Page 59 of 78 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1551

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Hard for the league to make decisions based on gut feeling or in hope.
    Don't see why, they accepted Club plans based on the same for years and years.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Interesting that GAA club championships must cease under enhanced L3. You reap what you sow I suppose though maybe there are not too many left to be completed. I doubt that L4 wont be extended to Louth considering how bad things are getting in the likes of Newry. Back to pods in training possibly where facilities exist for that to be done. Mid October was the time that if things would be above 1000 cases a day as things were going and its come to pass. Christmas market in Galway has been cancelled already. Lets hope that this will get people back to putting the shoulder to the wheel and these restrictions will do a job. Meath Cork and Galway are not miles off additional restrictions either. Things have stabilised in Dublin albeit still high enough to mushroom. It's possible that if there are enough clusters among sporing organisations that even elite sport could be suspended. NI are down to damn all ICU beds. Here we are keeping the head above water but limited capacity for much more maybe 30-40 ICU beds but non covid cases are being moved to HDUs with additional staff to help there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebray View Post
    Don't see why, they accepted Club plans based on the same for years and years.
    Well yeah, clubs over guestimated budgets on best case scenarios and were at time ridiculous. This is different with no indication of crowds returning, sponsorship is likely to be unreliable as business suffer in general. Unless a club has a cash reserve to weather the storm how can they offer contracts to players in December say, when there is actually no income rather than the robbing peter to pay paul method of keeping the show on the road. Government support via SI will be essential and some clubs will have to consider an amatuer playing staff. This is gonna create a much bigger divide between the haves and have nots than a club playinf CL group stages. Membership schemes will be crucial so Sligo, Cork, Rovers, Bohs, Dundalk (in its infancy) will at least have something to work on.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Well yeah, clubs over guestimated budgets on best case scenarios and were at time ridiculous. This is different with no indication of crowds returning, sponsorship is likely to be unreliable as business suffer in general. Unless a club has a cash reserve to weather the storm how can they offer contracts to players in December say, when there is actually no income rather than the robbing peter to pay paul method of keeping the show on the road. Government support via SI will be essential and some clubs will have to consider an amatuer playing staff. This is gonna create a much bigger divide between the haves and have nots than a club playinf CL group stages. Membership schemes will be crucial so Sligo, Cork, Rovers, Bohs, Dundalk (in its infancy) will at least have something to work on.
    Big concern I see coming is selling season tickets for Xmas. You'd like to think season ticket holders are pretty hardcore folk but its hard for anybody to justify spending money without much reassurance. We have over 800 season tickets across the board, with vast majority bought before Xmas, but can you expect people to buy them for Xmas with so many unknowns. Can clubs even sell season tickets where there is a chance of a shortened season or matches behind closed doors or reduced numbers.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    This is a problem alright that is speeding towards us.
    Rovers had barely anyone who looked for a refund instead of the watchloi pass and a shop voucher but its one thing to not look for money back from your club who you know need it and another thing entirely to shell out money knowing you are probably throwing it away.
    I genuinely think a biggish % will do it anyway but economics for some people who may be out of work etc will hurt here as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I think the majority of Dundalk fans are the same, I do t know of anyone that looked for a refund on their season ticket. But as you say, trying to get people to part with money when there’s no guarantee of anything for it will be hard when there are a lot of people out of work or on reduced incomes. For some people the luxury of renewing a season ticket just won’t be an option.
    I’d like to think that anyone who can afford it will renew but with next season being uncertain and then the added drama for ourselves of the off field circus, will have an influence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I would be of a similar opinion as above in that Id have considered most fans would suck up the loss of a refund if it kept their club alive. It was quite divisive one here, and certainly I was projecting my own thinking on it. Maybe giving people the choice of taking a refund or not was an issue and when it came to the bit the refunds werent generally sought. I think season tickets could be sold with an agreement to honour the number of games it is valid for whenever crowds return - but that is again kicking the problam of finances down the road if crowds are not allowed to return in numbers or a season is shortened. If clubs were streaming their own games for their own fanances and we know its very doable then WatchLoI could be in a bit of trouble and sharing the wealth stops. A lot of this will be resolved as it always has been in LoI, through the goodwill and determination of fans. How do you get fans to help financially when there are the Peak6 and Denis O'Briens of the world involved in clubs!?

If it were possible to stream board meetings Dundalk could make a killing........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    At least we get tonfinish the league and maybe start again in mid feb with crowds of 500.....or alternativly by mid feb we are back here again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    At least we get to finish the league and maybe start again in mid feb with crowds of 500.....or alternativly by mid feb we are back here again.
    Ya, who knows. How much is going to change between now and mid February, hope Im wrong but not a lot Id suspect. If it is games with 200 or 500 fans BCD, are fans going to pay for season tickets so they can go into a lottery or get every odd home game! If its going to be a shortened season (same as this) then it might be worth pushing the start back till June/ July to give more of a chance of a a vaccine and bigger crowds during summer! FAI need to make the decisions soon though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Id rather go for a 36 game season and have the second half with bigger crowds if that works out.
    Id definitly buy a season ticket if it meant getting into every second or third match , maybe with a watchloi pass thrown in....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Summer start and a truncated season definitely has the better chance of not being disrupted and maybe with crowds back also. Nothings for sure though and the risk is the smaller window to get a season in if any restrictions are needed. A spring start would almost definitely be with restricted attendances at best. June/July start wont suit everyone so April could be a runner though initially at least, would be restricted. The rescheduled Euro 2020 may influence the April ko also though i'd be quite happy ignoring the Dublin fixtures now that Ireland wont feature. There will be damn all close season for winter leagues so the early rounds of Europe could get moved forward to KO as early as possible!? UEFA/FAI et al just need to decide asap and stick to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I think starting Feb makes sense, lets say we get 8 or 9 rounds done by April and go into another lockdown we could still come back and play maybe 27 games.
    The risk of starting late is you miss the opportunity to get some games in and end up with another really short season.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Clubs have generally been successful in managing COVID in their squads and I am confident we could get through a full season in 2021. I don't want another mini league like 2020.

However, the issue is money. Without crowds and season ticket income, how will clubs survive? Some clubs have non matchday income to burn through, but most clubs haven't a farthing.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Clubs have generally been successful in managing COVID in their squads and I am confident we could get through a full season in 2021. I don't want another mini league like 2020.

However, the issue is money. Without crowds and season ticket income, how will clubs survive? Some clubs have non matchday income to burn through, but most clubs haven't a farthing.
    I was thinking that myself and why maybe an April start has some balance. Most clubs (maybe all) wont want to commit to player contracts not knowing what the lie of the land will be and thats understandable. I dont think it should be a case that a season is dropped, if clubs want to suspend participation they should be allowed, without any threat of membership of the league. Clubs that want to participate and assuming there are enough clubs willing(?) then let it happen with as many '*' as is necessary. Tinker with formats, split league type stuff, play-offs - sure if Dundalk are an American franchise club the best of 7 isnt totally alien!! Have a couple of plans/options that can be utilised at relatively short notice including amatuer status for clubs temporarily. As it is we'd probably have to be ready for points to be expunged when financial issues kick in so however its done it needs to be proactive rather than reactive. Not much of a solution that doesnt involve (govt) financial support...

Im quite surprised at this! Has opinion turned on GAA after the behaviour of some clubs and fans around the country (or did they just poll people from soccer mad towns in rubbish GAA counties - Louth and Sligo of course)? Or is it advance warning that sport isnt as (self)important as GAA circles seem to believe ... "represented the country" ffs.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/10...pionship-poll/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

Exactly and we are soon going to be having the exact same conservation as we did back in March about funding. Some clubs simply cant afford to run a club without gate money and fundraising from events in the community. Clubs won't (and cant be expected) to start a season without reassurances on finishing the season. People seen Sligo Rovers as not wanting to play football back in March, that wasn't the case ... we were simply sayin that there is no money to start. Whatever other clubs think/ want, it would be reckless to start without reassurances, you could end up running the club out of existence. Mad to be talking about this and this season not even finished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I dont think its mad at all to be talking about possible contingencies for next season. The latter end of this season could be the best opportunity to test well testing systems in place for players and officials etc. Finances will be a lot more in the face come then end of November and influence choices for next season. I doubt there will be any consensus on the 2021 season and I'm not taking it as read that Dundalk will be first to the line to start either. Some sort of league will have to be played unless UEFA change their stance. The only thing near a possible compromise for all clubs is to lets those play that want to play and hae a temporary format to suit. I probably sound off the wall suggesting the like but it could come to it - there are clubs that will have to go in to a hibernation in hope of preserving things, not just for reassurances on finishing a season but the return of crowd revenue (sponsorship budgets could have gaping holes in weeks) - that wont happen before a decision has to be made one way or another. Maybe the Dept of Sport will pull anoher rabbit out of a hat but its getting increasingly difficult to justify even 10 of millions to sports NGBs. Its one of the reasons I posted the link to the RTE survey above 'cause if thats public opinion of where sports in general rather than specific mistrust of GAA then there will be token funding set. Maybe if crowds are back in other nations there might be wriggle room with UEFA but will be in the form of loans or advance payments and the FAI have tapped that well to the extreme.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    End the league now and abandon the cup. 4th European place should go to league placings after PPG ��

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    That's insane. Clearly the cup should be awarded to Rovers' next opponents in it.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    They will be back in time fornthe derry match so all good........for now .

Why dont we make the match in finn park a double header 3 points and a place in the cup semi for the winner ....
    Bit like we got the presidents cup when we beat DFC in oriel last time out.

Page 59 of 78 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast