Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Full Videos of Old Irish Matches

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    "Arguably our greatest ever performance", claimed Jimmy McGee in commentary. Judging from the highlights, it would be easy to believe. He also mentioned that we had conceded six against the same opposition three years earlier. We looked on a totally different level to the USSR, footballing wise. Was a pretty feisty affair too.

Brady stood out a mile alright, hard to believe it was his debut. Highway was very lively and Giles still had it. Seems we didn't raise much of a gallop thereafter though? Needless to say we failed to qualify, a tough looking double header doing for us in the second half of the campaign. CCCP, instead, advanced to the (pre-final tournament) two legged quarter finals, where they lost to eventual winners Czechoslovakia.

Love the massive tricolour on the halfway line
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Love the massive tricolour on the halfway line
    Some good Irish players on the field there.

Jimmy Holmes; A very good player for Spurs . He broke his leg a few years after this and he was never the same player afterwards. Which was a big loss to Spurs and Ireland.

Giles, Brady ; Well everybody knows about those two, Brilliant.

Steve Heighway ; Great Player for Liverpool. I don’t think he always got the credit he deserved for being part of that Great Liverpool Team.

Don Givens; Had a great few years for QPR and Ireland.

Ray Treacy; Maybe not top quality but I’d say he’d give you a days work marking him and him marking you !

Paddy Roche was a young goalkeeper trying to make the Grade at Man Utd but he dropped some clangers and his career sort a petered out after that. He played well that day for Ireland.

Joe Kinear had a great game against Oleg Blokhin (?) in that match. Blokhin was a big star for Russia. Yet to my mind he never quite produced what we were always told he could do. Still Good though.

Paddy Mulligan and Mick Martin; Give it all Type Fellas and who doesn’t need those.

I never saw much of Terry Mancini. Obviously he wasn’t going to take any messing from the Russian. Its very hard not to call him Henry Mancini and attempt to say something smart !

Had we got lets say five years together, of the Best of Brady and the Best of Giles we would have had some midfield. I suppose that would have been too much for the Gods to give to a small Country like Ireland at the same time ! !

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Just wanted a bit of refresh of the Jimmy Holmes story. What such a serious injury can rob a player of.

He broke his leg playing for Ireland.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...olmes-12988326

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Extended highlights of Ireland/Holland in 01 on RTE right now, it'll be on the Player later probably. Whatever about the quality of that side, they had a confidence we've struggled to replicate consistently since. But how did the Dutch not score?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    RTÉ 2 are tucking into Euro '88 next, starting on Saturday:

21:30 Euro '88 - The First Time (Darragh Maloney and guest Ronnie Whelan with a look back at the Republic of Ireland's historic first appearance in a major tournament at Euro 88)

22:30 Euro '88 - England v Republic of Ireland (Highlights of Ireland's famous win over England in Stuttgart)

23:30 Euro '88 - Dutch Masters (The official UEFA film on the tournament that shot Dutch football to the top of Europe)

I think they're doing the subsequent tournaments with Irish involvement over the next few weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Extended highlights of Ireland/Holland in 01 on RTE right now, it'll be on the Player later probably. Whatever about the quality of that side, they had a confidence we've struggled to replicate consistently since. But how did the Dutch not score?
    A miracle really.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    There was some serious attacking talent in that Dutch side: Overmars, Van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, Hasselbaink, Van Hooijdonk, not to mention Davids, the de Boers, Stam and Van Der Sar elsewhere. It's astonishing they couldn't get it together to make it to South Korea/Japan, or to win the tournament they co-hosted two years later.

I'd actually love to see a few hours dedicated to that qualifying campaign on RTE. Would it be fair to say it's the best Ireland have played consistently in the last few decades? The Iran play-off is one that I haven't actually seen any highlights of since it was played.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I'd actually love to see a few hours dedicated to that qualifying campaign on RTE. Would it be fair to say it's the best Ireland have played consistently in the last few decades? The Iran play-off is one that I haven't actually seen any highlights of since it was played.
    Not quite a few hours but this was the programme RTÉ did on that qualification campaign. 'How many Yen to a Euro?' was the official title if memory serves.
    It's been uploaded to YouTube in three parts.

Part 2

Part 3

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    A miracle really.
    They really should have. Their penalty shout seemed a sure fire penalty initially too but the replay showed it was more Van Nistelrooy running into the back of Given.

Would we still have qualified if they’d gotten the equaliser?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    A draw would have done us alright.

They lost away to us and Portugal. All the other matches between the top three were draws.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Was Van Gaal’s tactical genius that day ? Just throw on forwards from the Bench ?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    In fairness - van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, van Hooijdonk and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink up against Richie Dunne, Steve Staunton and us down to ten men.

I'd have done it.

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In fairness - van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, van Hooijdonk and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink up against Richie Dunne, Steve Staunton and us down to ten men.

I'd have done it.
    I wouldn’t have given you the Utd job on the back of that particularly when you did not get the Result !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Was Van Gaal’s tactical genius that day ? Just throw on forwards from the Bench ?
    Of course Kelly banjaxed one winger who had to be replaced but suprisingly Van Gaal replaced the other winger Zenden (with Hassselbank?), he was also missing two or three starting players. I think that Nederlands squad had the bones of Van Gaals classic Ajax team from the mid 1990s.
    That had to be one the poorest back 4s that ever took the field for us, Kelly was muck all the game, Stan was arthritic, Dunne was almost a virgin and Harte looked like he could be skinned when one on one with Zenden in a nano second.
    I had forgotten how much we hoofed the ball up field, we badly needed a player like Houghton in midfield.
    The ref was also good to us that day, his good decisions went in our favour, the penalty shout (also a Dunne hand ball?). He then played advantage, not just once but twice in a row in the lead up to our goal, normally a ref would have blown up for the 2nd foul but this German ref had vision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    We were lucky in the home leg but the same was true for them in the reverse game at the start of the campaign.

https://youtu.be/sVV-f9LoSLw

20. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    The match against Holland at home in September of 2001, I seem to remember watching it in a pub and there was a replay of the Dutch keeper handling the ball just on the outside of the box. Can anyone who has seen the recent replay confirm? Also, is there any way that someone in the USA can watch some of these old matches?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    The match against Holland at home in September of 2001, I seem to remember watching it in a pub and there was a replay of the Dutch keeper handling the ball just on the outside of the box. Can anyone who has seen the recent replay confirm?
    yes, he carries the ball outside his box a few minutes from the end. it was more in a rush to get on with the game than anything. none of our players were near him at the time.

no doubt we were quite lucky that day but some of our individual performances (roy in particular) were outstanding

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    The match against Holland at home in September of 2001, I seem to remember watching it in a pub and there was a replay of the Dutch keeper handling the ball just on the outside of the box. Can anyone who has seen the recent replay confirm? Also, is there any way that someone in the USA can watch some of these old matches?
    Good memory. That was in the dying minutes when Van der Sar was eager to get the ball moving back up the pitch. He carelessly ran the ball to the edge of the box in his arms, and probably did step slightly outside before releasing.

Edit: or what jbyrne said!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Much ado about very little.
    Van de Saar's indiscretion was marginal, if at all and if there was any doubt usually goalies got the benefit of it.

Why didn't RTE show the whole game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Don't think there was any fuss about it really, bar the natural roar from the home crowd at the time.

RTÉ have just been going with an hour long show each week, with various 'classics' from different sports. Take out the ads and it's barely 40mins I'd say. TG4 have been going the whole hog.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast