15 50.00%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well their diagnosed cases have levelled off at around the 5k/day mark. But that's with full lockdown.

What's the next step?
    Now we wait for the scientists to come up with something and hope this bug doesn't like sunshine.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's way too early to hang your hat on a pattern, there's still a steady rise in numbers of total confirmed cases, as opposed to the recovery rate.

In Ireland the Dep of Health stopped releasing figures for the overall number of tests done from the 24th March onward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    I'm finding this all very hard today. I never thought I'd ever say this, but i can't wait to get up some morning and drive into the office. I think I'll even be able to enjoy the traffic.

Things were going quite well this morning (considering the situation). You guys don't know this about me, but I'm a landlord (Don't hiss and boo, I'm one of the decent ones). One of my tenants has lost his job. They are an immigrant family, and his wife doesn't work, so for now they have nothing coming in. Another tenant has been furloughed under the 80% scheme they have running up here. So i spoke to the agent this morning, and he's going to see what tenant #1 can pay, but ultimately i think i'll have to take this one on the chin. I can't get blood out of a stone, and they are good tenants so i don't want to lose them. I spoke to tenant #2 myself on the phone and explained I was temporarily cutting her rent to give her a bit of slack and literally had her crying down the phone saying thank you.

But the daughters school have been dreadful today. The teacher who ordinarily takes her year is off on maternity leave, but has decided to come back. We were told shortly after 2pm today that that will be happening on Monday morning, and the teacher who has been taking the class since September is out the door. It just feels like insanity in the midst of all this. So we had to break the news to her this evening. She was upset, but from the WhatsApp group the parents have some kids took it a lot worse than she did.

And in the middle of all this I'm trying to do a day job, and we've had to cancel the holiday we had planned for the summer.

It feels like the whole thing is being held together by duct tape, fingernails and a level of good luck that probably isn't going to sustain itself. It's mentally and emotionally draining, and a month in we're still closer to the start than the end. As I sit here typing this i'm exhausted. I should probably go to bed, and i will shortly, but if i didn't find a way to scream this out into the void I don't think i would have slept.

2020 feels like a dead loss already.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I'm finding this all very hard today. I never thought I'd ever say this, but i can't wait to get up some morning and drive into the office. I think I'll even be able to enjoy the traffic.

Things were going quite well this morning (considering the situation). You guys don't know this about me, but I'm a landlord (Don't hiss and boo, I'm one of the decent ones). One of my tenants has lost his job. They are an immigrant family, and his wife doesn't work, so for now they have nothing coming in. Another tenant has been furloughed under the 80% scheme they have running up here. So i spoke to the agent this morning, and he's going to see what tenant #1 can pay, but ultimately i think i'll have to take this one on the chin. I can't get blood out of a stone, and they are good tenants so i don't want to lose them. I spoke to tenant #2 myself on the phone and explained I was temporarily cutting her rent to give her a bit of slack and literally had her crying down the phone saying thank you.

But the daughters school have been dreadful today. The teacher who ordinarily takes her year is off on maternity leave, but has decided to come back. We were told shortly after 2pm today that that will be happening on Monday morning, and the teacher who has been taking the class since September is out the door. It just feels like insanity in the midst of all this. So we had to break the news to her this evening. She was upset, but from the WhatsApp group the parents have some kids took it a lot worse than she did.

And in the middle of all this I'm trying to do a day job, and we've had to cancel the holiday we had planned for the summer.

It feels like the whole thing is being held together by duct tape, fingernails and a level of good luck that probably isn't going to sustain itself. It's mentally and emotionally draining, and a month in we're still closer to the start than the end. As I sit here typing this i'm exhausted. I should probably go to bed, and i will shortly, but if i didn't find a way to scream this out into the void I don't think i would have slept.

2020 feels like a dead loss already.
    I imagine the majority of people are in the same boat on this. We are having to react to prolonged confinement for the first time in our lives and the denial of choices we have always enjoyed. The longer this goes on the tougher it gets and it will take more of a mental toll on society. The only thing we can take out if all this is to try and not take the freedom we enjoy in normal times for granted anymore.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I imagine the majority of people are in the same boat on this. We are having to react to prolonged confinement for the first time in our lives and the denial of choices we have always enjoyed. The longer this goes on the tougher it gets and it will take more of a mental toll on society. The only thing we can take out if all this is to try and not take the freedom we enjoy in normal times for granted anymore.
    Oh yeah. This is a mental health time bomb.

I assume rates of PTSD among doctors and nurses are going to be awful

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    So true. I’m usually self-contained and quite like solitude. (Years back, when I was finishing my PhD, I rolled back my office chair at home and realised I hadn’t set foot outside for 21 days. I just shrugged and carried on…) This is tougher. I've work to do and no focus or interest in doing it. Writer’s block is the polite term, but it’s pure stress.

It’s stress because Mrs Grise has her first shift today on a ward where every patient has Covid-19. She’s nursed through swine flu and avian flu; once nursed a convicted rapist so dangerous there was always a guard present and nurses went in in twos with strict orders not to speak to him; had a needle stick injury recently that was a worry for a while, but this is the first time I’ve ever felt petrified for her safety. And she’s so calm about it - she says it’s a privilege to be able to nurse through this. It's just overwhelming.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Your wife sounds like a pretty badass lady, EG. Best of luck to her.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    She puts up with me. Nuff said, John!

Coincidentally it's out tenth wedding anniversary tomorrow. Me doing her a packed lunch is not quite what we'd planned for it. Fingers crossed we'll all soon be out of this well and sane and back to normal.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    So true. I’m usually self-contained and quite like solitude. (Years back, when I was finishing my PhD, I rolled back my office chair at home and realised I hadn’t set foot outside for 21 days. I just shrugged and carried on…) This is tougher. I've work to do and no focus or interest in doing it. Writer’s block is the polite term, but it’s pure stress.

It’s stress because Mrs Grise has her first shift today on a ward where every patient has Covid-19. She’s nursed through swine flu and avian flu; once nursed a convicted rapist so dangerous there was always a guard present and nurses went in in twos with strict orders not to speak to him; had a needle stick injury recently that was a worry for a while, but this is the first time I’ve ever felt petrified for her safety. And she’s so calm about it - she says it’s a privilege to be able to nurse through this. It's just overwhelming.
    Sometimes the thanks button really doesn't get the job done

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    But a post like that always does. Much appreciated on Mrs Grise's behalf.
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    How is everybody holding up?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    All a bit stir crazy, but holding up ok. Both kids get material from school, so that put some kind of routine in place - we suffered a bit without that material during the Easter holidays.

I was sleeping badly due to just not being tired at the end of a day of no physical exercise, so I've started doing loops of a road within 2km of home. Adds up to about 24km each day, so I'm up to about 160km over the last 2 weeks.

I've never played as much online chess in my life as the past month.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Funny, I've been playing online chess too, but just too lazy to properly study it, which is the way to improve (as opposed to pass time)

I find I'd rather not do something and have something to do, than do it and have nothing to do. If that makes sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I've been the same - good days and bad. Been working from home since Friday, 13th March. Took about two weeks to get used to being in work, but not being in the office. I found the four day weekend over Easter tough - think I missed the structure of work! Also, Varadkar's three week extension to the lockdown was a bit of a shock.
    I improved over the last week, forcing myself to get out and go for a walk every day, so I think I'll be ok for the next two weeks. Been watching how the lifting of restrictions in Austria and Denmark are going for some clues on how things might go here after the May bank holiday. It'll be nice just to be able to see and talk to other people!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Up and down myself with whole thing. The structure of working & everyday life seem mundane normally but when they are gone your realise how vital they are to your wellbeing. Without work and a game on Friday to keep occupied is challenging. I find taking breaks now and then from the news helps & I don’t do social media.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    It's a strange one, I've said a few times that I think this is my ideal way of living and I've only been half joking. I missed the work routine a little in the early stages but I've got used to working from home. I'm a very solitary person at the best of times, never really went to the pub, moved away from home at 20 so well used to only communicating with parents on the phone etc. Still see my wife every day and get to spend more time with the dog and cats. Can still go for a walk, run or cycle, etc. Routine hasn't really changed all that much outside not going into work. In many ways it's made me more sociable in terms of being more in contact with friends on what's app etc.

I appreciate it's a lot harder for others, wife included, her job can't really be done from home and they were in the middle of a critical project as this kicked off, so she was actually in something like 20 days in a row. She speaks to her parents, brothers and sisters every day and would be used to seeing them all most weeks, especially her younger nieces and nephews. We're only around the corner from her parents, so when we're walking the dog we stand in the garden for a chat most evenings. Their road has also started a nightly sing song, where people gather on the road at a safe distance and contribute, songs, jokes and poetry, it's a nice touch and it's brought people together in a different sort of way too.

If it stretched on a lot longer I think I'd start to find it more difficult, particularly if any loved ones were ill, but so far been lucky on that front.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    I'm working from home since 13th March. To keep a certain routine, I'm more or less treating my day as if I would go to work - get up at the same time, turn my laptop on and off around the same time when I would usually get into work/go home, etc. It's not the same, but it creates some kind of structure in daily life at least.

Not being able to meet people who aren't living in the same household isn't great when you're in a single person household. That's what I'm missing most. Usually, I'm quite content on my own, but this is a bit too much solitude. At least, there's phones, Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp etc.

As I'm not from here and all my relatives are in my home country, I currently have no idea when I will be able to see them face to face again. I guess I won't go there until quarantine on arrival restrictions have been lifted, and who knows when that will be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I've never realised how much I enjoy watching old footage of Chris Benoit.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Being a highly responsible citizen I went for my pre booked test this morning at the deCode genetic facility. I suspect that when I offered the honest answer that I had a bit of an usual dry cough 2 weeks ago, for 10 seconds 3 days in a row, my test was put on a fast track and I received the result same day by sms at 5pm instead of the usual 2 days.
    It simply read,
    'You do not have the COVID-19 disease'.
    but just when you think "that's cool", they give you the following disclaimer to keep any lingering Woody Allen hypochrondria at full alert,
    'This finding does not preclude you from getting the disease later. If you later become ill with flu-like symptoms, fever, bone pain and cough, you need to evaluate if a new sample is needed.

Iceland managed to reach the highest rate of confirmed infections in the world per population. Altogether 1770 cases in a population of 365,000, fortunately the much mentioned curve has been on the downward part of a V slope for 2 weeks, hitting a new rock bottom yesterday with only 2 confirmed cases from 400 tests. That means there's very few in the untested general population who are carrrying the virus.
    Therefore it does looks promising for football league competitions to proceed as planned on June 6th, if the LOI is still in handbrake mode my local team could do with a loan of Jack Byrne, i.e. if he can handle the upward adjustment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I've never realised how much I enjoy watching old footage of Chris Benoit.
    Great wrestler, horrible human.

28. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast