Thread: Dundalk Chairman Attacks FAI

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Dundalk Chairman Attacks FAI

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...-fai-1.4244862

Dundalk chairman Bill Hulsizer says that he stands over the comments made in an email sent to senior officials at other Airticity League clubs over the weekend but that he will only elaborate on charges made against the FAI once the recipients have had the opportunity to reply to what he describes as a “cry for help”.
    Hulsizer, who succeeded Mike Treacy as the club’s chairman at the end of last year, is scathing in the email, which The Irish Times has seen.
    “Dundalk FC and myself have been lied to, stolen from, insulted and disrespected by the FAI,” he says in an extraordinary attack. “I am sure many of you feel the same, and have suffered similar treatment. Thursday’s meeting has convinced me that the FAI are masters’ of spin and want everyone to focus on the future and forget about the past.
    He goes on to describe “the FAI of the past,” as “a failed business model,” and contends that while John Delaney is universally held responsible, others, some of them still active and influential at the association, must take a share of the blame for some of the current failings.
    Ultimately, he suggests that the tone of one of the league’s recent working group meetings and some of the documentation circulated after another; “indicates the FAI intends to treat the clubs of Ireland as subservient to the FAI.
    “They [the FAI] have not earned nor do they deserve that right,” he says, adding that “We, Dundalk FC, are prepared to work with (not for) the FAI to promote the League of Ireland, or to challenge the FAI publicly in all the forums available (Fifa, Uefa, Irish Governmen and most importantly the Irish people).”
    He concludes by asking owners of other clubs to support his position.
    Contacted for a comment, Hulsizer said: “I will stand behind everything that I have said there I don’t think it is fair to my fellow club owners to say anything more until they have had a chance to consider the email.”

Behind closed doors, the American is said to have been repeatedly critical of the association in recent months and is understood to feel aggrieved, on behalf of his club, with regard to the way Stephen Kenny was hired by the FAI, the association’s much more recent interest in Ruairdhi Higgins and other aspects of the financial relationship between the two.
    He appears to favour a complete break by clubs with the association and may well have been angered by an exchange at the working group meeting of April 23rd during which, according to the minutes: “It was clarified that the bottom line is the FAI would not agree in any circumstances that an independent structure will be set up to run the Premier Division commercially; it has to be seen as under the subsidiary of the FAI.”
    Brand awareness

He also expresses irritation with regard to the early stages of the process to draw up a new participation agreement to replace one that was, during Delaney’s time in charge of the association, widely seen as an instrument for suppressing any criticism, or even questions, from clubs.
    Privately, though, senior officials in the association’s current leadership have accepted that the old participation agreement was entirely unfair and the suggestion has been that there is a willingness to move towards something far more equitable, with the end of June mentioned as a target date.
    Officials from some other clubs said yesterday that they believe the association’s representatives at the meetings have come across as sincere on this point and that the process seems to be progressing quite well.
    Figures given to the meeting of the 23rd, meanwhile, suggest that the FAI has been making a profit of just under €300,000 on running the league with Uefa funding of 1.045 million, sponsorship of €375,000, television revenues of €341,000, Streaming income of €110,000 and €200,000 in fines more than enough to cover the cost of prize money, administration and other expenses. Delaney had always claimed the association subsidised the league and refused to allow the clubs see the figures.

The clubs have also been shown the results of market research which suggests significantly increased interest levels in the league –up by around 20 per cent since 2016 – with the senior club game here enjoying good brand awareness and a positive image among the population at large.
    The association has committed to working with clubs on a number of fronts, including investment in stadiums and other facilities as well as commercial revenues and the development of the women’s and underage games.
    Its own revenues seem increasingly likely to be further hit by the Covid-19 crisis, however, with growing doubts about the prospect of the Nations League games scheduled for the autumn going ahead and at the very least there seems very likely to be severe restrictions on attendances.
    Interim CEO Gary Owens recently acknowledged that the three home games – against Finland, Wales and Bulgaria – are financially important to the FAI but in an interview with this newspaper in recent days, Dr Cillian De Gascun, a member of the National Public Health Emergency Team, was asked about whether he envisaged England and France being able to come to Dublin for international rugby matches next spring.
    “In my own head, I would like to think the Six Nations can happen,” he said, “but I don’t see how at this point.”

Lets hope all clubs get behind him, but can't see it happening.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Interesting read , the part that says the FAI turns a profit from running the league is a new one for me, haven’t heard that anywhere before.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Interesting read , the part that says the FAI turns a profit from running the league is a new one for me, haven’t heard that anywhere before.
    Cant link it but just got a screenshot, Neil O Rioardan from Sun today talking about the "New" FAI in it, very interesting read.

Basically they have a new CEO lined up, but they are going to advertise the position anyway

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Thanks for putting that up Dundalkfc10, a lot of interesting new information(for me anyway) about the cost and funding of the league. Uefa make up 50% of all revenue is a standout fact for me.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    You wonder how much UEFA income will be after all this, especially as it looks like next season's CL/EL could be a write-off.

Could easily be looking at an ITV Digital impact across the whole of Europe.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Figures given to the meeting of the 23rd, meanwhile, suggest that the FAI has been making a profit of just under €300,000 on running the league with Uefa funding of 1.045 million, sponsorship of €375,000, television revenues of €341,000, Streaming income of €110,000 and €200,000 in fines more than enough to cover the cost of prize money, administration and other expenses. Delaney had always claimed the association subsidised the league and refused to allow the clubs see the figures.
    What a bunch of prime scumbags they really were.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    What a bunch of prime scumbags they really were.
    Were? Still are

The "New" FAI seem to have a new CEO lined up for a position they are planning to advertise. Niall O Riordon has full link to the story on his instagram

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Just looking at those figures again actually - that's €2m income?

So it costs €1.7m to run the league? Not sure I believe that side either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    Yes! You can always rely on this league for some soap opera. Screw work, I'm making popcorn.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    €200k fines! €200k! TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND EURO!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Just looking at those figures again actually - that's €2m income?

So it costs €1.7m to run the league? Not sure I believe that side either.
    I'd be skeptical of figures on both sides of the equation. Income and expenditure. They haven't included affiliation fees in the article in the times. That'd be another €250k of income which would then bring the €1.7m to run the league even higher. Would love to know what the expenditure is made up of though. I guess the key thing is, are the clubs seeing that detail? I'd guess not otherwise Dundalk wouldn't have sent their email. Be interesting to see what responses they get from other clubs.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LOI101 View Post
    I'd be skeptical of figures on both sides of the equation. Income and expenditure. They haven't included affiliation fees in the article in the times. That'd be another €250k of income which would then bring the €1.7m to run the league even higher. Would love to know what the expenditure is made up of though. I guess the key thing is, are the clubs seeing that detail? I'd guess not otherwise Dundalk wouldn't have sent their email. Be interesting to see what responses they get from other clubs.
    Word about town is after they get their response from other clubs, they are taking this as high up as they can.

They feel, since Peak 6 took over they have hid money from Dundalk. That why he states they have robbed from me and Dundalk.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    With that heading until I opened the thread I had visions of Bill storming in to FAI HQ with petrol can and lighter in hand!!

Isnt it pretty easy to find out if money was hidden, well if it was European money. Simply ask UEFA what was awarded and compare with what was recieved. I can see all sorts of 'administration fees' added by the FAI to process. The fines though im with Mr A in reaction. I see no reason to doubt the figures above and do have reason still to doubt FAI figures. Some solid accounting cooperation between clubs would show many of the questioned figures if deemed necessary

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Word about town is after they get their response from other clubs, they are taking this as high up as they can.

They feel, since Peak 6 took over they have hid money from Dundalk. That why he states they have robbed from me and Dundalk.
    The FAI under Delaney essentially followed a dictator's blueprint. Keep your people in fear and in poverty, and then they'll be totally reliant on you and acquiescent towards you.

The FAI has done the same with the clubs. The good thing about Peak 6 is that they're bigger, smarter and wealthier than the FAI. They don't have to tug the forelock out of fear that the FAI will fine them or with-hold something from them, as they have their own resources if needs be. And their status as the best club on the island gives them added power.

Dundalk is probably the only club who can genuinely stand up to the FAI without worrying about any consequences. And it's good for everyone that they are IMO.I hope they take the fcukers to court so various people involved with the organisation end up under oath in a witness stand. I'd pay good money to see JD there myself.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Speaking of the not so great JD how does he earn a living now his mrs has abandoned him!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post

Rumours also of cuts on the way at Oriel. Very understandable and probably should have happened sooner.

Might be tactical the timing and leaking of the chairman's email, to maybe deflect away from the owners.

I agree with any cuts made to be honest, can't just keep paying out stupid wages when you have no money coming in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Speaking of the not so great JD how does he earn a living now his mrs has abandoned him!
    Rovers fans may be able to shed light on this!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    €200k fines! €200k! TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND EURO!
    And imagine what that would go up to when Shels come to Tallaght, I'd say in the Rovers Bohs game last year when Rovers had 2 reds (one was grace in the face), Bohs also had a few yellows, there was also about 12 flares on display, that game alone probably put 10k into the kitty for the cnuts, and it wasn't a dirty game by any standards, the fines are infuriating but are something we all suffer, some more than others but it's still money out of all our clubs pockets

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Following up on this I read on twitter (@chippie1974, the Bohs fan that has a blog about LOI finances, dunno if he posts here) that the €1m UEFA funding is solidarity funding that's passed through to the clubs. I'd say there's all sorts of questions about whether its paid to clubs on time etc but probably shouldn't be included in the figures for running the league if the FAI are just a conduit for this money.

So then we're back to not really knowing what the true figures are. Not really important whether I know the figures or not but the contents of the article are based on what was presented to clubs. Fair play to the dundalk chairman for speaking out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    chippie has an account on here alright, though like a lot, he hasn't posted in a while.

Solidarity money never really reaches the clubs afaik - it sits on a contra account and fines/referees' fees/affiliation fees are offset against it. Which actually does make sense, provided it all roughly balances out.

26. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast