Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Games 28/29 Feb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Substitute the word Byrne for McEleney
    Not doubting Byrne's obvious ability, it's just very over the top and constant.

McEleney is a class act on his day at this level but unfortunately he's no use to Dundalk if he's injured for more games than he plays. Only 27 but might be time to let him go back to Derry when his contract is up.

Perth's recruitment since coming in as manager has to be seriously questioned. Maybe he'll blame Burton for part of that but it'll come back to bite Dundalk as Kenny's team slowly but surely finish up. Gannon looks to be carrying a knock too but no back up for him despite the squad being 'the best it's ever been'.

The Patching one is particularly weird, considering Perth was building him up as potentially another Jack Byrne and all this ex Man City nonsense. Notts County were glad to see the back of him for being "lazy". Can see why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    McEleney has never shown his ability against a good side. Even when he scored the winner in the cup final he had an overall poor game.

Shields is dominant against good teams at least on my experience. McEleney is a ghost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    The attendance for our next home match against harps will be interesting,
    5000 against cork in shocking weather was very good but you'd expect a big crowd for the first home game .
    7500 against dundalk, excellent.
    Against harps in 2 weeks will we be back to our core 3000 or will some of the 6700 rovers fans last night (dundalk brought 800 away) come back for more.
    Think DFC had more than that sbgawa, I asked on another thread, heard it was 1k to 1.2k if you add in decent neutrals (plenty on my luas out), I would think 6k Rovers fans tops last night? Still some support, don't get me wrong.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    McEleney has never shown his ability against a good side. Even when he scored the winner in the cup final he had an overall poor game.

Shields is dominant against good teams at least on my experience. McEleney is a ghost.

This is common line from Cork fans, and he has gone missing against Cork in some big games, but that's a ridiculous thing to say about the cup final, he lost his marker, ran fair distance and as you said scored the winner, but its his overall strength that sometimes goes unnoticed, for the 2018 cup final, I will say one thing, he was def not the MOTM, that should have gone to Benson.

His presence was certainly missed last night, Shields wasn't great, and def lost Lopes for his goal, but McEleney and his hold up play would have made a difference in my view, for the league clincher last Sept, it was his strength that held off two Rovers players for Duffy's wonder goal.

As much as it was hard to take being 2-1 up away, Rovers deserved to win last night, the winner was coming, and this was all on the MF dominance second half, Dundalk will need to do better in the remaining 3 games and win 2 in my view, Rovers didn't beat Dundalk in any league game last year (lost 3), they now have 1/1, the bar has been risen, this is going to be one tight outcome.

Fogra, great to see the Flores goal shown on Late Late show last night, just watched play back on the Niall Quinn interview, this was a brilliant game last night, we need all the PR we get in LOI.
    Last edited by oriel; 29/02/2020 at 8:10 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    is Flores a local lad? some hit from him.
    Jordan Flores is from Wigan, played for them for a few seasons. Also scored for Blackpool v Wigan or vice versa in a L1/L2 play off final in Wembley 2016 or 2017. Was involved in a car crash at some point after this, ruthless stuff by English clubs, released. He was ok last season but had a good bit out injured, could be a very big player this season.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

He's won a certain penalty in a cup final in turners cross. Probably missed that one.
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    About Flores' goal ... what a goal. Over 20 years following LOI since the Sports Stadium saturday highlight packlages, but I can't think of seeing a better LOI goal. It might be one of the best bits of publicity ever LOI wise, especially with the power of twitter etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Has to be the first ever LOI goal to be shown on the late late show !!!!

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Players in the Rovers II/Galway game today treated for hypothermia ,which begs the question about who is looking after player welfare??
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Players in the Rovers II/Galway game today treated for hypothermia ,which begs the question about who is looking after player welfare??
    Too cold to beat the school kids.
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Mixed sort of game at the Brandywell.

Derry were set up more defensively than against Harps, and it made a positive impact. Much better controlled in midfield, and it limited Bohs chances. Unfortunately, it also limited our own, and led to a fairly dull first half.
    Second half was a better spectacle. Derry started playing a bit higher up the pitch and the game opened up.
    Keith Ward seemed to score around the hour mark. The ball was cleared by Lupano, but plenty of City fans seemed to think it was over the line. Ward definitely did, and wheeled off in celebration. TV footage doesn't really give much indication, but seems like a let off.
    Stephen Mallon's goal for us was brilliant. Real individual effort. We fairly controlled the game after that, but the second was probably a bit unfair on Bohs. Good finish from Figueira for it.

Less impressed with Bohs compared to last season now.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    I've added the Titanic song to the Flores goal here.

https://twitter.com/Patrickccfc84/st...877815813?s=19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Every time I see that goal in future it's going to bring back happy memories.
    Makes a lie of the old saying about "you can't please all of the people all of the time". ��

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    ****e teams, ref, weather and pitch at us vs Shels. It's good to be back.

Silver lining is how much Dundalk fans continue to fret over Byrne. Needless to say I'm about as far as you can get from a Rovers fan but it's still gas to see.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Jordan Flores is from Wigan, played for them for a few seasons. Also scored for Blackpool v Wigan or vice versa in a L1/L2 play off final in Wembley 2016 or 2017. Was involved in a car crash at some point after this, ruthless stuff by English clubs, released. He was ok last season but had a good bit out injured, could be a very big player this season.
    Cheers Oriel in hindsight I saw an interview with Jack Byrne where he was singing Flores praises as they played together at Wigan.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Silver lining is how much Dundalk fans continue to fret over Byrne.
    It's more about mocking the hyperbole and hysteria that surrounds a fairly ordinary performance.

Any fretting is reserved for the space Chris Shields allowed Lopes and then Byrne for the 2nd and 3rd goals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Nicely balanced objective post...down with that sort of thing you need get with the programme !!!

I think most DFC fans will admit we were beaten by the better side in the end, given the Rovers MF performance in the second half, but it was close. I don't have the JB obsession thing, I just think he's a quality player and to be fair from all the talk about Flores goal of the season (which it prob will be), JB finish to win the game, while side stepping Shields was a great strike.

Its a double edged sword though, his performances will not have gone unnoticed with the championship clubs in England, so he (and Burke) could well be back over the water in July.

This is going to be a very tight league in terms of who wins it, and possibly the first time since 2014 that it might go down to the last weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    The nutty schedule helps us a bit with jack Byrne. Without postponements we will have 28 league games finished by the end of July when I am resigned to losing him. Can't see Burke going back for a 3rd time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Did you see McEleney V Bate 2016 and the Rosenborg game in 2017 in Oriel he was the best player on pitch by a mile.

He was excellent last season in the 3-1 win over Rovers who are a top team.

2 teams of a better standard than this league has so what your saying is nonsense.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Flores goal shown on MOTD 2 as part of that '2 good 2 bad' segment.

It was along the lines of this: 'we saw some special moments this week from (insert epl clip here) and (insert epl clip here) but the moment of the weekend goes to Jordan Flores for his goal for Dundalk against Shamrock Rovers.'

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast