Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Bunny-invasion in Dublin's Village Quarter next week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bunny-invasion in Dublin's Village Quarter next week

Next week it's finally happening... My favourite band of all time, the magic ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN, are performing at Bud Rising festival as the opening day's headliner !! Can't wait till it's wednesday...

Apart from the chance to hear the blissful tunes next to my front door, there's a meeting planned with all Ireland-based Bunnymen-fans, and a bunch of UK-based fans travelling to Dublin for the gig...

Anyone else coming to see this magical band next week ? In that case, see you there and remember: KEEP THE FLAME IN YOUR DESIRE ALWAYS RISING HIGH, AIM FOR STARS AND HIT THE SKY !

(PS: went to their Liverpool show in December as well, also including a meet-up afterwards... Class all the way and well worth the +500 euro I spent on it)
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Damn i thought it was a different kind of bunny...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If I may quote Half Man Half Biscuit at this time:-

" Oh darling sugar honey/ When it was nice and sunny/ And when I had some money/ We would go see Echo and The Bunny/ MEN "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=Gerrit]Next week it's finally happening... My favourite band of all time, the magic ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN, are performing at Bud Rising festival as the opening day's headliner !! Can't wait till it's wednesday...

What venue is the Bunnymen gig taking place in, cause the bud rising shows in London are in all different venues. I'm over in Ireland next week and I will try and get to that meself.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's in the Village hall in Dublin's so-called "Village Quarter". Ten minute walk from my home, and with some good pubs nearby for an after-gig Bunnymen-fans meeting.

@ Pete: sorry to disappoint you on that, it's actually the Bunnymen yeah. Though Ian McCulloch is very sexy as well, so no reason for you to stay home

My fan t-shirt is ready, all washed and ironed... Four more nights !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Echo and the bunnymen are crap

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra Red
    you're going to have to do better than that to get people going.
    they are/were a huge influence on a lot of bands.
    wise up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra Red
    If you weren't supporting the same team and if I wouldn't have met you and seen you're a nice lad, I would have to get angry here But to keep the peace at Tolka, I'll just say that tastes vary...

You cannot deny their credits in music. The band is still there after 27 years of existance and still going strong, they're one of the few bands that survived. If they were crap according to so many people they would have been long dead. But despite the lack of attention from the press and the lack of appreciation from the mainstream audience, the band is still there, still playing at big festivals (Glastonbury coming up !) and still has a cult status in the new-wave world. The support may not be as big as for bands such as U2, but we're core support and loyal fans. And we're not all nostalgic people in the fourties... I am 23 (younger than the band itself) and I'm not the only 'young' Bunnymen adept, last December in Liverpool at the special Bunnymen gig I met several people in their early twenties who are also wild about the band.

And yes they have influenced lot of bands. Even U2. The Edge admitted recently that some tunes on the new U2 album (Atomic Bomb) were influenced by Echo & The Bunnymen. I am very glad that even U2 dares to credit the Bunnies, despite the fact that Ian McCulloch has already stated several times that he doesn't like Bono.
    Also Coldplay's Chris Martin has credited the Bunnymen as a main source of inspiration and as being one of his favourite bands ever. Ian and Chris are close friends BTW, Chris collaborated on Ian's last solo record "Slideling".

Albums such as "Crocodiles" and "Ocean rain" were very new at those times, very experimental, and did influence lot of bands that came after them. And songs such as "The killing moon" and "Bring on the dancing horses" became absolute classics.

I will quote a music journalist here:

"Echo & The Bunnymen had an air of mystery. Maybe it was the black coats, maybe it was the haircuts, maybe it was the production. But an album like "Heaven up here" doesn't sound like being made by humans who watch [x] or go to the toilet"

I rest my case

(the [x] is as I am not 100% sure of the name which was at that place, I think it was Billy and then another surname... But the rest of the quote I remembered 100% well, as I think it's one of the most beautiful comments I have ever heard on my favourite band)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It was a very nice evening ! Great setlist (though almost the same as in Liverpool last December, but doesn't bother me) full of classic epics (Bring on the dancing horses, Killing moon, Seven seas, Crocodiles, Never stop, Back of love, The cutter, Lips like sugar, ...). Just a pity they never play any newer songs except for the new album stuff and Nothing Lasts Forever.

Will Sergeant was in excellent form, his guitars are simply brilliant. Ian is as always a great stage personality, though his voice didn't come through as it should at some moments, think a combination of bad acoustics and the last traces of an illness which made him lose his voice during a recent US gig... Though of course a little less cigarettes wouldn't do the case any bad...

Highlights of the gig were IMO: Crocodiles, Zimbo (all my colours), Lips like sugar, Never stop, Villiers terrace, Back of love.
    And a personal highlight for me: I posed with Will Sergeant