Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Games 28/29 Feb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...o-hypothermia/

Not being smart but sounds like they are a bit soft, never heard of this in the old winter season years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    To be fair if they were vomiting and one of the Rovers players was admitted to hospital it must have been beyond the ordinary.
    The wind coming off the Dublin mountains can make Tallaght unbelievable cold.
    Ironically i arrived for the Dundalk match with 5 layers and a hat and it was very mild.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    If the temperature was so bad that players had to get medical treatment afterwards, you would hope the officials who allowed the game to go ahead would be called to task.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

5. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    If the temperature was so bad that players had to get medical treatment afterwards, you would hope the officials who allowed the game to go ahead would be called to task.
    Agreed. The cold shoulder is the least they deserve.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Agreed. The cold shoulder is the least they deserve.
    careful now

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    There was definitely hypothermia in the air on saturday as I was on my bike on Saturday morning when it was nice and sunny. All of a sudden there was a torrential downpour with hail in your face. I got soaked to the skin and my hands were so cold even with gloves. It took my hands a good while to warm up when I finally arrived indoors so I have sympathy for any LOI player that had to play in those conditions.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Surely the officials themselves would be at more risk of exposure. Maybe some under armor or something was required. Maybe caught out a bit and weren't expecting it to be so bad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Ironically i arrived for the Dundalk match with 5 layers and a hat and it was very mild.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Great game in Tallaght, between two top class teams playing free flowing football supported by two loud sets of fans in top facilities. What it's all about really.

That Flores goal was something special that all 7600+ in the ground will remember but I'd feel fairly safe in saying he won't give a **** about it considering the result.

As for criticism of Jack Byrne, give your head a shake lads, he was top class. Can say he gave the ball away for the second Dundalk goal all you like but at the end of the day he's a creative midfielder so not everythings expected to come off.

As for Chris Shields, on a booking he is ordinary, when he's not he's very decent don't get me wrong but when he's been booked like a lot of defensive midfielders he's very ordinary because his game is based around being a thorn in the side of the oppositions attacking players and he can't do that on a yellow and you could see once he got on the yellow he was giving that extra yard, there was one point when Byrne was going across the box and you could see both Shields and Flores go to take him out and both realise they were booked and pull out, luckily for them Sloggett was there to make the tackle. It's situations like that though where Shields looks ordinary once he's booked and can't put the challenge in.
    Jack's goal was not just technically brilliant but a winning goal and an important one in the context of the two teams (in all likelihood) going toe to toe for the league title. But really i wish he was playing for Dundalk.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Great game in Tallaght, between two top class teams playing free flowing football supported by two loud sets of fans in top facilities. What it's all about really.

That Flores goal was something special that all 7600+ in the ground will remember but I'd feel fairly safe in saying he won't give a **** about it considering the result.

As for criticism of Jack Byrne, give your head a shake lads, he was top class. Can say he gave the ball away for the second Dundalk goal all you like but at the end of the day he's a creative midfielder so not everythings expected to come off.

As for Chris Shields, on a booking he is ordinary, when he's not he's very decent don't get me wrong but when he's been booked like a lot of defensive midfielders he's very ordinary because his game is based around being a thorn in the side of the oppositions attacking players and he can't do that on a yellow and you could see once he got on the yellow he was giving that extra yard, there was one point when Byrne was going across the box and you could see both Shields and Flores go to take him out and both realise they were booked and pull out, luckily for them Sloggett was there to make the tackle. It's situations like that though where Shields looks ordinary once he's booked and can't put the challenge in.
    Jack Byrne disagrees in your assessment of Chris Shields. You should listen to his interview with Irish Fan TV after the game.

Id take his opinion over a troll.

Fantastic game, between 2 top sides (in terrible weather conditions I must add). Rovers prob just about deserved the win. Going to be a great season. Im in Sligo Sat night with family so will prob hit the Showgrounds. Lets hope Shams run in Sligo continues

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Jack Byrne disagrees in your assessment of Chris Shields. You should listen to his interview with Irish Fan TV after the game.

Id take his opinion over a troll.

Fantastic game, between 2 top sides (in terrible weather conditions I must add). Rovers prob just about deserved the win. Going to be a great season. Im in Sligo Sat night with family so will prob hit the Showgrounds. Lets hope Shams run in Sligo continues
    Did you actually even bother reading what I said? Or did you just instantly get angry at the possible insinuation that something dundalk do may not always be the best no matter the circumstances?

Try your best to give it another read if you can then get back to me.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Did you actually even bother reading what I said? Or did you just instantly get angry at the possible insinuation that something dundalk do may not always be the best no matter the circumstances?

Try your best to give it another read if you can then get back to me.
    You said "As for Chris Shields, on a booking he is ordinary,"

Jack Byrne said the only time he got away from Shields once in the 90mins was for the goal. So Shields is not just ordinary when he is booked. Byrne thought he was just as good before the booking than after the booking.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    You said "As for Chris Shields, on a booking he is ordinary,"

Jack Byrne said the only time he got away from Shields once in the 90mins was for the goal. So Shields is not just ordinary when he is booked. Byrne thought he was just as good before the booking than after the booking.

A player is hardly gonna come out and talk badly about an opposition player even if its "once he was booked I had him" not the way things happen at Rovers these days. He also said probably, go back through the match and there's actually a good few occasions where it happened, players don't remember everything exactly right in interviews before reviewing the match and again even if they do they're not gonna talk down an opposition player.

Even if you take what you quoted do you not see that after being booked Shields lost Byrne for his goal and Pico for his? Not a coincidence. Players go from not being able to shake him all match to him being responsible for losing the two players that scored
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 03/03/2020 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    To be fair players rarely diss each other in the media, they know each other off the pitch and there is normally an element of mutual respect (With the exception of James Talbot ).
    I think Sheilds is an excellent player but Jack Byrne lost him plenty of times in the match, it wasn't one of Sheilds better performances but that doesn't make him a bad player.
    Even Messi doesnt do it every game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    He's won a certain penalty in a cup final in turners cross. Probably missed that one.
    Do you think the 2011 Cork City FC team were a good side? We won the first division that year but its a stretch to call a first division team a good team.
    Also that penalty was hard, handball but the defender couldn't do much about it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    A player is hardly gonna come out and talk badly about an opposition player even if its "once he was booked I had him" not the way things happen at Rovers these days. He also said probably, go back through the match and there's actually a good few occasions where it happened, players don't remember everything exactly right in interviews before reviewing the match and again even if they do they're not gonna talk down an opposition player.

Even if you take what you quoted do you not see that after being booked Shields lost Byrne for his goal and Pico for his? Not a coincidence. Players go from not being able to shake him all match to him being responsible for losing the two players that scored
    Shields was not marking Lopez for the corner (even if he was, his booking had nothing to do with marking anyone from a corner)

The way Byrne shifted the ball onto his left and made room, lost Shields, not because Shields was booked.

As for the bit in bold, what ****e are you talking?

You won the game, would you not be happy you have managed to break the wee jinz we had over you in Tallaght, than pity point scoring saying of one of the best LOI midfielders of last 10 years is an ordinary footballer once he has a booking.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    For my money, Jack had a relatively poor game by his standards His passing was off and he appeared to be trying too hard. Having said that, that was by far the worst I've seen Shields play- he passed it out of play about 3 or 4 times, much to the consternation of his teammates.
    Also saw a lot more arguing amongst each other by dundalk, throughout the game. Is all well up oriel way?
    Dundalk impressed me in the way they were handling the game, all the same, as they looked like they knew they could step it up a gear if required. Think Rovers have a but to go to overtake them, but for Rovers there is now clear sight of progress, and a squad to match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I think arguing amongst DFC players was more to do with conceeding 3 goals, almost sure 2 was the biggest in any domestic game last year.

Shields had a poor second half, no getting away from that, and he was probably at fault for goals 2 and 3, added to this the central MF and subs added little (apart form D Kelly ball to Hoban), and this was where the game was lost.

There has been no better player in the league than Shields in his role in the past 4 years, and he has 5 league titles to back that up, a poor 45 mins won't change this.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Shields was worse in the 1st half, from my view and that was when he was giving the ball away so much.
    Also the arguments amongst each other was throughout the game, not just when they conceded.i hadn't see that before. As you say that it was only one game. Next game up in oriel should be interesting anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Did you actually even bother reading what I said? Or did you just instantly get angry
    Looks like someone has been attending the PC school of trolling over the winter break

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast