Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lusk incident

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts

lusk incident

what do people think of the welcome committee in the post office.
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 30/05/2005 at 2:56 PM.

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Two more off the dole queue.
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    The amount of hold ups and robberies as of late is incredibly disturbing. While I do not welcome the the death of anyone in these situations I am glad to see the Gardaí at least are taking some initiative to fight gang crime and received some intelligence on this one. An Taoiseach is correct that we, the public cannot get weak kneed when the Gardaí are trying to crack down on this. It is getting seriously out of hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    You live by the sword, you die by the sword

Fair game.

Lesson learnt? Dont try to steal whats not yours!
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Abbeylara II

Expecting massive fallout from this if it turns out to be what it looks like i.e. the cops paniced and fooked up. Heard claims only one gang member had a gun and never fired it. Although, reports are conflicting at the moment. Hard to know if they were laying in wait or they sprung after them. Also I wouldn't have a problem with the fact they didn't notify many members of the public though. And if the guy with the gun was told to drop the gun and didn't then the cops have to assume that he intends to use it.
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Fair play to the "welcome committee". Two more scumbags less to worry about. If you live by the sword you have to be willing to die by it.
    The truth fears no questions...
    It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I forgot to mention I do welcome an independent inquiry into this as there must always be some accountability on the part of the Gardaí but nothing to the extent that it will stifle the Gardaí in taking necessary action to protect the citizen body.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Magoo, with the greatest respect Cop your self on. This is nothing like the case in Abbeylara.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    What baffles me is why the Guarda allowed the workers in the shop remain there if they knew what was going down. They could have put undercover cops inside instead. Can't blame them for their actions otherwise, if they failed to drop their weapons, they had it coming.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    listen its about time some of them got killed, and the fact that the guards knew about them makes it sound like they had been tracking them for a while i.e. they had done it before....justice served.

im just waiting for macy to say they hadnt been proven guilty by a jury though, so that they may have been innocent.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkey
    Magoo, with the greatest respect Cop your self on. This is nothing like the case in Abbeylara.
    mmm.. seemingly irrational behaviour by the cops in a stand-off situation. Law breakers outnumbered. Yeah it's completely different. Maybe the length of time taken for an independent enquiry will leave some similarity though...
    Last edited by fosterdollar; 27/05/2005 at 3:00 PM.
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea

im just waiting for macy to say they hadnt been proven guilty by a jury though, so that they may have been innocent.
    They clearly weren't innocent but there seems to be an increasing number of operations involving the cops using firepower in law enforcement. I wouldn't like to see a move towards generally arming the Gardai. Having to investigate and clearly publish the results of any such investigation will be paramount if they are to ride this incident through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    [QUOTE=Magoo]mmm.. seemingly irrational behaviour by the cops in a stand-off situation. Law breakers outnumbered. QUOTE]

Are you seriously comparing armed drug dealers robbing a post office with a guy who suffered from depression who threw his mother out of their house?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As i said it's the same when you take the fact that it was an armed stand off into account. If you add in the amount of time cops had while surrounding the house in Abbeylara which compares to the time they had gathering intelligence on the Lusk incident there's another similarity. Regardless of motives, there was the cops on one side and the law breaker on the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magoo
    They clearly weren't innocent but there seems to be an increasing number of operations involving the cops using firepower in law enforcement. I wouldn't like to see a move towards generally arming the Gardai. Having to investigate and clearly publish the results of any such investigation will be paramount if they are to ride this incident through.
    I would hate this too but it is a situation which is being taken advantage of. In a shopping centre in North Dublin criminals entered a travel agents in the middle of the day in front of everyone with sawn off shotguns and smacked the hammers on the tables to intimidate the girls while they got them to open the safe. The girls were so nervous they reset the time lock. These brazen lads then just exited the place in front of a crowd. As if that wasn't audacious enough they came back and robbed it in the night the next day. The amount of armed robberies is out of control. What can we do if people aren't playing fair?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    mmm.. seemingly irrational behaviour by the cops in a stand-off situation. Law breakers outnumbered. Yeah it's completely different. Maybe the length of time taken for an independent enquiry will leave some similarity though...
    I'm sure you know what actually happened in Abbeylara, and understand the curcumstances....well on reflection, you obviously don't. There is no way these incidents can be compared and out of compassion for the family (Carthy) involved, should they be.

John Carthy was a disturbed young man...the eru got it badly wrong.

The two armed robbers were preparing to inflict harm on innocent people, maybe even kill to rob money), why else would they have guns?? They refused to put down their weapons...as far as the ERU were concerned they could have been shot at and killed at any time so in my opinion, deserved what they got.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    I would hate this too but it is a situation which is being taken advantage of. In a shopping centre in North Dublin criminals entered a travel agents in the middle of the day in front of everyone with sawn off shotguns and smacked the hammers on the tables to intimidate the girls while they got them to open the safe. The girls were so nervous they reset the time lock. These brazen lads then just exited the place in front of a crowd. As if that wasn't audacious enough they came back and robbed it in the night the next day. The amount of armed robberies is out of control. What can we do if people aren't playing fair?
    I accept that PS, but where would armed Gardai have affected that situation? WTF if they did arrive and there was a shoot out in such a public place. Increased intelligence on amred gangs leaving them with no options is they way to deal with them. Upping the ante will leave them thinking that they have a 'fighting chance' of getting out of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I accept that PS, but where would armed Gardai have affected that situation? WTF if they did arrive and there was a shoot out in such a public place. Increased intelligence on amred gangs leaving them with no options is they way to deal with them. Upping the ante will leave them thinking that they have a 'fighting chance' of getting out of the situation.
    Sorry Magoo I am just taking an example of things getting hand. I don't know the solution to be honest. I hope to God there won't be an escalating arms race or anything of those sorts. Having been to the US and seen the utility belt on a cop and the array or armaments he possessed at his disposal it is disconcerting and I would hate to see armed patrol Gardaí but how do we go about keeping armed robberies in check? What does intelligence alone do? It requires action of some sort. You do have to go and aprehend them. You're never going to block all their options and force them into stagnation.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap
    The two armed robbers were preparing to inflict harm on innocent people, maybe even kill to rob money), why else would they have guns?? They refused to put down their weapons...as far as the ERU were concerned they could have been shot at and killed at any time so in my opinion, deserved what they got.
    Under no circumstances is it the case that "as far as the ERU were concerned they could have been shot at and killed at any time".
    If you want to go down the road of how the armed stand-off came about and the mental state of the parties involved then that's separate to comments i made. Fact was, the Gardai had a armed situation on their hands and had the responsibility of ending it in the most reasonable way. I don't have enough information to comment on whether they did or not (nor do you, unless you are privileged to some facts the rest of us aren't). In terms of the adequacy of the Gardai's responce to an armed situation these incidents are comparable IMO. They will both be seen to spark debate on the issuing of weapons of defence, of procedure and PR within and outside the force.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    It requires action of some sort. You do have to go and aprehend them. You're never going to block all their options and force them into stagnation.
    The Gardai have armed divisions (detectives, the ERU, etc.) which can deal with the apprehension side of things. Leaving the average Garda on the street with the option, and the decision making that comes with it, to use a firearm in dissolving such situations would have worrying consequences IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast