9 47.37%
  • Kevin Doyle A v Slovakia, 2007

7 36.84%
  • Liam Miller H v Sweden, 2006

0 0%
  • Niall Quinn A v Wales, 1991

0 0%
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Foot.ie decides - Ireland's best goal!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Robbie Keane/Kennedy

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Interesting. We've definitely had better, just depends what they were paired against I suppose. Actually, Robbie Brady got a beaut against the USA, I assume that made the original cut but can't remember seeing it.
    No, didn't make the cut (you can see it here) partly because I thought the Pilkington goal at the start was a better goal (lovely pass from McGoldrick to split the defence), and partly because I was trying to cut down on the number of free-kicks (they're a bit repetitive). Also, I think Harte's was better anyway!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think Harte's should've been saved tbh (by our arch nemesis).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I think Harte's should've been saved tbh (by our arch nemesis).
    Afair, Dudu had some problem with his left shoulder, that's one possible reason why he tried to flick the ball over with his right and the only decent excuse he could have had for doing it that way.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Keane/McAteer

(McAteer v Kennedy toughest choice to date by far. McAteer nicks it due to the build up, clean strike, its importance and it being away to a big team)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    So that's 8-2 for Robbie Keane H v Israel, 2005 over Liam Brady H v Brazil, 1987

And it's 7-3 for Jason McAteer A v Holland, 2000 over Mark Kennedy H v Yugoslavia, 1999

That's it for the last 32. I'll pick up with the last 16 on Monday morning. I think people adding a reason is already making it more interesting (such as geysir's view of the Harte goal) - I'll make it a strong recommendation for the last 16, and in the event of a tie, votes with no reason are discounted.

In chronological order, what we have left is -

Ronnie Whelan N v USSR, 1988 (one of four finals goals in the last 16)
    Alan McLoughlin A v Northern Ireland, 1993
    Ray Houghton N v Italy, 1994
    Jason McAteer A v Holland, 2000
    Matt Holland A v Portugal, 2000
    Jason McAteer H v Holland, 2001 (one of four goals to whitewash its opponent)
    Matt Holland N v Cameroon, 2002 (McAteer and Holland the only players with two goals left)
    Andy Reid H v Cyprus, 2004 (not 2005, as I had earlier)
    Ian Harte H v Israel, 2005 (the only set-piece left)
    Robbie Keane H v Israel, 2005 (the only match with two goals in the last 16)
    Kevin Doyle A v Slovakia, 2007
    Glenn Whelan H v Italy, 2009 (along with Harte, one of only two group runners-up to make it through)
    Darron Gibson H v Wales, 2011 (the only goal not in a competitive game)
    Aiden McGeady A v Georgia, 2014
    Shane Long H v Germany, 2015
    Wes Hoolahan N v Sweden, 2016

In terms of managers, we have -
    Mick 4
    Jack 3
    Kerr 3
    O'Neill 3
    Trap 2
    Stan 1

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Excellent job so far.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Can't believe McAteer has beaten Kennedy. i'm assuming it's because of the context of the goal.
    But there were very few players pulled on a green jersey could've scored a goal like Kennedy's.

Small side note, he was in the original WC 2002 squad but had to pull out through injury (despite scoring in the Niall Quinn testimonial match V Sunderland) and Steven Reid stepped in at the last minute.

I wonder if Kennedy had been in that World Cup Squad would he sound a little less bitter about the Irish soccer team
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Can't believe McAteer has beaten Kennedy. i'm assuming it's because of the context of the goal.
    But there were very few players pulled on a green jersey could've scored a goal like Kennedy's.

Small side note, he was in the original WC 2002 squad but had to pull out through injury (despite scoring in the Niall Quinn testimonial match V Sunderland) and Steven Reid stepped in at the last minute.

I wonder if Kennedy had been in that World Cup Squad would he sound a little less bitter about the Irish soccer team
    I haven't voted or been involved in any of this vote so disregard everything after this sentence of that matters to you.

Put yourself in kennedys position. With my bad foot, I could hit that and it wouldn't look too unnatural. mcateers with my bad foot, ya again fine. But he makes it look like his good foot. Better goal. No arguments.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    No bad goals in that last 16 list. Just shows how meaningless friendly games ultimately are that we didn't put a single proper friendly goal through - even Gibson's goal was in the semi competitive Nations Cup. The fact that the Nations League significantly reduces friendlies makes it one of the better ideas UEFA has come up with in recent years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I don't know. I think context-wise, they were quite similar - excellent (and slightly unexpected) qualifying results against a main rival.

That McAteer goal was very well-worked with the two backheel flicks in the build-up, and then a 25-yard finish. They were two excellent goals and really neither deserves to leave this early - but that's what happens in knock-outs. The bigger surprise for me was that Houghton's goal in the 1994 World Cup beat Kennedy's in the groups tbh.

I deliberately didn't define what made a goal good at the start, and I'm not going to do so now either. Personally, I'd like to think I'd take the goal as a whole rather than the occasion - so for example I think I would have voted for Keane in Holland over Long v Germany for the way the build-up stretched the Dutch defence all over the place, with a backheel pass and two superb angled passes to create space. Though I can't deny I love the Long goal for its absolute simplicity.

That also ties back a bit to Eirambler's point about the lack of friendly goals - just Gibson's pseudo-friendly one is left of the five (Keane v Holland, Brady v Brazil, Lawrence v South Africa, Walters v Uruguay) that made the knock-outs. Is there a bias towards competitive goals? And yet which other friendly goals would really stand up against the lat 16 as is? Duff v Canada is an obvious one for me - yet the points that Canada were crap and not too bothered and their keeper should have done better are all quite valid. Stan's free v USSR and Miller's strike v Sweden all polled well in the groups yet were pipped narrowly - and probably rightly so. And big finals goals like Houghton (Euro 88) and Keane (v Germany and Saudi Arabia 2002) didn't come close to getting through, so it's not all about the occasion.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I went Houghton 1 Kennedy 2 in the groups and McAteer over Kennedy in the knock out. Sometimes good old fashioned bias is a factor, Kennedy should have been subbed before that goal, he was really poor all that game, his goal was unworldly superb but a one off and I don't remember him doing very much in general in an Irish shirt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I remember Kennedy and Kavanagh both scoring in a friendly V Sweden too. Both good goals. Unavailable on youtube
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    2) John Aldridge N v Mexico, 1994
    A lovely patient build-up and a header fuelled by petty revenge at that official in the yellow cap
    Yes one of the best but seldom remembered for the lovely build up.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    OK, time to get the last 16 underway. Plan is the last 16 between today and Wednesday, the last 8 on Weds-Fri, and the final four next week. Reasons aren't mandatory, but I think they're recommended (given the interesting things they threw up last time)

Suddenly seems an appropriate time to be celebrating the best of Irish football too, with Jack's passing over the weekend...

First up - Glenn Whelan H v Italy, 2009 against Wes Hoolahan N v Sweden, 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

Time is 3:41; time-stamped link is here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    And the second match is two World Cup qualification-securing goals (well, the first one all but sealed qualification; we still had to beat Cyprus). It's Jason McAteer H v Holland, 2001 up against Alan McLoughlin A v Northern Ireland, 1993

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

Time is 1:30; time-stamped link is here.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Hoolahan - The build-up play from Coleman is excellent, he couldn't have hit it any better and it was at the highest level. Ireland's performance for the next 40 minutes remains one of the frustrating moments of recent times for me.
    McLoughlin - As great as McAteer's strike is, there's nowhere near as much pressure on him to score in that moment, both with the lack of defenders and in the larger context of getting the right result, than there was on McLoughlin, who gets his volley through a crowd of players in the most hostile of atmospheres.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Glenn Whelan for the first one, possibly the best Irish free kick goal - caught out the entire Italian defence with one simple pass. I wonder if it was a spur of the moment thing or something that had been picked up in video analysis in terms of how the Italians were defending free kicks?

I'll go for McLoughlin for the second one. To be honest it wasn't even the best goal in the game but the first touch to set up the shot was excellent. Interesting watching the whole YouTube clip to hear the relative disappointment in the voice of the commentator for McLoughlin's goal compared to his reaction for Jimmy Quinn's goal a few minutes earlier. He also didn't seem to think a fairly clear barge in the back by Nigel Worthington should have been given as a free kick in the build up either.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 13/07/2020 at 9:06 AM.

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast