Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: G8 Summit

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

G8 Summit

Bob Geldof has asked that a million people descend on Edinburgh, any thoughts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    He needs a haircut......and a wash!!!

Does he want people to think he's a bum?? Going round asking for money with hair like that, he's exactly like every other bum I know.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank

Does he want people to think he's a bum?? Going round asking for money with hair like that, he's exactly like every other bum I know.
    Any serious thoughts ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't wear yourself out with all that advanced comedy...

I think it's a bad idea. Edinburgh simply can't handle this many people, and it could end up dirty (literally!).

That number is not needed anyhow, sure Geldof is in personal contact with the Prime Minister as it is. Also, the UK Govt at least has shown serious consideration for Africa with the Africa Commission report. AFAIK, Gordon Brown sees it as almost a personal mission, partly due to his upbringing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    dont think anything will change you will have your usual courtesy riots read an interestng piece in the times i think about the the hard line anarcists who got inflitrated by a journalist and how they were going to start using human shields and bascialy start using terrorism
    save the sheep shaggers bring back beheadings for waherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm in pessimistic form at the moment. Remember the massive anti-war rallies?
    Didn't move Blair and co much. Still, I'd support a rally with maybe 50,000 people but will it work? Suppose we got to keep trying and in the long term it might work.
    Pity there are those who organise violence in these situations - plays right into the hands of the right wing and everybody else gets tarnished.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The thing here is that, from where I see it, the PM and other European leaders are already committed to record levels of funding and other types of support for sustainable development. Geldof and his lot are merely going to place another plaster on the problem, not a solution. I respect him, but politics at this level is harder than being a hero.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    But isn't he calling for all debts to be removed with a body to administer aid to ensure that there is no syphoning off of funds. That might be more than a plaster case hopefully. Yeah, I know the entire world trade is more complicated than that but dropping the entire debt MIGHT be a beginning???
    It's crazy giving third world countries loans/aid and have them giving it - and more - back in repayments. The circle just goes on and on.

Also, didn't he mention how Uganda has improved hugely in the past few years and cited that as an example of how Africa can advance.

I think the Fair Trade system could be developed hugely but can't see First World wanting to change the status quo a great deal.

Y'know isn't is just unbelievabel that farmers are paid NOt to grow food and fishermen were paid to throw fish back into the sea once. What a perverted system.

I've read this through and through and just can't get a handle on the whole situation it's so complicated. The New Internationalist covers this every month in detail but tends to be a shade too much to the left on the issue but has some good points all the same.
    Last edited by hamish; 01/06/2005 at 9:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjppc
    Any serious thoughts ?
    Ok, why doesn't he tell everyone how much he's given to charity out of his OWN pocket??
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jofyisgod

I think it's a bad idea. Edinburgh simply can't handle this many people, and it could end up dirty (literally!).
    How big is Hogmany there each year?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ok, why doesn't he tell everyone how much he's given to charity out of his OWN pocket??
    I dont think that bears any relavence, whats your % . Bob probably has an ego as big as the Atlantic , but here we have an irishman on the world stage doing his atmost to relieve poverty in Africa , have we become so cynical that we can not support him for this reason or that. Its a complex issue no simple solutions to complex problems, but the guy is trying, his passion comes across, think for a minute what have we done as a individuals to help , answer sweet F.A We are more worried how Ireland will beat Isreal . Lets get behind the imperfect man and try to make a less imperfect world . I would like to see a few more black (African)faces on his comittee/ what ever it is , but they are not there , there are many criticisms one could have , but the focus, the goal, the aim, is for one thing to make life better for the most downtrodden people in this world, "Fields of Athenry " dosn't even register to the ammount these people have suffered HIV, famine , corrupt governments, war , displacement, etc etc etc etc etc , this is a present day holocaust known about , in the news , every day stuff , no excuses its there. We call ourselves a Christian country , we're not, the Celtic Tiger has no compassion, its preditory, it lives in the Jungle winner takes all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I dont think that bears any relavence, whats your % . Bob probably has an ego as big as the Atlantic , but here we have an irishman on the world stage doing his atmost to relieve poverty in Africa , have we become so cynical that we can not support him for this reason or that. Its a complex issue no simple solutions to complex problems, but the guy is trying, his passion comes across, think for a minute what have we done as a individuals to help , answer sweet F.A We are more worried how Ireland will beat Isreal . Lets get behind the imperfect man and try to make a less imperfect world . I would like to see a few more black (African)faces on his comittee/ what ever it is , but they are not there , there are many criticisms one could have , but the focus, the goal, the aim, is for one thing to make life better for the most downtrodden people in this world, "Fields of Athenry " dosn't even register to the ammount these people have suffered HIV, famine , corrupt governments, war , displacement, etc etc etc etc etc , this is a present day holocaust known about , in the news , every day stuff , no excuses its there. We call ourselves a Christian country , we're not, the Celtic Tiger has no compassion, its preditory, it lives in the Jungle winner takes all
    Y'now one often hears celebrities/stars/musicians etc etc criticised for their opulent lifestyle - excess/drugs/sex/pi$$ed away money and so on - yet when they get involved in promoting a cause they are ego tripping/promoting their careers etc. It's a no win situation.

I certainly prefer "stars" to get involved. Personally, I don't need jigging up from anyone but if Geldof and co generate involvment from people who would otherwise be unaware, can't see anything but good in that.

Couldn't give two fcuks about Bob's ego - so what if he's a big head!!! If he even partially succeeds, it can swell and explode for all I care. Good luck to him. (Yeh, contradiction in that last par. somewhat )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    A few things to say to that.

Firstly, Bono's Irish and he does similar things but I don't have a problem with him. It's Bob that's the problem, here's someone who is anti-Europe but wants everyone to "come together" to help other's. If he wasn't so two-faced I'd respect him.

Secondly, I asked that question because he must have millions of euros saved up but I've never heard a single story of him donating any of it to any charity. What's the deal? Why doesn't he go "Look, I'm giving X amount of money to this cause, why don't you give some too?"

P.S. I got the "anti-Europe" bit from an ad I saw him in. I was in Aberdeen about two years ago and there was an ad against the EU constitution. Anyway, his face popped up and he was telling British people to "save our currency" and why they should be against the EU constitution. Ridiculous.
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If anyone's interested, there's a 'Make Poverty History' demo on Thursday, 30th June at 6.30 - meeting at Parnell Square and marching to Merrion Square.

The original plan was to meet at the Spire, but expected numbers have risen from 1,000 to 5,000 and the Gardai were worried there wouldn't be space to marshal anyone.

Apparently Bono is going to encourage people to join the Dublin march at the thee concerts at Croke Park.

It's not about charity, it's about giving people a chance to pull themselves up.

Check:

http://www.debtireland.org/