Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: What is the best goal we've scored in a major finals?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Euro 88 – R. Whelan v. USSR

9 52.94%
  • WC 90 – K. Sheedy v England

0 0%
  • WC 94 – R. Houghton v Italy

2 11.76%
  • WC 02 – M. Holland v Cameroon

0 0%
  • WC 02 – R. Keane v Saudi

0 0%
  • WC 02 – G. Breen v Saudi

0 0%
  • Euro 16 – W. Hoolohan v Sweden

4 23.53%
  • Euro 16 – R. Brady v Italy

2 11.76%
  • Other(Please Specify Below)

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POLL: What is the best goal we've scored in a major finals?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Soooo, with nostalgia heavy in mind, and bias confirmed:
    1 - Whelan
    2 - Houghton
    4 – Houlihan, Brady
    I'm intrigued - who's third?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ciarán Clark V Sweden
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Just a traditional way of counting when there's a tie for a position - if neither can be shown to be better than the other but one has to take the fourth spot, vacate the higher spot and list both in the lower one. Still gives a top four, but without a third. The alternative is joint third, moving everybody up a notch but that would be an undeserved promotion.

And if you think that's harsh you should see me grading exams!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Just a traditional way of counting when there's a tie for a position - if neither can be shown to be better than the other but one has to take the fourth spot, vacate the higher spot and list both in the lower one. Still gives a top four, but without a third. The alternative is joint third, moving everybody up a notch but that would be an undeserved promotion.

And if you think that's harsh you should see me grading exams!
    I thought the normal way to do it was to have two joint-third and then the next one is fifth.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    For me, this is probably the best goal we've scored in a qualifier.
    Honourable mentions for Glenn Whelan V Italy. And Houghton's header V Belgium.
    Had to go look at Houghton's again and it's better than I remember to be fair, serious use of his neck muscles! McGeady's trumps all those for me though. Matt Holland against Portugal a candidate too, better than his Cameroon one I think. Keane v Israel from the Reid pass too.

On that note, do we have a list of best assists? Hendrick v Georgia comes to mind (also v Germany actually). Wessi for Brady v Italy. Randolph v Germany trumps all of Packie's!
    Last edited by DeLorean; 18/06/2020 at 1:27 PM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I wonder - while there's no actual football on - if there'd be legs in a tournament to see what foot.ie's favourite Irish goal ever was?

A head-to-head thing - Houghton v NI 1989 or Duff v Canada kind of thing, with the winners advancing to the next round.

I might have a look at a few nominees over the weekend. Don't know if there'd be interest from potential voters though?

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I thought the normal way to do it was to have two joint-third and then the next one is fifth.
    And that's why you're obviously a much more generous person than me, Charlie. I can be very unforgiving where standards are involved - Mrs Grise can almost predict the grade of an exam paper by the level of snorting and groaning!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    I wonder - while there's no actual football on - if there'd be legs in a tournament to see what foot.ie's favourite Irish goal ever was?

A head-to-head thing - Houghton v NI 1989 or Duff v Canada kind of thing, with the winners advancing to the next round.

I might have a look at a few nominees over the weekend. Don't know if there'd be interest from potential voters though?
    I'd be interested. I think we have about 25 regulars on this forum and some stragglers. The killer is linking all the [yt] sources!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Make your case Nigel!
    91st minute. Route one at it's absolute best, hoof it to the big striker, perfect flick from Quinn, and from there Keanes textbook control and finish. The significance of the goal, that small bit of comfort going into the final game against the Saudis.

Not to mention getting one over one of the top Germany sides in history, in my opinion. Don't forget, apart from the final against Brazil, it was the only other goal they conceded in the entire tournament. That was as good as a win to us.

It might not have been the most technically amazing goal we've ever scored, but certainly one of the best goals I've seen from an Ireland side.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    91st minute. Route one at it's absolute best, hoof it to the big striker, perfect flick from Quinn, and from there Keanes textbook control and finish. The significance of the goal, that small bit of comfort going into the final game against the Saudis.

Not to mention getting one over one of the top Germany sides in history, in my opinion. Don't forget, apart from the final against Brazil, it was the only other goal they conceded in the entire tournament. That was as good as a win to us.

It might not have been the most technically amazing goal we've ever scored, but certainly one of the best goals I've seen from an Ireland side.
    As a kid, I felt we were deserved finalists. Lost to Spain on penalties while missing a penalty during normal time. Spain get knocked out by the Koreans on penalties, after a tonne of dodgy decisions in the quarters. We were definitely a better side than Korea. Then onto the semis vs Germany. We drew with them, so let's call it a 50/50. Then onto the final against Brazil. And all of that is without Roy!

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I'd be interested. I think we have about 25 regulars on this forum and some stragglers. The killer is linking all the [yt] sources!
    There's a thread for that though

I don't know how to put in the time tags so that a clip starts at a goal rather than at the start though? That'd be important.

I went back over 2017-2020 there yesterday and picked out a couple of candidates. That was easy though as we've been absolutely wojus in that time, and most goals were balls lumped into the box and headed home...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts

This would work well over twitter. Is there a foot.ie twitter account?
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Vote early, vote often for Ronnie on this BBC poll.

Which is the greatest European Championship goal?
    - E Tattsyrup.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Vote early, vote often for Ronnie on this BBC poll.

Which is the greatest European Championship goal?
    I checked to make sure the vote can't be rigged. It turns out you can vote multiple times if you use an incognito window. I just wanted to make you all aware of this in case somebody got confused and voted twice by accident.

Unfortunately i had to cast a dozen or so votes so i could be absolutely sure the information above is 100% accurate.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    I don't believe you, BTTW. I'll have to try several times on my laptop, phone and ipad just to verify this claim. I encourage everybody to do likewise.
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    An odd thing to say about the World Cup runners-up perhaps, but I always felt that was one of the weaker German sides I've seen, possibly the weakest. They got a dream run to the final and were completely outplayed by USA I remember in the q/finals. Think the were lucky enough to scrape through the semi as well, iirc. They were dreadful by their own standards in the Euro competitions either side of it too. Still, I'd agree that goal should have made the shortlist, certainly ahead of his effort against the Saudies anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    This would work well over twitter. Is there a foot.ie twitter account?
    Nope.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    An odd thing to say about the World Cup runners-up perhaps, but I always felt that was one of the weaker German sides I've seen, possibly the weakest. They got a dream run to the final and were completely outplayed by USA I remember in the q/finals. Think the were lucky enough to scrape through the semi as well, iirc. They were dreadful by their own standards in the Euro competitions either side of it too. Still, I'd agree that goal should have made the shortlist, certainly ahead of his effort against the Saudies anyway.
    Bar Brazil and Turkey it was a poor World Cup for the Number of Good Teams.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I don't know how to put in the time tags so that a clip starts at a goal rather than at the start though? That'd be important.
    I don't think you can embed them, but you can take the URL of any youtube video and add, e.g. &t=1m5s to start 1 minute 5 seconds into the video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    That might be it. I can embed links, and I know about that time stamp - but I thought you could embed it with the timestamp, which is awkward if you can't.

Though it's still doable I guess.

Have gone back through the 2010s and picked out a few potential nominations. I'll go back through the video on the post I mentioned before - I think it might be doable, though it'll take another few days to know for sure. I can put out a call for poster nominations too (make sure I don't miss anything obvious) and then decide on a format.

Might take a month to run, but all I'd have to do then is put up a couple of videos every day.

30. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast