Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fran Gavin

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Considering dundalk have lodged an appeal to have the whole season scrapped, I'm glad there's now a level headed individual in place at the FAI who will have the ability to assist in getting these bull$hit kite flying exercises thrown out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    I don't know what powers people think the league director has that could result in them being able to favour one club over another. They don't deal with anything that impacts clubs on a club by club basis it's all league body as a whole stuff
    Well the league suffered en masse for years so yeah the league as a whole. The leader of the cabal certainly made sure that directors stuck to the script and that the league director kept the clubs in line, I doubt that was with a friendly smile and a chirpy chat!! I would seriously doubt that the same position will again be allowed to work as a sabotage mission. I think it would be bit naive to think that any club supporter in a psoition of power wouldnt sway toward their own club at times. I'd kind of expect it if it were a Dundalk fan...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Considering dundalk have lodged an appeal to have the whole season scrapped, I'm glad there's now a level headed individual in place at the FAI who will have the ability to assist in getting these bull$hit kite flying exercises thrown out.
    Honest question PC! if SRFC had lost a couple of the games that were played would you have accepted the truncated season as it is now?

I get the reasoning for the appeal but I dont really think its the right thing to do under the circumstances. We will be lucky to get through the restarted season at all!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Well the league suffered en masse for years so yeah the league as a whole. The leader of the cabal certainly made sure that directors stuck to the script and that the league director kept the clubs in line, I doubt that was with a friendly smile and a chirpy chat!! I would seriously doubt that the same position will again be allowed to work as a sabotage mission. I think it would be bit naive to think that any club supporter in a psoition of power wouldnt sway toward their own club at times. I'd kind of expect it if it were a Dundalk fan...
    Again you have said literally less than nothing there about how things could be done to the advantage of specific clubs
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 20/07/2020 at 10:31 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Honest question PC! if SRFC had lost a couple of the games that were played would you have accepted the truncated season as it is now?
    If Rovers were 3 points behind dundalk, and had 13 games to win the league, I'd be shocked if you found any Rovers fan who wouldnt accept what's being proposed now. Dundalk hold no fear for Rovers, from what I can see of this current Rovers team. And I'd wager the fans think the same.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    If Rovers were 3 points behind dundalk, and had 13 games to win the league, I'd be shocked if you found any Rovers fan who wouldnt accept what's being proposed now. Dundalk hold no fear for Rovers, from what I can see of this current Rovers team. And I'd wager the fans think the same.
    Well its not really what I asked, I have no fear of Dundalk not leveling the playing field especially with a home game to come and it will be a race of consistancy and first out of the blocks in form. For the record I dont think Dundalk should be appealing the restart format under the circumstances. But if SRFC were 6 points or a couple of losses would you agree with just the 13 games left to play out?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Well its not really what I asked, I have no fear of Dundalk not leveling the playing field especially with a home game to come and it will be a race of consistancy and first out of the blocks in form. For the record I dont think Dundalk should be appealing the restart format under the circumstances. But if SRFC were 6 points or a couple of losses would you agree with just the 13 games left to play out?
    You're saying all this as if Rovers are happy with an 18 game season currently?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Again you have said literally less than nothing there about how things could be done to the advantage of specific clubs
    Of course not as nothing has ever been done to LoI's advantage by the FAI.

You see what you want to see RH, and you know that clubs in the past have been disadvantaged in a number of ways if they did not tow the line. It was the League Director who cracked the whip as one of the boys. That is unlikely to continue with the changes in the FAI, but there are of course advantages to having ones club represented at the highest levels. Use your imgagination! Its not a criticism or slur at SRFC, its simply common sense, human nature. I also alluded to how in can work against a club if someone goes betond the pale to show that they have no favour.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Of course not as nothing has ever been done to LoI's advantage by the FAI.

You see what you want to see RH, and you know that clubs in the past have been disadvantaged in a number of ways if they did tow the line. It was the League Director who cracked the whip as one of the boys. That is unlikely to continue with the changes in the FAI, but there are of course advantages to having ones club represented at the highest levels. Use your imgagination! Its not a criticism or slur at SRFC, its simply common sense, human nature. I also alluded to how in can work against a club if someone goes betond the pale to show that they have no favour.
    This is the third chance you've had to give just one example as to how individual clubs could be treated differently to the rest by the league director and you've yet again failed to do so.

As you said you see what you want and all you've seen is the words "Shamrock Rovers" and that's all it took for you to get worked up and you don't even know what you're getting worked up about

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    You're saying all this as if Rovers are happy with an 18 game season currently?
    You can have a go at answering the question asked of PC too if you like. Its easy enough, a yes or no answer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    This is the third chance you've had to give just one example as to how individual clubs could be treated differently to the rest by the league director and you've yet again failed to do so.

As you said you see what you want and all you've seen is the words "Shamrock Rovers" and that's all it took for you to get worked up and you don't even know what you're getting worked up about
    Eh I think its you getting worked up RH. Did I mention Shamrock Rovers?? Certainly not in a critical way; I did comment on an all league clubs being kept in check, that It can be good or bad to have a supporter at the top table etc. Angry RH must be itching to break out as there is no argument to see here!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    You can have a go at answering the question asked of PC too if you like. Its easy enough, a yes or no answer.
    Here's the thing though Shamrock Rovers are not happy with the shortened season and that is a fact, neither are Dundalk and that is a fact, Dundalk have appealed the shortened season again a fact. Shamrock Rovers haven't once more, fact.
    The thing is Dundalk want one of 3 things to happen,
    1. Restart an 18 game season which excluding the potential legal implications doesn't actually address any of the problems they claim to have with the shortened league.
    2. An extra round, financially impossible for the majority of clubs
    3. No champions league for the league winners

To me that smacks of desperation.
    Now you're not asking if Rovers were in Dundalks position would they appeal, you're asking if Rovers were worse than Dundalks position would they appeal and the answer to that is no. No Rovers wouldn't, nor would I expect them to, I suspect Rovers would have argued more for the clubs preferred solution but no there would not be an appeal because there's nothing really to appeal, Dundalk appealing nothing really because they had already decided that their preferred option wasn't viable before the vote.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Eh I think its you getting worked up RH. Did I mention Shamrock Rovers?? Certainly not in a critical way; I did comment on an all league clubs being kept in check, that It can be good or bad to have a supporter at the top table etc. Angry RH must be itching to break out as there is no argument to see here!
    Eh yeah actually you did

Undoubtedly people will think it no matter how impartial he is, even if he does the old home town ref thing where he is harder on his club to prove impartiality. Hopefully there wont be any polar opposite issues that are for or against SRFC . It should on balance be a good thing in having a fan of the league on board and it not seen by him as some poison chalice or FAI style punishment role.
    You brought up the possibility of bias towards Shamrock Rovers. Now for something to occur there must be 3 things, means, motive, opportunity. The first two you've covered, being LOI director, and being a Rovers fan, all I'm simply asking is for you to point out where the opportunity might be? Because if there's no opportunity then it's a null point isn't it? And there'd be no point in bringing it up but surely you wouldn't make a point about him being a rovers fan and potentially being biased if you didn't know how he could be? That wouldn't happen now would it?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I'll give you this Nesta you're quite smart in how you manipulate people with your posts, the whole alluding to something to get it in peoples minds without actually saying it is quite a good tactic and well used in the political world for the very reasons you're using it here. It's very hard to call someone out on something they've said when they've just alluded to it.

The whole planting the seed of thought of bias in peoples head by saying "I hope people won't accuse him of being biased" thus insinuating bias and giving people the thought while simultaneously being able to deny having said it and the planting it in peoples minds that my posts are somehow aggressive by referring to me as "angry RH" in an antagonist way before I've said anything even remotely angry and all I've done is call your bluff is smart and a tactic well used by you before.

And I know you're going to follow this by asking if I've a degree in psychology, probably with a joke about seeing right through your games, etc, couple of laughing emojis thrown in there too but I thought I'd just point these things out for other readers benefits since nobody has called you out on this tactic before.
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 21/07/2020 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    What's Scanlon's actual qualification for the job?

His background seems to be a coach/analyst/logistics, which is a strange profile for this role.

He was the only applicant for the job and it was an internal appointment, so he was hired on that alone.

Same old FAI, but obviously Scanlon was happy to accept the job so he should be judged on how he does.

It really should have been opened up to outside applicants.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    He did the same job for schools and colleges and has a degree in sports management

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    He did the same job for schools and colleges and has a degree in sports management
    Same job? You can't compare schools / third level to what he's taking on here. What exactly did he do for those? Was it not just organising competitions/logistics?

Sports Management degree hardly qualifies him for the role, come on now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Same job? You can't compare schools / third level to what he's taking on here. What exactly did he do for those? Was it not just organising competitions/logistics?

Careful now! You may be alluding to something...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post

So you don't know what his job is, that's okay, that makes two of you, you and Nesta.

You asked what qualifies him and I pointed out he has experience, with very good references may I add, in a similar field and a masters degree (a course that is pretty highly regarded globally) in the area. That makes him as qualified as anyone.

Oh and for future reference it's best not to dismiss something as being incomparable to something else then ask what exactly it was. It just makes you look stupid, as if you've tried to compare two things without knowing what at least one of them actually was, which is impossible so surely you wouldn't have done that now?
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 21/07/2020 at 4:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    All I know is third level football have a good Twitter page. Maybe he set that up.

You're comparing doing some work in third level football to now being LOI Director. Stop.

Being the only applicant for the job was clearly the reason he got it. Thanks for clarifying he isn't qualified at all for the role.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast