Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 113

Thread: Fran Gavin

  1. #61
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    31,023
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,459
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,904
    Thanked in
    1,789 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    By your theory, Scanlon has only got the job because the FAI are broke. That's probably the case, to be fair. So what should we expect from him in the role then?
    Who knows? Just because he's an internal promotion doesn't mean he's not up to the job.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    He's in a position he wouldn't be near if the FAI could have gone out and hired someone suitably qualified
    You're back to saying things that you simply don't know if they're true or not now.

    Why would he not be near the job if external candidates were invited? You still haven't really answered that one.

    And that's the crux of the whole thing - you've very strong opinions on something that you don't seem to know anything about. I don't know much about it either, but I'm not going on about how unsuitable he is (and then asking what he's supposed to be doing anyway)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Yeah, and sure when the next fella comes along after Scanlon disappears, nobody will ask either where's Scanlon. Isn't that the problem? People come and go and nothing changes in the FAI regarding the league.
    Why are you still trying to judge a person's suitability for the job based on completely different people? Do you not see that that makes no sense?

  2. #62
    Reserves The Lilywhites's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    Location
    Oriel Park
    Posts
    961
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    108
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Did you go to UCD or do you just support the team? Things don't seem to get through to you. You were like this on a previous thread too.

    Clearly my idea of what the LOI Director should be and what you think he should be are two completely different things!

  3. Thanks From:


  4. #63
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    31,023
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,459
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,904
    Thanked in
    1,789 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Things don't seem to get through to you.
    What doesn't get through to me?

    You haven't made a single valid point as far as I can see.

    You've said you don't think a person is up to their new job based on, among other things, how other people did at other jobs, and that he's an internal candidate and therefore can't be up to the job. Yet you don't know what the job is or what their experience is.

    People who disagree with you are either obviously biased or else you resort to random insults.

    You're not really making a strong case for your view here. Do you want to start again?

  5. #64
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,453
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    210
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    What you need to know to decide if someones qualified for a job:

    The jobs responsibilities
    Their experience
    Their responsibilities in previous employment
    Their education
    Their personality

    What Lilywhites doesn't know about Scanlon:
    His new jobs responsibilities
    His experience
    His previous jobs responsibilities
    What his degree taught him
    Anything about him really

    What lilywhite does know:
    He's a rovers fan
    New job title
    Old job title


    I mean do I really need to say the logical conclusion to all that?

  6. Thanks From:


  7. #65
    Reserves The Lilywhites's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    Location
    Oriel Park
    Posts
    961
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    108
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    So you're both happy with Scanlon's appointment, based on him having a degree (most of which has nothing to do with this role) and his work in third level football.

    Fair enough. Real LOI mentality there. Sure it'll be grand.

    By the way Stu, you'd know about throwing insults and resorting to bad language.

  8. Thanks From:


  9. #66
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    31,023
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,459
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,904
    Thanked in
    1,789 Posts
    Where did I say I was happy with his appointment?

    Are you making stuff up again? It really doesn't help your argument.

    I've explicitly said I don't know enough to form an opinion on him. You seem to know even less but have a very strong opinion for some reason.

    And your last part then descends into random insults again.

  10. #67
    Reserves The Lilywhites's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    Location
    Oriel Park
    Posts
    961
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    108
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Where did I say I was happy with his appointment?

    Are you making stuff up again? It really doesn't help your argument.

    I've explicitly said I don't know enough to form an opinion on him.

    And your last part then descends into random insults again.
    You appear quite happy with his appointment, and the process in appointing him, based on what you said.

    You're the one calling someone a f**kwit on the forum.

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #68
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    31,023
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,459
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,904
    Thanked in
    1,789 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    You appear quite happy with his appointment, and the process in appointing him, based on what you said.
    You're not reading what I'm posting so.

    I don't know anything about the guy or how he was appointed so can't form an opinion. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make that.

    All I'm doing is arguing against your view. It doesn't hold up to scrutiny, and you've nothing solid to back it up it seems.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    You're the one calling someone a f**kwit on the forum.
    In 30k posts over 20 years here, I probably did call someone a ****wit once. Probably because they were a ****wit. Not sure how it helps your argument that Scanlon isn't up to the job though?

  13. #69
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,004
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,467
    Thanked in
    713 Posts
    Jeez, the way you hold grudges TL, I'm beginning to wonder if you were interviewed for the job. It takes some doing to make Rathfarnham Hoop come aross as the reasonable one, but he's ****ing António Guterres in comparison to you.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

  14. Thanks From:


  15. #70
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,090
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,472
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,256
    Thanked in
    1,898 Posts
    I'd just like to know what qualifications are expected from the ideal candidate?

  16. Thanks From:


  17. #71
    Reserves The Lilywhites's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    Location
    Oriel Park
    Posts
    961
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    108
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Jeez, the way you hold grudges TL, I'm beginning to wonder if you were interviewed for the job. It takes some doing to make Rathfarnham Hoop come aross as the reasonable one, but he's ****ing António Guterres in comparison to you.
    That's impossible sure. Scanlon was the only one that applied for it.

  18. Thanks From:


  19. #72
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,004
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,467
    Thanked in
    713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I'd just like to know what qualifications are expected from the ideal candidate?
    Psychiatry.

    If he did the UCD MSc in Sports Management (or anything similar), he'd have covered something along the lines of

    • Sport Governance & Law
    • Sport Leadership & People Management
    • Strategy & Operations Management in Sport
    • Sports Marketing
    • The Management of High Performance Sport
    • Sport Event Management & Communications
    • Research Dissertation

    (https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/!W_HU_MEN...PROG&MAJR=X762)

    which would be a useful starting point.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

  20. Thanks From:


  21. #73
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,988
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,730
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,101
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Undoubtedly people will think it no matter how impartial he is, even if he does the old home town ref thing where he is harder on his club to prove impartiality. Hopefully there wont be any polar opposite issues that are for or against SRFC. It should on balance be a good thing in having a fan of the league on board and it not seen by him as some poison chalice or FAI style punishment role.
    I don't know what we want, somebody who cares about the league, which pretty much means they're guaranteed to support a team, or someone from outside who doesn't care. All the refs in the league support a LOI team and we don't (usually) question their impartiality. There are players who support one team and play for their bitterest rivals but they still do their job. Just accept that guys will support teams and hope they've been appointed based on their competence. JD supported Waterford ffs, fat lot of good it did them.

  22. Thanks From:


  23. #74
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,988
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,730
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,101
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Same job? You can't compare schools / third level to what he's taking on here. What exactly did he do for those? Was it not just organising competitions/logistics?

    Sports Management degree hardly qualifies him for the role, come on now.
    How many people in Ireland have experience of running a professional sports league? I'm not batting for the guy, I don't know him, but I do think there's necessarily a bit of a leap of faith going on with any applicant here unless we can afford to parachute in foreigners with a track record.

  24. #75
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,988
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,730
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,101
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Why was this position separated from Fran Gavin's role. Gavin remains as Competitions Director. Was it a case of taking the heat off Gavin and throwing "LOI Director" to Scanlon?
    I suspect Gavin is an employee so can't be laid off as easily as a contract worker would be. Scanlon is also an employee so can be promoted to take over Gavin's remit but has to be given a different description because Gavin is still there. The FAI is a bizarre organisation.

  25. Thanks From:


  26. #76
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    31,023
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,459
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,904
    Thanked in
    1,789 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    That's impossible sure. Scanlon was the only one that applied for it.
    WeAreRovers has linked to the Indo (albeit behind paywall) to show there were three applicants.

    You've said a number of times now that there was only one applicant, but haven't said where you're getting that info from.

  27. #77
    Reserves The Lilywhites's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    Location
    Oriel Park
    Posts
    961
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    108
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    WeAreRovers has linked to the Indo (albeit behind paywall) to show there were three applicants.

    You've said a number of times now that there was only one applicant, but haven't said where you're getting that info from.
    Yeah, I wonder who's feeding Dan McDonnell...

    You clearly don't read anything, you just repeat your nonsense post after post. You're either on the wind up or completely thick. I said above where it was from.

  28. #78
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    31,023
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,459
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,904
    Thanked in
    1,789 Posts
    Dan McDonnell, the Dundalk fan, who now has a Rovers bias, yeah?

    Tell us - who is feeding him? Or are you just making stuff up again?

    It's not a remotely acceptable argument to throw out an accusation, dismiss actual evidence to the contrary as nonsense, and then accuse people as thick because they don't agree with you when you (a) provide no evidence at all to back your case up and (b) have lots of people actively showing your argument to be wrong.

  29. #79
    Reserves The Lilywhites's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    Location
    Oriel Park
    Posts
    961
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    108
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Dan McDonnell, the Dundalk fan, who now has a Rovers bias, yeah?

    Tell us - who is feeding him? Or are you just making stuff up again?

    It's not a remotely acceptable argument to throw out an accusation, dismiss actual evidence to the contrary as nonsense, and then accuse people as thick because they don't agree with you when you (a) provide no evidence at all to back your case up and (b) have lots of people actively showing your argument to be wrong.
    It's a long time since Dan McDonnell showed anything of being a Dundalk fan, but where did I mention Rovers bias? You're making up stuff.

    You're clearly too thick to realise how these things work.

    You and RH are the ones getting hung up on the fact that Scanlon is a Rovers man.

    It's far too important a role to just give to a sole applicant. I don't know Mark Scanlon or his qualities and he may end up being the best for the job but surely he should at least have competition to ensure this.
    https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/sta...560437760?s=21

  30. #80
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,453
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    210
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    "if it's true that only one person has put their name forward for the LOI Director's position"


    I'll translate for you and I'll keep it nice and simple for you.
    He doesn't know how many people applied. He's basing it off a rumour that there was only one applicant.

    Those tweets were also sent before anything was announced so was all based off rumours and Dan McDonnells article came after and set out the facts

    https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/sta...458137600?s=20

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26/07/2017, 9:21 AM
  2. Cup Final Tickets? Ocean 9.30 Fran Gavin
    By Rovers Maniac in forum Sligo Rovers
    Replies: 272
    Last Post: 05/11/2009, 6:57 PM
  3. Fran Gavin on AIL proposals in Sunday Indo
    By Mr_T in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 20/02/2008, 2:47 PM
  4. Fran Gavin - Settling-In Period Over
    By A face in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 14/12/2007, 2:09 PM
  5. Seán Connor, Fran Gavin on RTE Radio now
    By BohDiddley in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 19/01/2007, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •