Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTÉ Call Out - Re-create Ray Houghton's goal v England, Stuttgart 88

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

RTÉ Call Out - Re-create Ray Houghton's goal v England, Stuttgart 88

RTÉ are looking for people to recreate Ray's famous goal against England in Euro 88. The best ones will be featured in an upcoming tv show on RTÉ 2 with added commentary too! Send your videos to email2fm@rte.ie
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Can this recreation be bettered?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Can this recreation be bettered?

Wouldn’t pass todays Politically Correct Police. They'd all get banged up ! !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Wouldn’t pass todays Politically Correct Police. They'd all get banged up ! !
    Apparantly it was reasonably okay in 2004 to portray an irish person to be dressed up as a potato, but not to have a paramilitary in the sketch.
    I was curious to find out the reaction to the sketch and I came across this article on the complaints to Ofcom.
    It was the Skinner/Baddiel sketch which had a bit of sex that got the most complaints,
    "criticised by viewers for its depiction of England coach Sven Goran Ericsson and Nancy Del'Olio having sex while England lost to France"

10 viewers complained about a separate programme in which Ray Houghton was asked to prove he was Irish. Viewers stated that they were offended by the stereotyped portrayal of Irish people. In particular, they objected to the inclusion of a person apparently intended to represent a gunman.
    The regulator also stated that the Irish paramilitary figure in the programme of 27 June was played by the programme's producer, himself a Dubliner. The watchdog stated that: "Although we acknowledge that the humour would not be shared by all viewers, we believe that it was not intended to be malicious or offensive."

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Apparantly it was reasonably okay in 2004 to portray an irish person to be dressed up as a potato, but not to have a paramilitary in the sketch.
    I was curious to find out the reaction to the sketch and I came across this article on the complaints to Ofcom.
    It was the Skinner/Baddiel sketch which had a bit of sex that got the most complaints,
    "criticised by viewers for its depiction of England coach Sven Goran Ericsson and Nancy Del'Olio having sex while England lost to France"

10 viewers complained about a separate programme in which Ray Houghton was asked to prove he was Irish. Viewers stated that they were offended by the stereotyped portrayal of Irish people. In particular, they objected to the inclusion of a person apparently intended to represent a gunman.
    The regulator also stated that the Irish paramilitary figure in the programme of 27 June was played by the programme's producer, himself a Dubliner. The watchdog stated that: "Although we acknowledge that the humour would not be shared by all viewers, we believe that it was not intended to be malicious or offensive."

They might have got away with it if they dressed the potato as a paramilitary. Out of the Boxty thinking required ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    "Although we acknowledge that the humour would not be shared by all viewers, we believe that it was not intended to be malicious or offensive."

[/I]
    C'mon Paddy, where's your sense of humour? It's just 'avin a larf, innit?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Drog View Post
    C'mon Paddy, where's your sense of humour? It's just 'avin a larf, innit?
    Ray Houghton got well in to it, or was that the Appearance Fee !

The programme producer ( the Dubliner ) also went along with it obviously !

Irish people are complicated !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Ray Houghton got well in to it, or was that the Appearance Fee !

The programme producer ( the Dubliner ) also went along with it obviously !

Irish people are complicated !
    I'm not that precious about it to be honest. The sketch is consistent though with a too common portrayal of Irish people by the English in the 80s and 90s.

I enjoyed the "gunman was a Dubliner" defence. It reminds me of Chris Finch in The Office: "How can I hate women? My mum's one"!

Anyhoo...I'm not that offended by it, and the Irish (or The English depending on your point of view perhaps) are indeed complicated!

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    I'm not that precious about it to be honest. The sketch is consistent though with a too common portrayal of Irish people by the English in the 80s and 90s.

I enjoyed the "gunman was a Dubliner" defence. It reminds me of Chris Finch in The Office: "How can I hate women? My mum's one"!

Anyhoo...I'm not that offended by it, and the Irish (or The English depending on your point of view perhaps) are indeed complicated!
    Actually I am not saying it was Ok. Perhaps as it was 2004 ( 7 years after the Good Friday Agreement ) it was almost meant as a satire or something like that.

A bit like “ Little Britain " basically using Bernard Manning's material in a supposed " Clever way and from the Opposite point of view “ but sort of still using Bernard Manning style Material.

Life is complicated. I wasn’t a huge fan of Little Britain so maybe I shouldn’t be giving this a Free Pass either. Anyway it was a long time ago and best to move on !

Is there any Black and Tan Goal Sketch that FG can bestow upon us ! ! !

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I'd missed the bit about it being 2004. I assumed it was from the 90s, and I'd forgotten that the show made a come back. And I like Little Britain- I've strong double standards obviously!

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts

You might have missed the obvious. The sketch was a piece of satire taking the peee out of those who hold common english prejudices about a potato head called Murphy et.c. and having us have a laugh at the prejudices and the irish stereotypes. Not unlike what Steve Coogan and Billy Connolly have been doing for decades.
    Baddiel and Skinner are not morons.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    What is obvious geyser is that it wasn't obvious that it was satire. If it was obvious then Irish groups in the UK would have called it out as a sharp piece of social commentary, rather than complaining about it. B&S are not morons, but I'm not convinced they got it right this time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    The sketch didn't go down well when it was originally broadcast: https://foot.ie/threads/15390-Ray-Houghton-Disgrace
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Skinner has always been on the edge.
    His real name is Collins, and is of Irish descent so I’m sure he didn’t want to insult the whole Irish race.
    I watched it at the time and laughed and said ‘well that’s gonna get them into hot water.’

It was shocking to see.
    But a little bit funny because it was so inappropriate.
    I always thought to myself ‘what the hell is Houghton doing going along with it?’

It wasn’t a great move on their part but that’s what happens sometimes with that type of comedy.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Out of interest, how do we recreate the goal while socially distancing?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Out of interest, how do we recreate the goal while socially distancing?
    Behave like the English Defence ! !

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Behave like the English Defence ! !
    Ha ha very good 😂

26. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    What is obvious geyser is that it wasn't obvious that it was satire. If it was obvious then Irish groups in the UK would have called it out as a sharp piece of social commentary, rather than complaining about it. B&S are not morons, but I'm not convinced they got it right this time.
    Were Irish groups so outraged, apart from the usual suspects?
    The recreation sketch was so corny and ott, that it had to be staged. It was Benny Hill on acid.
    Perhaps Irish people don't react so much when it's Irish comedians doing the Irish satire like in Father Ted. I think Steve Coogan managed to survive opprobrium from Irish people with his OTT oirish version of 'come out ye black and tans' & 'armored cars tanks and guns'? I know it didn't go down too well with James Bond . Maybe there has been some growing up since 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Coogan is from an Irish family, pretty sure he has an Irish passport, and has played Irish characters on tv before

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Coogan has a strong Irish background on both sides. His paternal grandfather ran Irish dance halls in Manchester. By accountd, his father worked at the halls and met a Mayo woman there, Steve's mother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast