Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1551

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Honest question. What is the point of an LOI season without fans?
    None whatsoever, it doesn't add up and how can clubs plan and budget for next season with no certainty of what it's going to look like.....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    What is the point of a league 1 or 2 in UK with no fans or a scotish championship?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Don't know that either.

I guess there's a hope crowds will be back by Christmas. But that's looking less likely now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I meant that retorically, I don't believe we should consider not playing our league.
    Everyone on here is a loi fan, this league is more important to me then the premier league and not playing would play into the hands of those people who despise our league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    My answer's genuine though. I'm in the "What's the point?" camp. We're all fans of the league, but head over heart has to happen at times. A whole season without fans would be disastrous. It'd be financially ruinous. It'd have no real impact on barstoolers who (a) don't care and (b) will quickly see that one behind-closed-doors match is much like another.

No other industry is being forced to open while being told it can't let its customers in so far as I can see

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I think it depends on whether the league gets financial assistance from either the FAI or else from an outside source.
    Would RTÉ fund a full season on watch LOI, and pay the clubs a stipend for the games? Would clubs ask their loyal fans to pay for a season ticket membership on the basis that they might get to see some "loive" games somewhere down the road in the season, covid permitting of course?
    If there is no season next year it would be difficult to see the season starting up ever again, in my view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    If there is no season next year it would be difficult to see the season starting up ever again, in my view.
    Do you mean that if next season doesn't happen, the LoI will never return?

I can't see why that would be the case.

Do we know what engagement there is with WatchLoI? It'd be key to whether RTÉ would fund a full season of it next year (and remember they're surely likely to be down cash next year, like most companies, so they can't just run with it because we want them to)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    My answer's genuine though. I'm in the "What's the point?" camp. We're all fans of the league, but head over heart has to happen at times. A whole season without fans would be disastrous. It'd be financially ruinous. It'd have no real impact on barstoolers who (a) don't care and (b) will quickly see that one behind-closed-doors match is much like another.

No other industry is being forced to open while being told it can't let its customers in so far as I can see
    I really want to make a UCD joke here, but I'm not finding the words.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I can see clubs being shut up, never to return! Take clubs as businesses and if they were to close up for a year it is a brand new launch and battle to get (re)established. Recruitment is massive and with every club looking to similar pools of talent. Would be better ticking over with youths. Out of sight out of mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I really want to make a UCD joke here, but I'm not finding the words.
    It's been great for us this season. Crowds slightly up on projections.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    League to be extended a week; new fixture list out later today.

Seems a little bit unnecessary as only two games have been postponed so far I think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Over 1000 cases reported today, so the numbers are still getting worse, not better.

We only hit 1000 twice in the first wave, and one of those was when there was a backlog of results from Germany. (The caveat of course is that 1000 reported today is probably a better measure than 1000 reported in April)

We're in a race to finish the league before Level 5 it seems. And I don't really see why elite sport should get a free pass at that stage, but it does seem that change to the rules has already been flagged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Over 1000 cases reported today, so the numbers are still getting worse, not better.

We only hit 1000 twice in the first wave, and one of those was when there was a backlog of results from Germany. (The caveat of course is that 1000 reported today is probably a better measure than 1000 reported in April)

We're in a race to finish the league before Level 5 it seems. And I don't really see why elite sport should get a free pass at that stage, but it does seem that change to the rules has already been flagged.
    Level 5 can’t be far off now with those numbers. I think Christmas will be a total mess this year as the house party’s will just get worse not better.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    With 1000 here in the south and in the north the time has come for cross border cooperation between Stormont and Leinster House to do a coordinated response to solve this once and for all. Maybe going up to level 4 instead of level 5 might be achievable?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Level 5 can’t be far off now with those numbers. I think Christmas will be a total mess this year as the house party’s will just get worse not better.
    Lockdown soon or longer and more extensive and damaging lockdown over Christmas and New Year- the choice is still there! Add a week to midterm break during a shorter sharper lockdown to ease things also. Tick Tock!!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    League to be extended a week; new fixture list out later today.

Seems a little bit unnecessary as only two games have been postponed so far I think?
    Don't think Pats would have been clear in time to play us.. and with Dundalk having such a packed schedule it all gets very messy very quickly.

I would have no great confidence we'll be able to finish the season as a league in a satisfactory way- it seems inevitable more clubs will be hit with cases. Harps and Derry vulnerable given case rates in the Northwest but the numbers are bad everywhere and it's the age profile of players that are seeing the worst rates. It's an absolute balls with no good answers. If we keep extending the season who is going to pay? Clubs have feck all income.

As for next season.. hard to see how it'll work. Keeping the underage leagues going nearly more important so players don't lose a year's development. Hopefully the pandemic peters out and we can start getting back to normal, so would be in no rush to get the league going- we have a long time before we need to have qualifiers for Europe in 2022 after all.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Im actually not as worried about next season and feel crowds will return on a graduated basis, depending on when the season it starts and finishes. An April/May start with either a truncated season, play in to December, or start as usual but with no crowds initially. It wont make budget projections too easy. It is this particular covid hump (to state it mildly) that is scary. Neck on the line again but come next late spring I think we will have adapted sufficiantly at minimum, maybe even have vaccine/effective treatment protocols. Hard for the league to make decisions based on gut feeling or in hope.

Figuring out why some are asymtomatic and some are on deaths door with the same virus, or if reinfected can asymptomatic people end up in trouble, will be fascinating stuff, could be key to figuring this all out but raises all sorts of ethical dilemmas...do you carve up a population based on resistance and let some get on with things and restrict others, dystopian stuff.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    See that the NI assembly have allowed 600 fans to attend the NI game tonight in Windsor Park which is a brave move on their part but the correct move unlike the GAA up there!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Good job Windsor isnt in Derry/Strabane - as daft as that sounds covid or not! Ukraine had 20k back at their international game v Germany. Seeing the impact of these type examples will no doubt dictate things elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    If dundalk take points off bohs next Friday rovers could win the league with a win against Derry with practically no one in the stadium to even congratulate them.
    It has the makings of one of the best worst nights for fans.
    Let's say harps win a playoff and stay up , a huge achievement AGAIN and no one to acknowledge it.
    I'm 100% in favour of our league goin gv ahead like other leagues but it doesn't make it any less hard.

With the exception of shels I'd feel t he same about any group of fans

Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast