Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Restart 31st July

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts

Restart 31st July

I guess we're not so much talking about ramifications anymore as opposed to a start date again. Time for a little bit more positivity I think.

Interview with Ollie Horgan on local radio this morning suggesting we'll be back where we left off, so Harps travel to Shamrock Rovers on 31st July.

Streaming is still on the table with small numbers of fans allowed after the first few games, so I for one, can't wait for it to get going again in four weeks time.

One thing that'll be interesting, whether or not we get the 5 subs that all other leagues seem to have brought in.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Time for a little bit more positivity I think.

Interview with Ollie Horgan...
    2020 is a wierd one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    2020 is a wierd one.
    Weird is one way to describe it.
    Confusing would be another.
    Still don't know whether we're back or not after recent events?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    One thing that'll be interesting, whether or not we get the 5 subs that all other leagues seem to have brought in.
    It would be a positive move. The part time players coming back could struggle with 90 mins so it would be best to allow the extra subs. It will also be beneficial to get young players experience and game time. It could benefit the clubs with stronger squads more but their starting XI should be fitter than the part time lads anyway.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Under current circumstances I can see the rationale behind 5 subs. But if a permanent change then it takes away from the tactical side of the game being able to sub almost half a side. Part of the intrigue is the way valuable 3 subs are used, the annoyance when a sub is forced due to injury limiting options further. 5 subs devalues that aspect of tactics needed in naming a squad etc. But then I suppose VAR was called as ruining some of the suspense of the game. Next it will be roll on roll off subs though that might cut timewasting while giving the officials some headaches..

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Under current circumstances I can see the rationale behind 5 subs. But if a permanent change then it takes away from the tactical side of the game being able to sub almost half a side. Part of the intrigue is the way valuable 3 subs are used, the annoyance when a sub is forced due to injury limiting options further. 5 subs devalues that aspect of tactics needed in naming a squad etc. But then I suppose VAR was called as ruining some of the suspense of the game. Next it will be roll on roll off subs though that might cut timewasting while giving the officials some headaches..
    I agree with the general run of your point here but think you're giving managers too much credit re subs.

It's rare to see one happening in the first 65mins of a game if it isn't forced. And the number you see after 85mins are on the clock is pretty big really. In those situations their only tactical use is either desperation or as a time-wasting move. I reckon there's often much more of a roll-of-the-dice aspect to subs than tactical genius.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Fixtures out Monday I hear, and also same day FAI Cup Draw.

Hearing games will be mostly in line with what was already in sequence before C-19, but one exception might be the Dundalk v Rovers game to be moved out to Sept or Oct to accommodate more fans.

Now that's one I'm looking forward to, should be a cracker and live on tv.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Play it in the order it was in already. No exceptions.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I agree with the general run of your point here but think you're giving managers too much credit re subs.

It's rare to see one happening in the first 65mins of a game if it isn't forced. And the number you see after 85mins are on the clock is pretty big really. In those situations their only tactical use is either desperation or as a time-wasting move. I reckon there's often much more of a roll-of-the-dice aspect to subs than tactical genius.
    It is rare and I've wondered why eg a managers stubbornness to switch things up early if things arent working - an admission that tactics or payer selection were wrong; Hoping a player will play in to the game maybe. Having fresh players to come on at the latter end of a game is less of an issue generally in the game with better strength and conditioning. Some pundits have said when it has happened that it damages a players confidence but a player shouldnt be that brittle. Keeping a sub or 2 in hand in case of an injury of course. Using subs to run down the clock is one of those areas that ye can see refs being told to crack down on by properly adding additional time (stopping the clock for injuries/subs etc rather than adding time has been mooted in the past along with the 4th official being the time keeper). It would still be tactical if subs were kept in hand to break momentum on teams that finish strongly or score a lot of late goals!? I dont think it is necessary really as while seasons has been interrupted teams have had what 4-6 weeks back training? Though on this i'm thinking more of the bigger leagues and not where there are P/T players and delays in agreeing a return due to finances etc. If managers dont think more about tactical subs they should! Its not a particularly big deal either way I just dont really see the need for 5 subs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Hearing games will be mostly in line with what was already in sequence before C-19, but one exception might be the Dundalk v Rovers game to be moved out to Sept or Oct to accommodate more fans.
    If the FAI/Rovers/Dundalk think more fans will be safely able to attend games by September/October while we are freely letting in Americans and re-opening pubs in July/August then that's complete delusion
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Looking forward to the re-start, but still think its absolutely ridiculous we couldn't have completed a 27 game league, and to play 22 more.

We could easily have run the season to end of Nov or into early Dec, we have been closed for almost 5 months, now games on for 3 months and another close down for over 3 months, 13 games is just far too short.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Looking forward to the re-start, but still think its absolutely ridiculous we couldn't have completed a 27 game league, and to play 22 more.

We could easily have run the season to end of Nov or into early Dec, we have been closed for almost 5 months, now games on for 3 months and another close down for over 3 months, 13 games is just far too short.
    I agree, but reckon players contracts had a big part to play. I’d say some clubs were reluctant to extend contracts particularly when the PFAI maintains that clubs are liable for salary during the lockdown.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I get that, of course, but if a lot of clubs weren't paying players during the shut down with no club income, at least the extended season would have provided clubs with that income.

Decision made now, so it is what is it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    We might not get to play the rest of the 13/14 games due to a second wave, not sure where we were going to get a 27 game season played.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

19. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Absolutely.

No point extending the season, extending contracts, adding extra costs - and running the risk that we don't finish the season as a result.

There's a second wave in Israel, Serbia and Romania right now, worse than the first wave in each case. It's a very legitimate concern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    In hindsight, these are fair points guys. Important to get the season back up then see where we are next season.

Unprecedented times, and a very challening year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Absolutely.

No point extending the season, extending contracts, adding extra costs - and running the risk that we don't finish the season as a result.

There's a second wave in Israel, Serbia and Romania right now, worse than the first wave in each case. It's a very legitimate concern.
    Immunity is now almost a cert to be temporary so everything we do now should be with a view to future disruption likely, certainly over the next 18months. So far though, we are at the 14 day point from initial lifiting of some restrictions and by and large things are stable. The real test being when pubs/clubs reopen and what that does.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Immunity is now almost a cert to be temporary.
    Hadn't heard that. That's very worrying.

Luxembourg is another country after starting a second wave. Hasn't reached first wave levels yet, but it's on the way.

Partly contact testing is inflating numbers compared to the first wave I would say. But with pubs opening next week, I think a second wave here is quite likely before the season's end...

How's the vaccine trials coming along?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Hadn't heard that. That's very worrying.

Luxembourg is another country after starting a second wave. Hasn't reached first wave levels yet, but it's on the way.

Partly contact testing is inflating numbers compared to the first wave I would say. But with pubs opening next week, I think a second wave here is quite likely before the season's end...

How's the vaccine trials coming along?
    A couple are in stage 3 trials already, Pfizer's looks promising though these can fail at the final hurdles

If there is no vaccine identified by new year's eve then don't be surprised if we have another taxpayer funded closed-doors 18 game season for 2021
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    No announcement as of yet as Govt still in meeting with NPHET but omens dont look good if pubs reopening is going to be deferred.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast