Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1551

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Isnt there a very bad relationship between the GAA in Tallaght and Shamrock Rovers can anyone confirm pls?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's a fair point, but is retrospective action really the best course of action for a pandemic situation? If we're trying to reduce contacts, then even elite sport seems unnecessary. I know there's jobs and even businesses at stake of course, but you can say that for lots of other areas that are shut.
    Its not retrospective though, there are ongoing examples of flouting current restrictions, across society for sure but there is a duty of care for formal organisations to behave and are held to a higher level conduct than joe soap. The way that GAA is embedded in every community has become a weak link, their strength their weakness so to speak. The issue has most to do with being able to trace things in the event of a cluster. If elite sporting activity is (potentially) driving incidence of infection in the community, the minimum obligation is to be able to track that outbreak, know the why, how, and where it is going. Being up front about it is essential regardless of consequences within the rules and efforts of a particular sporting body and there are ongoing issues on this. Its a rare occurrence but I feel a bit sorry for the central administrators of GAA as they have been let down but then little happens in GAA that Croke Park hasnt some sniff off! Again by nature of how things are structured Elite GAA players are also non elite players when reverting to their clubs. LoI by nature has a smaller footprint but regardless a player at a club is only a player at that club unless called up to international squads - very tracible if any outbreaks occur. To use the rugby example again, players can be elite provincial players but also revert to AIL club level though uncommon especially with the central contract model but there isnt even a whisper of AIL sides trying to gain advantage by training while others have suspended club activity. The same cannot be said elsewhere. I'm going for the easy point scoring on this but a sport that officially claims that no one is paid to play or coach within the sport when everyone knows that that is not the case! added to good auld general fudging of its own restrictions has come home to roost. Public health vulnerabilities are taking precedence over the influence that any organisation has on how we are administrated as a country - the stakes are too high for insular micro politics.

EG's example is very much about recognising that there is a balance, elite sport may involve contacts but if covid is flagged up, protocols mitigates against spread. If protocols are not followed or there is a reasonable risk of not being followed then its not the conduct of 'elite' sport. Id think the IL Championship is not happening that its is is to to with resources.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Isnt there a very bad relationship between the GAA in Tallaght and Shamrock Rovers can anyone confirm pls?
    Historically Thomas Davis GAA opposed Tallaght Stadium being 'soccer' led, with its anchor tenant being SRFC. Did the legal stuff, judicial appeals on the plans(?), pitch dimensions to allow GAA were thrown in but would have been awful for football games. It is a multi-use municipal facility as TD wanted but for mens and ladies footy and underage games, some American Football I think and underage GAA too where there is no need for the large playing area. Cynical throwing a spanner in the works by a bunch of petty GAA individuals where Thomas Davis became their common rallying point of opposition to the development. The committee of Thomas Davis must have shrunk 10 fold when SDCC and SRFC got the go ahead to finish the ground!!

Dunno how well they get on now but probably talk through gritted teeth.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Speaking of retrospective bans, I think we should cancel the 2020 season. Its too dangerous.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Speaking of retrospective bans, I think we should cancel the 2020 League season. Its too dangerous.
    One additional word and a Dundalk and Cork fan are totally in agreement!

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Historically Thomas Davis GAA opposed Tallaght Stadium being 'soccer' led, with its anchor tenant being SRFC. Did the legal stuff, judicial appeals on the plans(?), pitch dimensions to allow GAA were thrown in but would have been awful for football games. It is a multi-use municipal facility as TD wanted but for mens and ladies footy and underage games, some American Football I think and underage GAA too where there is no need for the large playing area. Cynical throwing a spanner in the works by a bunch of petty GAA individuals where Thomas Davis became their common rallying point of opposition to the development. The committee of Thomas Davis must have shrunk 10 fold when SDCC and SRFC got the go ahead to finish the ground!!

We don't, the opinion in Tallafornia is last man standing is the winner, and in the case of Thomas Davis, it almost bankrupt them, but they pursued it even when GAA central said give it up, they lost their Bollíx keeping up the case and not a soul in football in Tallaght has any sympathy for them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    We don't, the opinion in Tallafornia is last man standing is the winner, and in the case of Thomas Davis, it almost bankrupt them, but they pursued it even when GAA central said give it up, they lost their Bollíx keeping up the case and not a soul in football in Tallaght has any sympathy for them
    And rightly so!! Was there an issue with flags or bunting a couple of years ago? Either TD objecting to SRFC colours going up in the locality or TD putting flags up around Tallaght Stadium. I could have some stories mixed up - maybe it had to do with Dublin flags? Occasionally the LoI football gods and step up and putting Thoms Davis in their place was on of those times!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Great story on one of the Tales from the East stand podcasts about an SRFC supporting kid winning player of the year award in his age group Thomas Davis a few years ago and when it was announced whipping off his jumper and going up to pick up the award in his Rovers jersey....

GAA centrally bailed them out for a chunk of their legal fees or they would have been in trouble.
    Classic case of long standing committee members running away with themselves when the majority of members didnt care that much at all.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    If Ireland could have been transposed onto Lemmy's face, the gah and all its associates would be one of his warts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    I found it hilarious if I’m being honest. Not saying it is right or wrong to treat the LOI and GAA differently but it is funny to see the reactions from within that Organisation to less than equal treatment for a change. Welcome to our world lads!

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    No offence to the GAAHH but I hate it for its backwards stance towards other clubs from other sports in the locality ie TD and Shamrock Rovers. Think that battle was from day one when there was planning permission granted and TS lay idle for wat a decade and a bit!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Great story on one of the Tales from the East stand podcasts about an SRFC supporting kid winning player of the year award in his age group Thomas Davis a few years ago and when it was announced whipping off his jumper and going up to pick up the award in his Rovers jersey....

GAA centrally bailed them out for a chunk of their legal fees or they would have been in trouble.
    Classic case of long standing committee members running away with themselves when the majority of members didnt care that much at all.
    Not as funny but prior to 2008 AGM at a local GAA club there were 2 factions standing, one for reelection and to keep the club for the locals, traditional names in the parish, and one group who wanted to open the club to all the new residents (known as runners) that moved in to the area (15,000 since mid 2000s and counting). The latter group were elected, the former stormed off and drowned their sorrows in a local pub. The following committee meeting a vote of no confidence in the chair and secretary was submitted for causing the lads that lost being charged with drink driving on the night of the AGM....the penny dropped for me that night on why Louth GAA was rotten. The sinister side to this was that a blind eye had been turned in the past to people drinking and driving until they were no longer in control of the local club and by extension local politics and policing it seems too. Nothing to do with covid then but imagine many like minded people running clubs all over the country today in this manner, especially in rural Ireland and Im sure we all have such examples. It may take an age but abuse positions of authority there will eventually be a backlash!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post

TD ran out on their legal bill with the council too. Owed something in the region of half a mill iirc and I assume the GAA settled it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I see UEFA are talking about pulling out of Dublin for the euros unless there are 10000 people minimum at the matches according to RTE.
    Might force the Government into doing something along the lines of allowing people who have been vaccinated attend or something like that.
    Might help the LOI in terms of starting the conversation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I see UEFA are talking about pulling out of Dublin for the euros unless there are 10000 people minimum at the matches according to RTE.
    Might force the Government into doing something along the lines of allowing people who have been vaccinated attend or something like that.
    Might help the LOI in terms of starting the conversation.
    It would be great if it leads to supporters getting back to LoI games in some form, but the health advice shouldn’t be determined based on getting some Euros games in Dublin. I can’t see it happening anyway as the guarantees UEFA are looking for probably can’t be given. Personally I don’t care if there are Euros matches here. I just want things to get to a point that we can get back to our games here.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I think UEFA needs a knock on the head. What they are looking for isn't reasonable.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I think the Government would be more than happy for the event and associated risks not taking place in Ireland. If UEFA pull the plug does the FAI get compensated for the losses ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I wasn't suggesting we open up just for that but i think it might make the Govt engage with the problem a bit more in terms of finding a safe solution.
    They dont care about the LOI so starting the conversation about football is key

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I wasn't suggesting we open up just for that but i think it might make the Govt engage with the problem a bit more in terms of finding a safe solution.
    They dont care about the LOI so starting the conversation about football is key
    Even if they don't, the rugby and GAA pressure will keep 'elite sport' on the agenda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Even if they don't, the rugby and GAA pressure will keep 'elite sport' on the agenda.

Never underestimate our politicians excitement at the prospect of mixing at these big events.
    Witness the BS over the feasibility study for a world cup in 9 years time.
    Chance to see and be seen

Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast