Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doire teams in NI leagues ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doire teams in NI leagues ??

Since Derry City left the IL for the EL, does the city of Derry/Londonderry/Doire still have a club as well in the IL or in a lower (amateur based) Northern Irish league ?

*I used the term Doire in the topic title to prevend this thread turning into a nationalist vs unionist debate, hope we can keep politics from ruining this topic*
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    Since Derry City left the IL for the EL, does the city of Derry/Londonderry/Doire still have a club as well in the IL or in a lower (amateur based) Northern Irish league ?

*I used the term Doire in the topic title to prevend this thread turning into a nationalist vs unionist debate, hope we can keep politics from ruining this topic*
    Yep, they are called Institue and play in the Irish Premier League.
    Hatchets and Hammers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know Institute are from county Derry, but are they really from the city of Londonderry/Derry ?

If so, what are their attendances and are they any popular in the city where DCFC seems to be the dominating team ?
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i think they originally played in the waterside of the city when still an amateur team then about 6 years ago or more (guessing) they moved out to the YMCA place at Drumahoe, about 5 miles on the belfast side of the city.
    they are a fairly small club but slowly progressing. small but tidy ground. average attendance maybe 2-300? a lot of them are younger fans.
    Last edited by -lamb-; 28/05/2005 at 5:19 PM.
    Larne FC for Larne Town. Inver Park for the people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -lamb-
    they are a fairly small club but slowly progressing. small but tidy ground. average attendance maybe 2-300? a lot of them are younger fans.
    That would be a massive average for a fairly small club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Is Institute the club Martin O'Neill left for Forest?
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Nowhere near 2-3000 fans. Barely 1000 on a good day.
    They play in Drumahoe, which is more or less part of the city these days.

They're not great by eL standards, a lot of ex-Derry City players playing for them.

http://www.institutefc.com/
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well Oxford United Stars play in the Division 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank
    Is Institute the club Martin O'Neill left for Forest?
    I think that was Distillery where he won one Irish Cup and played against Barca in the CWC. Even scored a goal against them I think.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire
    Nowhere near 2-3000 fans. Barely 1000 on a good day.
    They play in Drumahoe, which is more or less part of the city these days.

They're not great by eL standards, a lot of ex-Derry City players playing for them.

http://www.institutefc.com/
    um, i said hundred not thousand. that's 2 of you who didn't read it right!
    they are a fairly constant lower mid-table team, not great but reasonably competent.

as for "not great by eL standards"......ahem........i think the "eL is better" argument got shot down in flames by the setanta cup.

oh, and martin o'neill did indeed play for distillery before moving to england.
    Last edited by -lamb-; 28/05/2005 at 7:13 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy
    Well Oxford United Stars play in the Division 2.
    haven't they been doing fairly well this last few seasons? whereabouts in the city do they play?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    um, i said hundred not thousand. that's 2 of you who didn't read it right!
    My apologies. Poor eyesight.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Guys

Gerry Anderson who works for BBC Radio in the North calls it Stroke City as in
    Derry Stroke Londonderry. A point of information is that the name Londonderry which is incidentally no longer a valid name as the city council voted to call it Derry.. Londonderry East is the name of the COunty Constituency who returned that bloke with the glasses Gregory something for the DUP in the last election to Westminster.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    not sure if this is right and don't want to start a big kerfuffle about it, but didn't the council only change THEIR name. i don't think they have the power to change the name of the city. so, officially it is still londonderry afaik (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong there)
    i didn't want to use Stroke City in case people hadn't a clue what i meant but it suits me. i use that or l'derry myself
    Last edited by -lamb-; 28/05/2005 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    haven't they been doing fairly well this last few seasons? whereabouts in the city do they play?
    This season was their first time in it. Not sure where they ended up in the league but. They play on th Buncrana Rd. at the sports complex in Derry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    No kerfuffle necessary. As far as I know (and there are many better acquainted with the facts) the local council renamed itself Derry City Council in 1984. The official name of the city - at least according to it's Royal Charter (ahem) - remains as it has since Londonderry. FWIW, I like Gerry Anderson's take on it. You'll never please all of the people...

PP

---

This from nationmaster.com:

The true name of the city of Derry or Londonderry (in Irish , Doire Cholm Chille or Doire), often called the Maiden City, is a city in Northern Ireland. The old walled city of Londonderry lies on the west bank of the River Foyle, but the city now covers both banks and is connected by two bridges. Derry or Londonderry, often called the Maiden City, is a city in Northern Ireland. The old walled city of Londonderry lies on the west bank of the River Foyle, but the city now covers both banks.

Although many unionists will call it Derry in casual conversation, they generally insist on calling it Londonderry during political discourse; the reverse is not true of nationalists. The most visible sign of this dispute to the visitor is in the road signage; those pointing to the town from within the Republic refer to it as "Derry", whilst across the border it is written as "Londonderry". It is not uncommon to see vandalised road signs - the "London" part of the name spray painted over on "Londonderry" road signs by nationalists, and occasionally added to "Derry" signs by unionists.

Irish nationalists, however, do not accept the change of name. The local authority is controlled by nationalist parties, and has officially changed its name to Derry City Council. The name of the city is still specified by its charter as Londonderry, and many unionists continue to call it Londonderry. The council has the power to apply to the The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland is the British cabinet minister who has responsibility for the government of Northern Ireland. The office was created following the suspension, then abolition, of the home rule Parliament of Northern Ireland in 1972. The council has the right to ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland to change the city's name officially, but has not done so.

A suggested compromise wording of "Derry/Londonderry" (read "Derry stroke Londonderry") has given rise to the ironic local usage "Stroke City". Gerry Anderson, a local radio presenter who espoused this term, became known briefly as "Gerry/Londongerry". Another locally-used method of partly circumventing this name problem is to write "L'derry" or "L-Derry".
    Last edited by Plastic Paddy; 29/05/2005 at 10:08 AM.
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    The Council are in legal moves to get the name of the City officially changed to "Derry".

As for Stute, they would get 200-300 unless they are playing Linfield or Glens, when the away support would swell the crowd significantly.

They play on the Waterside, in the Drumahoe area which is on the very edge of the City as you come in the road from Belfast.

They are a friendly wee club and are managed by Pascal Vandequin(ex Derry, Rovers and Harps) and have a number of ex Derry players in their ranks.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    It's not gonna happen. I believe it got the name London as a reward by Royal Charter. I don't think that can be reversed too easily. In fact I think that is the main reason it hasn't already been changed by now. However as previously mentioned the city council is officially Derry City Council. Also having been in Slovenia for quite sometime all Slovenian maps call it Londonderry and to any foreigners who happen to casually know of it they think it is called so too.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    It's not gonna happen. I believe it got the name London as a reward by Royal Charter. I don't think that can be reversed too easily. In fact I think that is the main reason it hasn't already been changed by now. However as previously mentioned the city council is officially Derry City Council. Also having been in Slovenia for quite sometime all Slovenian maps call it Londonderry and to any foreigners who happen to casually know of it they think it is called so too.
    No disrespect intended here to you Poor student but why did you have to raise Slovenia in a thread about Derry? It is a sore point with Candystripes fans since they sank like the Teatanic when they played the Champions of that country some time ago

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    No disrespect intended here to you Poor student but why did you have to raise Slovenia in a thread about Derry? It is a sore point with Candystripes fans since they sank like the Teatanic when they played the Champions of that country some time ago
    Actually Teatanic were the sponsor. Maribor is the team, and indeed the name of the Derry poster in this thread. So they seek to remind themselves! Thankfully with corruption and mispending the 7 in a row champs are crumbling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast