• No

15 50.00%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Yeah the gf works in medical trials and her opinion is that the tests coming up as positive for C-19 from last year are just false positives. They do happen, and as others have said, the figures for infections and deaths we see are entirely consistent with the virus arriving in Europe in March time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Zero deaths yesterday, for the first time since March.
    It's a real milestone. Would be good to see less than 50 new cases in one day as well, the numbers have been around 55-70 for a few days, with a spike of 115 on one day last week.
    Still haven't seen the impact of the first round of restrictions being lifted, that should be later this week.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    I think I must be living in your future. With just about 6 confirmed cases in total in May so far, pretty much all is open in Iceland now with the last of the key restrictions now lifted, 2m gone, pubs and gyms open, but the big event was the opening of the swimming pools, long queues outside each pool before midnight on Monday, thousands went for a dip from betweeen midnight to 6am. The pools staying open all night was just a one off event.

Still, football doesn't begin untin June 5th as per schedule with a league cup competition as a forerunner to the league proper. As it stands now only 200 can attend an event but I'd expect that to be lifted for the football in June..

The chief epidemiologist said that the severity of symptoms with confirmed cases had been gradually diminishing since feb 28, as if the virus was not as aggressive. Maybe a virus also has a lifespan, just runs its course, peaks and then retreats naturally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The chief epidemiologist said that the severity of symptoms with confirmed cases had been gradually diminishing since feb 28, as if the virus was not as aggressive. Maybe a virus also has a lifespan, just runs its course, peaks and then retreats naturally.
    There is a rule of thumb that viruses tend to get less life threatening with time because the mutations that kill you slower spread better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    There is a rule of thumb that viruses tend to get less life threatening with time because the mutations that kill you slower spread better.
    Which is why our lives have been affected so much more by the rona than they were by ebola. I was reading about the Spanish 'flu a while back, and one of the many theories about why it was so deadly was along these lines.

In normal times, you get sick with the 'flu. The sicker you are, the more likely you are to stay at home or be bedridden, and the less likely you are to go out and infect people. In WW1, the sicker you were, the more likely you were to be evacuated from the front line on a crowded troop train to a hospital with thousands of others, so there was actually a positive selection pressure on the more aggressive traits of the virus during those times that wouldn't generally be seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Infection numbers are starting to climb again, just when deaths are starting to drop to almost zero.
    Possibly because it's two weeks since the first round of restrictions were lifted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Infection numbers are starting to climb again, just when deaths are starting to drop to almost zero.
    Possibly because it's two weeks since the first round of restrictions were lifted.
    a lot of people, younger people especially, have stopped caring.
    saw a very large group of older teenagers being broken up by the gardai yesterday. they simply dispersed temporarily and met up again close by a short time later. it was all just a joke to them and the gardai turning up simply added to the occasion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    499 Posts
    America is going to suffer. They need to protest or their country is going to fall apart, but many people are going to get sick and some are going to die as a result.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    The men's football league started this weekend in Iceland, almost every game was a sellout, from 1,200 to 2,200 in attendance, no space restrictions.

There was a strange occurrence over the weekend with a group of 6 from an EU country being allowed in at the airport. they were supposed to enter a 14 days quarantine but didn't, 3 were caught shoplifting. The three were tested and 2 were found to be positive with the virus. What followed was a time consuming pedantic tracing investigation which ended with some police and others having to enter quarantine. Things like that pee me off, not that I think there will be another virus outbreak outcome but just the ignorant abuse of trust which consumes resources and adds an element of mistrust to something which had been going very smoothly and under control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    There was a strange occurrence over the weekend with a group of 6 from an EU country being allowed in at the airport. they were supposed to enter a 14 days quarantine but didn't, 3 were caught shoplifting. The three were tested and 2 were found to be positive with the virus. What followed was a time consuming pedantic tracing investigation which ended with some police and others having to enter quarantine. Things like that pee me off, not that I think there will be another virus outbreak outcome but just the ignorant abuse of trust which consumes resources and adds an element of mistrust to something which had been going very smoothly and under control.
    Who flies to another country to shoplift? Congrats to them for ensuring they never get a visa anywhere again.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Who flies to another country to shoplift? Congrats to them for ensuring they never get a visa anywhere again.
    I'd hazard a guess that once they saw the price of things here, the desire came upon them.

Out of interest, about 1,000 passengers arrived at the airport yesterday, seeing as it's a no cost test for now, all wisely chose to be tested there and then rather than quarantine, just 2 were confirmed positive with the virus.
    I read a BBC report that Ross County purchased their own 20 minutes covid tester for Gbp 35,000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    Infection numbers will climb, but most of those people will make, or have already made, a full recovery.

The restrictions were originally introduced to protect the health service. As the Irish health service is well able to accommodate the current figures, it's time to question if the current restrictions are absolutely necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Tracker app released earlier today: https://covidtracker.gov.ie/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    I had to laugh at the Healy-Ray quip he made to know-it-all Varadkar, (drawn out Kerry accent obligatory) "Tis fairly foolish to think that the virus can know whether you're eating with your pint or not." and "there's an awful difference between Dame Lane and Ballinskelligs".

The nunber of border tests in Iceland is at 2,200 per day, now costs about 60 Eur which includes a follow up test after 4 or 5 days.
    July so far at the border - 9 active infections confirmed. 50 were detected with just some amount of antibodies, then there is some other test to determine if quarantine is required, mostly not. Everything else is normal, except touriists are scarce (good and bad) puffin shops are empty (that's good), aluminum prices very low and export fresh fish sales slumped. This hit to the economy is huge compared to the puny banking/currency crash of 2008, yet there is nowhere near that same overwhelming blanket of dread and pervading pessimism that was about post 2008 crash..

The football league has proceded as normal but not without hiccups. A returning female player from USA in early June, tested negative at first, then tested positive a week later (asymptomatic) after she had played a league game ---- and 'partied a bit' (her words).
    The net result was that her team, the opposition team, the officials all went into quarantine and the club building got a good cleaning. Two league games were postponed for each team. And the idea of retesting all arrivals into the country after 4 or 5 days now became the norm.
    No contagion was detected but the disruption had a high nuisance value and more especially when it's just a semi-pro league.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I wonder how close we are to another national lockdown.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    At the moment a good distance away. A national lockdown is only likely if hospital and ICU numbers surge, and so far that's not the case. Sadly a lot of very vulnerable elderly people died in the first wave, and over summer time less people die in general (less respiratory illness around in general), coming into the winter, with seasonal flu also circulating, there might be a spike but a national lockdown has to be a last resort. The pubs have been put back again, and the evidence seems to be that anywhere they reopen there's an associated surge. Of course the other main difference to the first surge is that we're now all very aware of how easily this spreads, the vulnerable are taking extra precautions, and most reasonable people are using face coverings, maintaining hand hygiene routines and limiting their social contacts.

Golfgate and the like do huge damage though, there's already a restless public, sick of the restrictions and to see such senior public figures acting as though they're above the need to follow them is a big blow to morale. Not only that, but it's a ready made excuse for those who were already taking liberties to push it further. Pretty sick of hearing people justify themselves completely disregarding the regulations because; "sure I haven't seen them in ages", "sure nobody is following the local lockdown", "sure the guards aren't enforcing it", "sure I know who I've been in contact with and there's no way I have it so why should I not go there", "sure it's only in the factories and the direct provision centres, stop being weird and following all these guidelines, just come to the party anyway".

Now I understand some of the "you can't live in fear stuff", but at the same time, it's not asking a lot to throw on a face covering in a shop, or step a bit wider passing someone in the street, or to just stand back a few feet when having a conversation. The gradual creep up of community transmission is largely down to people just abandoning the simple precautions, and it doesn't take a whole lot to go from creep to exponential growth again.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    499 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Ask again in 2 weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Ask again in 2 weeks.
    I assume you mean with the schools going back? I'd guess 3-4 weeks, but yeah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    499 Posts
    C19 quarantines are 2 weeks for a reason, that's around the maximum incubation period, that's why we watch for numbers after 2 weeks.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Well, it'll take longer than two weeks for a pattern to emerge though. In two weeks, we'll know how many cases emerged from the first day of school. But it'll take a couple of weeks longer to see how quickly the virus spreads through schools and to make a decision on whether or not to leave them open.

24. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast