Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Prime Time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Prime Time

Did anyone see the two Prime Time programmes on the Lea Old Persons Home?

I know that Foot.ie is primarily a young persons forum but we'll all be old some day.

The more I think about the situation the more angry I get.

What kind of sadistic, fcuked up cnuts could run a home like this, the owners and workers etc. Y'know situations like this bring out the bad side in me - I'd love to really do damage to those animals.

I know my attitude is wrong at this moment - It'll pass - but when our most vulnerable members of society are treated like this I wonder what kind of society we are turning into? I'll stop now because I feel a rant coming on and await some more mature viewpoints.

It takes a a massive amount to get me angry but this story is the pits and it's not an isolated case. Apologies to those who DO run caring homes.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Don't know whats more shocking, the fact that it happens or the fact that the Government have had a report outlining this type of thing dating back 3 years and have done nothing....

Anecdotally, publicly run care homes are even worse than the private ones, but since its the health boards/health executive job to inspect them as well as run them, nothing ever done.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nurse from the home is on The Joe Duffy Show now!
    Eoin Mullen, Bohemians legend!

"You should always take good care of your cat" - Postman Pat, 1991

2005 - a great year for Irish football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Don't know whats more shocking, the fact that it happens or the fact that the Government have had a report outlining this type of thing dating back 3 years and have done nothing....

Anecdotally, publicly run care homes are even worse than the private ones, but since its the health boards/health executive job to inspect them as well as run them, nothing ever done.
    Thank God Macy there are good ones too. There are four near me and they are very good but I'm trying to keep my temper under control about all this. I had to look after my Mum for four years up to her death two years ago and it IS difficult to care the elderly BUT I just can't get it into my head how someone could put a soiled pad back onto an old infirm person. I just can't deal with that or get my head around it. I'm not bragging about myself, by the way, as there are thousands who do the same but there are those who don't.

My sister and I were talking about all this last night and we said thank God we kept Mum at home, even though the above mentioned homes are good. I know some people just can't do that with two job households etc and I understand that but I am aware of far too many who dump their parents in homes and just forget about them but you can be fcuking sure they're there for the funeral and the will. Maybe some of us get the politicians we deserve.

When a government treats its vulnerable members of society like that I have to ask the questions: Does the Minister for Health have parents? Does she have a conscience? Why does she sit on her fat ar$e and do nothing? What are the various departmental officials doing? Have they parents? Why does this country allow people like that into power? I just don't get this at all.

Does power corrupt ministers so much that they lose their basic humanity beneath a shower of buzz words and spin?

Dr. Gerry Cowley in Mayo has a magnificent set up in that county which is a model for all this situation. Thank heaven there are TDs like him about, Mayo is lucky to have him.
    Last edited by hamish; 01/06/2005 at 5:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aido_b
    Nurse from the home is on The Joe Duffy Show now!
    Must see if RTE have it on the internet as a recording. Thanks aido b.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Angry

Hamish, I unfortunately cannot see that programme over here, well actually might be better if I didn't, I did see a programme which sounds much the same over here. A few people went undercover as care workers, none of their references were checked etc The undercover camera stuff was shocking, what other 'experienced' care workers were saying/doing about the elderly people Treatment was appalling, watching that programme upset me so much

I know however there are some excellent homes, my brother worked in 2 good ones in the summer while at uni, one was better than the other though.
    It's really sad and unacceptable that the elderly are treated like this, there is just no excuse and those responsible have absolutely no heart whatsoever......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Agreed Kt.

Y'know the crack we have on Footie. slagging, joking etc, is a kind of release for me at times and takes the mind off the serious issues for a while. Programmes like this brings one back to earth with a bang I'll tell you.

The RTE programme was the same, hidden cameras and thank God you ddn't see it.

I feel that everyone who gets a TD on the door at the next election should ask the question. What are you going to do about all this - no spin - no jargon talk - what is your policy. Any BS in the reply - no vote. If more people could do this there might be hope.

I support the Greens and we are likely to have a prospective TD in East Galway next election. I intend to make it my business to ensure that the prospective candidate make care for the vulnerable - the homeless/elderely etc - a top issue on the policy. I'm really going to work on this no matter how crocked I am. There is an outside chance a Green might squeeze in here as there is also a huge crisis here with superdumps in the area.

I knew we had problems in the nursing home area but NEVER as appalling as this. That's probably, as I posted above, because we have four top class homes near me - Loughrea, Kilconnell, Kiltormer and Aughrim. In fact, the owner of the Aughrim one lives just across the road from me. Met him in the shop today and he is livid. Even He didn't think the situation was as bad and you'd think he would know so there is obviously a cloak of secrecy involved with the state ones. Question - what are the inspectors doing and even worse, why do they let homes know WHEN they are due to visit? That last point is just unbelievable.
    Last edited by hamish; 01/06/2005 at 8:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    You are possibly confusing two issues, anger with people who dump their elderly relations in homes and leave them to rot, and anger with the Government for allowing it to happen.

Frankly, they interviewed a family who lost their mother on Prime Time and, while one wants to be sensitive, noone asked them if any single daughter (and they seemed educated, smart girls) noticed their mother's failing health or the many pressure sores on her body, until it was too late? And if they didn't see it in their own parent, how is some worker on the minimum wage supposed to have more insight and expertise?

For me, too many people are too willing to pay whatever it takes to gets the elderly out of their lives. My father has had a few strokes. It would be easy for us 7 kids to chip in together and lock him away in some home, but he'd hate it and the mother would hate it so it's not going to happen.
    Respect to Conor 74 on the last paragraph. I know exactly what you mean and am liking you already. No messing.

No confusion at all. I am aware of the differences. I'm just trying to absorb all the issues and probably not making my points well as I'm so angry at the moment. In fact, I pointed out the two systems - private and public. I'm simply angry at the abuses in both areas.

Poorly trained though workers may be, all it needs is eyesight and careful, sensitive inspection to see if an elderly person has a bedsore, for God's sake. What has minimum wage got to do with it? I had no training and was able to look out for areas where sores might be and I'm absolutely certain you and your family did likewise. Remember these "carers" are with the elderely 24/7 so what are they doing? In fact, the programme answered that. Sleeping! No system of staggered breaks and work times. Agreed, untrained there but what training does one need to answer a bell when an old person needs help?? Surely, the nurses/carers in charge are trained/motivated to organise a shift system?

I'm often tempted to use terms like minimum wage, poorly motivated workers etc and I know where you're coming from but I just cannot undestand how a human being can abuse an older person. I just don't get it. Maybe that's just me.
    I'm also aware that owners of these homes deliberately hire untrained people for minimum wage and these owners are the biggest cnuts of all. If there's a God and Hell, I hope they get the hottest and most painful place there. Sorry, short on charity at the moment.

Anyway, don't want to argue with you, man, as I think we're on the same side on this issue and maybe we're just approaching it a little differently. I don't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Exclamation

Look lads .... the short of it is ... the Government couldn't give w tupenny fúck !!

In fairness ... they are not in the Dail enough days of the year to worry about it ..... they will just patch this one up and hope for the best ... and try and ride out the media coverage till they can go back to not giving a fúck !!

Mickey Martin, when in health was looking into solving the over crowded hospital crisis by looking for beds in Rest homes etc. ..... sure there is not a chance he was ever going ot let us know about his findings when he knew himself what was going on !!

People ..... they really dont give a toss !! ..... to say otherwise you must be completely blind. It is just scandel after crisis after cover up with FF .... it is all they know ..... its their style of politics and they are good at it.

If you vote them back in (or if you dont vote) then you should shoulder some of the blame in fairness ..... everyone is living in Rip Off Ireland so it is not like you dont know !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A Face - isn't that what we're saying above. I stated that I'm going to work on this next election and I've never missed a vote in my life.

We're on the same side and I agree with you they don't care - just seen Sky News Ireland and already Bertie and co are shovelling out defensive waffle.

I think a lot of FFs will suffer next election. Will FG/Labour be any better though?

Do governments manage anything other than short termism these days. Qick fit solutions, seat belts in buses by year x, no patients on trollies by year y. all schools rat free by.........???

Be optimistic A Face I genuinely feel that people are getting away from the "family always voted for" mentality.

Hope I'm right.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Frankly, they interviewed a family who lost their mother on Prime Time and, while one wants to be sensitive, noone asked them if any single daughter (and they seemed educated, smart girls) noticed their mother's failing health or the many pressure sores on her body, until it was too late? And if they didn't see it in their own parent, how is some worker on the minimum wage supposed to have more insight and expertise?
    The Government had a report sitting on their desk for 3 years about conditions in nursing homes, and how to set up an inspectorate to check and deal with the problems. Then again, Mickey Martin seems to have a bad ignorance habit - I mean probably just another report he couldn't be arsed reading....

As for individual cases, you'd expect people to know, but frankly they were paying for them to be in a home with proper medical care. I doubt they were paying minimum wage rates for their mam to be in there.

Finally, I know someone who's in law was/is on the day shift there. Didn't have a clue what was happening and is as shocked as anyone. Seems it can be down to as simple as who was assigned to who. (and they had an elderly relative in there too, so weren't just working in their).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I couldnt belive my eyes.. it was incredibly sick. I cant belive people there can treat old people like that

SICK

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

Same old FF always arrogant.

Even if you normally vote FF its now to come to ther time that FF "need a period in opposition..." as they say.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Very sad and very annoying to see old people treated like that and that the fact it took a TV show to get Bumbling Bertie and his FF muppetts to do something about it.
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinharp
    Very sad and very annoying to see old people treated like that and that the fact it took a TV show to get Bumbling Bertie and his FF muppetts to do something about it.
    Hear hear to the three posts above. My family were always FF - have not voted FF for over 20 years and unlikely to ever do so again unless they reform themselves from the bottom up which is unlikely.