could easily have been subjected to the same Neanderthal s**e which could turn anyone off from representing a country.

I don't know his reasons but I could never imagine representing anyone other than Ireland. However I'm pasty white and an alcoholic so I always felt Irish wherever I went.
    Last edited by youngirish; 26/08/2020 at 11:08 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Who knows what life he had here? There's plenty of racists where I'm from in North Inner City Dublin that would subject him to abuse growing up. Isn't he from Tallaght? He could easily have been subjected to the same Neanderthal s**e which could turn anyone off from representing a country.

I don't know his reasons but I could never imagine representing anyone other than Ireland. However I'm pasty white and an alcoholic so I always felt Irish wherever I went.
    Then represent Nigeria? . I would be of the opinion that he met more decent people in Ireland then not ... including all the coaches that helped him become a professional football player!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    A lot of reaching and speculation going on.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    My theory is that he's angling for England. I don't know when he moved over there but I'd guess he'll be eligible for them soon and we'll see. Playing for Nigeria would be a lot of travel and hassle for these lads. If you play a competitive game underage prior to getting a British passport then he'd be ineligible like Johansson. Maybe he's keeping his options open by not playing for us.

Given the lack of striking options we have at U21 after Idah and Parrott moved up there's no reason he wouldn't be picked for that level on merit.

The first generation Irish born immigrants will be a new type of flight risk. They'll qualify for England via residency, might have no real love for Ireland and like the opportunities an England cap brings. Okoflex was the same.
    Not to mention the potential financial opportunities that becoming or even potentially becoming an England International for the Player and the Club he is with = Potentially Big Money = sometimes follow the money ! !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    A lot of reaching and speculation going on.
    Yep that's true, none of this would stand up in court, that's for sure, but its very suspicious you have to admit

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    It's all 100% speculation so no need to be harsh on the lad. There has to be a reason he isn't involved but we should give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

International identity is complicated and none of us can understand what it's like for a young black lad growing up in Dublin.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    It's all 100% speculation so no need to be harsh on the lad. There has to be a reason he isn't involved but we should give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

International identity is complicated and none of us can understand what it's like for a young black lad growing up in Dublin.
    Haha brilliant. how do you know? Half the people on the board could be black lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Haha brilliant. how do you know? Half the people on the board could be black lol
    Peanuts are pale and bland. Colourful Peanut would have stood out. I'm sure he faced a myriad of challenges growing up with all the regular peanuts.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    And you can be nuts without being a peanut (which is a legume, tehnically) so, eh, whatever this thread is about I'm .. all for it? Right answer, no?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Troy Parrott scored for Millwall in 5-1 win vs Bromley. Cant find video to link, but seen interview with manager who said it was great finish
    I wasn't even bothering to check Arsenal as we've really heard little about himself and Jordan McAneff, who is also in their underage set-up. Does this mean he's closer to the first team than I would have thought?

In a similar vein, Jamie Bowden came on as a sub in Spurs' game against Ipswich: https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new...season-opener/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Even if they are, how many grew up in Dublin though?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Jack Taylor playing today for Peterborough V Coventry who Jordan Shipley is lining out for. Think Taylor has played most of their warm up matches.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Molumby, Duffy and Connolly on in the second half in Brighton's friendly against Chelsea. You can watch here:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/live

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I watched the second half of Brighton V Chelsea.

Duffy looked solid but his distribution from the back is as bad as ever. Connolly didn't really do anything other than the one time he got the ball near the box he was fouled by a very clumsy and unnecessary challenge giving Brighton their second penalty.

I was very impressed with Molumby. His range of passing was excellent and he made a number of timely interceptions and clearances. Him and Bissouma looked very good in Brighton's midfield. Hopefully he can establish himself this season for Brighton as I think he's already too good for the Championship.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Bournemouth played Benfica yesterday in a pre-season friendly in a 2-1 defeat. Kilkenny and Travers came on in the second half. Apparently Kilkenny in particular was very impressive according to the comments on here:

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootb....12321/page-16

Hopefully he can kick on and become a regular starter this season.
    Last edited by youngirish; 31/08/2020 at 12:42 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Bournemouth played Benfica yesterday in a pre-season friendly in a 2-1 defeat. Kilkenny and Travers came on in the second half. Apparently Kilkenny in particular was very impressive according to the comments on here:

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootb....12321/page-16

Hopefully he can kick on and become a regular starter this season.
    They're not averse to a scrap on that forum, are they?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Missed this one: first senior goal for Ryan Cassidy, as he nets the only goal of the game against Salford from the spot: https://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/...d-0-stanley-1/

Also Joshua Kayode scored for Carlisle against his former team, Gateshead: https://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/new...ight-friendly/

And to round out what I'm now calling our second tier of youth strikers, Anthony Scully scored for Lincoln against Oldham: https://www.weareimps.com/news/2020/...-oldhamreport/

Nathan Collins played the full 90 for Stoke against Leeds and opened the scoring: https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/202...Leeds-victory/

And the other Collins, James, netted another pre-season goal against Northampton: https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/202...ampton-report/

Jimmy Dunne played the full game for Burnley against Preston: https://www.pnefc.net/news/2020/sept...-match-report/

Corrie Ndaba has featured regularly for Ipswich in pre-season and played against Cambridge - hopefully a sign that he will make a breakthrough this season: https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2020/aug...idge-1-town-0/
    Last edited by samhaydenjr; 02/09/2020 at 1:18 AM.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    thanks for the round up. Cassidy scored in another pre season friendly already?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast