Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Stephen Reid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Stephen Reid

Reid glad to be back

Republic of Ireland midfielder Steven Reid returned to the Ireland squad for the first time in over a year for the upcoming clashes with Celtic, Israel and the Faroe Islands and admitted that he hopes is injury problems are behind him.

Since bursting onto the Ireland scene in the run up to the 2002 World Cup finals and earning a late call-up to the squad following an injury to Mark Kennedy, Reid’s career has been interrupted by injury meaning that he has collected just 13 caps in the last four years.

Manager Brian Kerr has always been a fan and included Reid regularly in the early part of his reign before a sustained run of injuries and subsequent loss of form saw him drop down the pecking order for Ireland.

Kerr said: “I’ve been to watch Steven a few times and he’s back fit and playing well in the team. Steven can speak for himself on this, but he made the jump from playing with Millwall to the Premiership when Blackburn were struggling.

“He had injuries and was never really fully fit when he came back and then the new manager came in. I think looking at where Blackburn where, it is surprising how they’ve come on and where the finished this season and since the turn of the year, Steven had done very well for them.”

Reid said: “I think this is as fit as I have been recently. I’m playing with confidence and the team is playing very well. (Blackburn manager) Mark Hughes has given me a lot of confidence.”

Even during his yearlong absence from the Ireland team, Reid never stopped believing that he could force his way back into the side although he does admit that his injuries robbed him of a good chance of staking a claim for a regular place in the side.

“Yes, I think that had I been fit, I could have maybe got a regular place in the side but when out of the squad, I just concentrated on getting in the Blackburn team and playing well. I always thought that if I did that, there was a chance.”
    In Trap we trust

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I know some people don't rate him but when he was at Millwall he was rated similarly to Tim Cahill. A definite possibility for Centre Mid in a year or two.

Maybe something like

Duff S. Reid Whelan A. Reid or

Duff S. Reid A. Reid McGeady

might be our midfield by the Euros in 2008

Looks good to me
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I was a fan of Steven Reid up until he got injured. He was always useful and was getting rave reviews for his clubs but when he made the irish team there was often times that you just wanted him to skin the full back get the cross in and get forward but he always seemed to be lacking in confidence.
    Saying that he has potential, is still relatively young and who knows could be a regular in the side by the time Germany comes around.

Thinking of it we could have a very formidable team if we qualify for the WC in Deutschland next year. It would be a squad with no little skill either with the likes of Duff in his prime, Reid and McGeady matured with a full season of top flight football and the likes of Ian Harte adding some continental flair. Cough.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Reid is a lovely player & a fine athlete too. He needs a run without injury & it'll help if Blackburn avoid a relegation battle. Sometimes the way they play is too primitive for him to shine. He has a potentially big future for us I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom
    the likes of Ian Harte adding some continental flair.

Stop it or I'll die laughing...

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy

Stop it or I'll die laughing...

PP
    its better than having the likes of maybury doherty etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    the likes of Ian Harte adding some continental flair.
    HAHAHAHA - Quote of the YEAR !!

seriously though.. what age is S.Reid ? He looks good but is always done for injuries

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He played right full today, is Finnan a doubt for Israel? If so and Carr is suspended, he could find himself in the starting line up.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

reid

i thought he played well at right full yesterday, hes got a bit of pace about him. with carr missing he may well find himself in the starting eleven, or the bench. hes not bad with free kicks also. it was a good run out for the lads as some were a bit ring rusty.