McGrath
    Irwin

McAteer
    Keane
    Hoolahan
    Duff

Keane
    Long

Not really sure about the Shane Long vs Niall Quinn, Long was so unplayable for a period of time, for example during Euro 2016, games against Germany, Scotland, Poland en route. Maybe I was a bit too young for his Quinn's prime...

Shane Duffy vs Richie Dunne is pretty close. Two absolute monsters
    Last edited by elatedscum; 28/03/2020 at 1:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I'd have Shane Duffy ahead of Dicky Dunne...... Duff on the left instead of Kilbane
    I don't think I've seen a post on here that mixes the sublime with the ridiculous as much as that post.

I'm not trying to be offensive - god knows I've taken enough stick for my McGeady fanboy-dom over the years - but really, Duffy over Dunne, you've got to be joking?
    I just cannot get over the love of Shane Duffy.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    John Sheridan. With the Irish senior team for 7 years, played in two World Cups and was one of the most naturally gifted footballers available to us.

34 caps!!
    Agree, he was sensational, very underrated. He was also arguably Sheffield Wednesday's best attacking player back when they were a very good solidly Premier League club.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Alan Kelly and John Sheridan were cracking players. I'd happily have their 27-year old versions in the current squad. I don't remember who said it, but some pundit (only slightly) exaggerated that Sheridan could drop a ball onto a champagne glass from 40 yards and not break the glass! But 30-odd caps each is hardly a sign of being under-rated. If anything, it's a fairly normal number of caps for their time, and what's raised the bar since their playing days is having a much smaller pool to draw from so that 75 caps plus seems normal because we've had to retain players for too long (McGeady, Whelan) or because they were genuinely indispensable for most of their career (Robbie, Duffer, Given).
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Actually, I'm sure there's a flip team out there too - an XI who I can't believe won as many caps as they did!
    Joey LaPeira and his one cap could go in that team. Even though it was only one cap it still felt like one too many.

I'm sure it's a good quiz question, name an international footballer who never played an international game in his "country's" continent. (E.g. Joe never played an international match in Europe).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Joey LaPeira and his one cap could go in that team. Even though it was only one cap it still felt like one too many.

I'm sure it's a good quiz question, name an international footballer who never played an international game in his "country's" continent. (E.g. Joe never played an international match in Europe).
    Found one - Gary Howlett came on as a sub against China in the 1984 Kirin Cup in Japan - his sole cap: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Howlett
    Also, Barry Quinn won three of his four caps in the US Cup in 2000: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Quinn

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Found one - Gary Howlett came on as a sub against China in the 1984 Kirin Cup in Japan - his sole cap: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Howlett
    Also, Barry Quinn won three of his four caps in the US Cup in 2000: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Quinn
    There’d probably be a fair few lads from the 2007 Staunton trip to USA. The fullbacks, the left back from Villa who had a load of injuries and the English born Arsenal right back who went to Yeovil and ended up at Pats or clubs to that effect... (names will come back to me)

Both looked decent against a second string Ecuador side, along with promising youngsters Gleeson and Potter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    There’d probably be a fair few lads from the 2007 Staunton trip to USA. The fullbacks, the left back from Villa who had a load of injuries and the English born Arsenal right back who went to Yeovil and ended up at Pats or clubs to that effect... (names will come back to me)

Both looked decent against a second string Ecuador side, along with promising youngsters Gleeson and Potter
    Stephen O'Halloran and Joe O'Cearuill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I don't think I've seen a post on here that mixes the sublime with the ridiculous as much as that post.

I'm not trying to be offensive - god knows I've taken enough stick for my McGeady fanboy-dom over the years - but really, Duffy over Dunne, you've got to be joking?
    I just cannot get over the love of Shane Duffy.
    Perhaps looking at Dunne through green tinted glasses.

He was prone to a mistake on occasion and didn’t have a whole lot of pace.

Don’t get me wrong, a great player and brilliant servant to Ireland. But I’d choose an in-prime Duffy over an in-prime Dunne

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Perhaps looking at Dunne through green tinted glasses.

He was prone to a mistake on occasion and didn’t have a whole lot of pace.

Don’t get me wrong, a great player and brilliant servant to Ireland. But I’d choose an in-prime Duffy over an in-prime Dunne
    I'm astounded. It's not even close for me, even taking into account my utter dislike of Shane Duffy (the player). I think his "ability" (both defensive and attacking aerial process) is being blown out of proportion based on those around him.
    Duffy wouldn't even be in my top 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I'm astounded. It's not even close for me, even taking into account my utter dislike of Shane Duffy (the player). I think his "ability" (both defensive and attacking aerial process) is being blown out of proportion based on those around him.
    Duffy wouldn't even be in my top 3.
    Well that’s your opinion. And mine is different. I think he’s better on the floor than Dunne also.
    No doubt you disagree, but that’s part of the beauty of football.

I reckon Dunne probably had better positional sense overall though.
    Something he needed to make up for the lack of pace

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I reckon Dunne probably had better positional sense overall though.
    Something he needed to make up for the lack of pace
    I think it was generally accepted that Dunne was much quicker than he appeared. I seem to remember him having a couple of tough days against Henry in that regard, who didn't, but for the most part I think his pace would have been an attribute rather than a deficiency.

https://www.offtheball.com/soccer/to...ve-pace-248737

Quote Originally Posted by Tomasz Radzinski
    "It was one of those games where we thought we might win - and we did get beaten 3-0 so I should have done my homework before that game because Richard Dunne was the central defender and I didn't really know him that well.

"I think he had just started his career in the Premier League so when I went through the offside trap and I was clear with only the goalkeeper in front of me, I thought 'there we go, I'm one v one and it'll be 1-0 to us'.

"Unfortunately, Mr Dunne was way quicker than I expected. He was really so quick that I could not believe it. I had to watch the video back several times to see how is it possible that this lad is so quick.

"Although he was a little bit on the bigger side - I'm not saying chunky or anything like that but he was a little bit on the bigger side - but he was lightning fast which was deceptive for me."
    https://www.the42.ie/harry-redknapp-...22194-Jul2018/

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Redknapp
    “He (Harry Maguire) always reminded me of Richard Dunne, because you wouldn’t look at him and think he’s silky smooth, but he’s so effective.

“I mean, I had Richard Dunne and people used to say, coaches in my dressing room, that would say ‘get it up the side of him, you’ll do him for pace’.

“I’ve gone ‘no, you don’t do Richard Dunne for pace, he’s the quickest thing you’ve ever seen in your life’. Richard Dunne was a flying machine. He was just a great big bloke and people thought he couldn’t’ run, because he looked that way, but he had the pace of sprinter. He was incredible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I think he had pace but his acceleration wasn't great. It took I'm a couple to seconds to get going and up to top speed, which at the top level is often too late.

I remember against Wales he gave the ball away to Bellamy and got absolutely roasted. We were very lucky not to concede
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I remember being told, by a lad who I played with back years and years ago, who was with him at Home Farm that Everton had a 100m sprint time, which Richie Dunne held for about 8 years. And I remember hearing about it again from someone else when it the record was broken.

Obviously it’s not football distance and he wasn’t particularly fast on the turn and maybe he slowed with age, but Richie was definitely faster than he appeared

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I remember against Wales he gave the ball away to Bellamy and got absolutely roasted. We were very lucky not to concede
    Bellamy was electric to be fair. This is Duffy trying to catch some Moldovan lad - https://youtu.be/634SHQzeZ_I?t=103

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I think he had pace but his acceleration wasn't great. It took I'm a couple to seconds to get going and up to top speed, which at the top level is often too late.

Bellamy roasted CBs for a living, that was his thing, not a reason to judge Dunne solely on. I don't remember Dunne failing to keep pace or indeed catch up too often either, if he lacked this acceleration he wouldn't have played so much his career for decent clubs at said top level.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Bellamy was electric to be fair. This is Duffy trying to catch some Moldovan lad - https://youtu.be/634SHQzeZ_I?t=103
    What the hell is Duffy doing wearing number 7??
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    What the hell is Duffy doing wearing number 7??
    Camouflage !

27. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12