15 50.00%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    This is very encouraging: https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status...86845797044224

That's not to say it's not going to get very grim, but we are responding well to date. Also I saw information yesterday that our testing rate per head of population is up there with Germany and South Korea. We may not be perfect, but we are doing well.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Isolation Diary: Day God Knows.

Jaysus but this is grim.

We never got for a drive on Saturday. The eldest kid wasn't fussed and it hardly seemed worth dragging her out against her will. The wall in the back garden did get painted though. Move on to the downstairs toilet now. There is little else to do.

We get out on Thursday and it can't come soon enough, but it seems like we'll be emerging back into a very different world. You get cut off form the world very quickly when you're isolating. It's easy to keep up with the big events in Dublin and London, but you have no idea what's going on at the end of the road.

I hear there's a shortage of booze though. Joy.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Further restrictions to come into effect from tonight.

What do people think - are we coping well enough so far, or not doing enough?

Govt talks about following the S. Korea modeal but one thing we are way behind on is testing - they tested like crazy right from the start, and identified carriers much much earlier than we have.

Hopefully these further restrictions will firstly, restrict the impact of the 'unaware positive' carriers of the virus, and secondly, while movements are restricted, more carriers will become aware they have it and self-isolate.
    I think we're doing ok, but the question remains as to what the end point of all this is.

We can't keep pootering along at 2/300 cases a day - it'll take decades to get everyone infected.

If we reduce it to nil here, it'll just come back because (a) how can you be sure you've caught even the asymptomatic carriers and (b) what happens to foreign travel?

Are we stuck in isolation until a vaccine is found?

And what happens to wet markets and bush meat when all this is over? Cos if China keeps its wet markets or if African bush meat continues to be ate, then something similar is going to appear before the end of the decade and we'll be back at square one.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post

Jaysus but this is grim.

We never got for a drive on Saturday. The eldest kid wasn't fussed and it hardly seemed worth dragging her out against her will. The wall in the back garden did get painted though. Move on to the downstairs toilet now. There is little else to do.

We get out on Thursday and it can't come soon enough, but it seems like we'll be emerging back into a very different world. You get cut off form the world very quickly when you're isolating. It's easy to keep up with the big events in Dublin and London, but you have no idea what's going on at the end of the road.

I'm just glad to see you post again to be honest, iffy time to drop off radar there ...

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I've often been critical of his style over substance approach, but I thought Varadkar's address on RTE tonight was top notch. Calm, clear and reassuring while not downplaying how bad things will get. He addressed concerns, talked to the right audiences, sounded like he was in control...

A couple of people said to me today how noticeable it was that SF had disappeared over the last week - it's almost as if they don't want to get into government right now.
    I can understand it is bit of a poisoned chalice to take on, keep you head down and let the others take the blame, then with hindsight explain how you would have down better.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Jaysus but this is grim.

I think like in here in the UK they are only really testing folk who are already reporting to be pretty ill, it is a bit
    late then of course as far as the spread of the virus goes, they have likely already done their spreading.

The testing needs to be on those who appear healthy as you are gonna avoid anyone coughing anyway.

However that would mean daily testing of everyone, which whilst impractical would be a good solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I'm just glad to see you post again to be honest, iffy time to drop off radar there ...
    Ahh. Sorry about that. Can see how that might have had people wondering.

All up and about again this morning with no issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Only seen this wikipedia article this afternoon: 2020 Corona virus pandemic in Ireland
    There's one for every country affected, e.g. Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, etc
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

10. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Just found the info I referred to above on testing levels in Ireland: https://twitter.com/Care2much18/stat...91023729340421
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan
    What do people think - are we coping well enough so far, or not doing enough?
    All good here so far, and agree with the ramped-up procedures. My only concern is that the idiots will make it worse for the rest of us, resulting in closures of woods and beaches, or silly queueing procedures being needed at supermarkets because people simply can't keep out of other people's space.

Went to a woods the other day and they were all parked on top of each other, despite there being other entrances. The woods itself was grand, and everyone passed at opposite side of the tracks as if we'd always been doing it. But similarly, in Lidl yesterday, they were all parked on top of each other, despite vast empty tracts of spaces. I will never understand the Irish obsession with parking close to the door, even if the sun is cracking the stones.

Tweeted at Leo earlier asking him to suspend NCT testing, like the Brits, crazy that they expect people to visit twice when we're supposed to be distancing, just because they didn't set up procedures for handling problems like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Are we stuck in isolation until a vaccine is found?
    When the numbers start going down, you crack the door and allow people out a bit more, some categories back to work, etc, and you watch the numbers. If they go up, you close it a little again. Gradually, it should result in most of us getting back to normal, but of course the at-risk categories will have it tough. It's a slow process, but we'll get there.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 25/03/2020 at 4:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post

When the numbers start going down, you crack the door and allow people out a bit more, some categories back to work, etc, and you watch the numbers. If they go up, you close it a little again. Gradually, it should result in most of us getting back to normal, but of course the at-risk categories will have it tough. It's a slow process, but we'll get there.
    An acquaintance of mine is a researcher in QUB. His project has been put on the back burner and he's working from home, but according to him his colleagues in virology are working harder and quicker than ever before. Everyone who can work in this this is on it, and those who can't offer anything have been sent home. It's effectively the scientific version of wartime production. He believes something will be found well ahead of the suggested time frame, perhaps getting effective vaccines and/or treatments into the field by the autumn.

If this thins is seasonal as everyone hopes, we might get away with this only being bad (as opposed to catastrophic).

But we have to get through to that. In the meantime social distancing etc is what we have. A week of unseasonably warm weather over Europe wouldn't do any harm at all. I'd guess the Italians and Spanish will give us an answer before anyone else on that score.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post

The testing needs to be on those who appear healthy as you are gonna avoid anyone coughing anyway.

However that would mean daily testing of everyone, which whilst impractical would be a good solution.
    This would also help in terms of getting a more accurate idea of the death rate. At the moment a lot of countries are only testing when a patient is in a critical (or serious) condition. Essentially only testing patients who are at death's door is likely to inflate the perceived death rate.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    So Boris has it - got initial symptoms on Wednesday.

How much of Westminster has he potentially taken out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    So Boris has it - got initial symptoms on Wednesday.

How much of Westminster has he potentially taken out?
    Best of luck contact tracing him anyway.

"I shook hands with everybody"

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Further restrictions as of tonight. Only essesntial travel - to and from work which can not be done from home, and to get essentials like food and medicine. Exercise limited to 'brief' periods no farther than 2km from home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Varadkar did extremely well again last night. He's holding up really well.

I think what this crisis is proving is that the country is lucky enough to have 2 potential leaders, offering the people contrasting visions of the future.

I can understand why the left have coalesced around Sinn Féin. How the right haven't done the same around Fine Gael is beyond me. Neither Me-Hole Martin nor anyone else they have in Fianna Fail is within a million miles of Leo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Varadkar did extremely well again last night. He's holding up really well.
    What did he do well? Read a script and is doing what the hse tell him to do - its hardly rocket science to be fair.

Simon Harris - a liability during the general election and had to be hid from general view is now heralded as modern day Saint. I don't get it at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Varadkar is clearing the extremely low bar set by Johnson and Trump*, and is staying in the background until he needs to address the country.
    The best thing he's done is put Dr Holohan front and centre and let him speak to the nation about what we're doing, its successes, and failures, and what we're going to do next.

*Only mentioning those two because they're the two leaders we see on TV more than any other. From what I understand, Germany and South Korea have had the best response to the pandemic
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Varadkar is clearing the extremely low bar set by Johnson and Trump*, and is staying in the background until he needs to address the country.
    The best thing he's done is put Dr Holohan front and centre and let him speak to the nation about what we're doing, its successes, and failures, and what we're going to do next.

*Only mentioning those two because they're the two leaders we see on TV more than any other. From what I understand, Germany and South Korea have had the best response to the pandemic
    The German trademark organisation and efficiency can put to use for anything when they put their minds to it , world domination, defeating the Coronavirus they are a multitalented bunch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    What did he do well? Read a script and is doing what the hse tell him to do - its hardly rocket science to be fair.

Simon Harris - a liability during the general election and had to be hid from general view is now heralded as modern day Saint. I don't get it at all.
    Sometimes just communicating clearly and calmly is enough. That is all we need from them now.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast