Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1551

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Not LOI but just watching Larne Vs Linfield on BBC NI, no face coverings or social distancing among a lot of the crowd
    How are they allowed in with the larger crowds and the lack of social distancing? Seen some ladies GAA team in the news during the week up north with their celebrations.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Because boris johnson is a complete muppett and the pathetic unionist eejits want to be like him.
    Even though he dropped them once the tories didnt need them.
    Slow learners

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Because boris johnson is a complete muppett and the pathetic unionist eejits want to be like him.
    Even though he dropped them once the tories didnt need them.
    Slow learners
    From talking with a few people I know who live in the 6 counties there is a big difference in general attitudes towards COVID regulations in the 6 counties vs the 26 counties
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Ah now social distancing was clearly adhered too by the vast majority of the crowd apart from a few small groups on the wee terrace, furthermore not sure why masks would be required it is a wide open outdoor space.

I was at Inver Park when Derry played a friendly there a few months back and there was a lot less social distancing than last night and actually a bigger crowd as well.

It is great to see fans back at football and a progressive step taken by the Executive in the north for once.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    From talking with a few people I know who live in the 6 counties there is a big difference in general attitudes towards COVID regulations in the 6 counties vs the 26 counties
    People tend to be more law-abiding in countries where trust in the government is relatively high. I remember reading something about this in a discussion on how chaotic traffic is in different countries, so I'm not completely confident I'm not over-stating the result. Anyway, I figure trust in the government might be a little eroded in the north for some reason.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Early NI January figures will not be fun, as this recent 'circuit breaker' was neither one thing or another with the old reliables squabbling from completely opposing points - so it was a some opening things up for the DUP and locking down for SF, both had their little victories at the expense of social health but not just in NI if you look at the worsening figures in Border areas of RoI. All policy has fallen to waiting for vaccines, in the mean time hope for the best. At least Dom isnt dictating to Boris anymore on the benefits of a cull!

If sterling slides next week on news of a no brexit deal - dont be tempted up North do get some Christmas bargains in as they could end up being the most expensive bargains you'll ever buy!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Fans looked fairly spread out to me at that game last night. Outdoors too which makes a huge difference.

There's a valid reason why we couldn't go to games this year so I'm not arguing against that but I really can't wait to go to games again. That Larne game was so much more watchable with a small crowd. I want to feel cold at a game, get warm after - all that mundane stuff.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Early NI January figures will not be fun, as this recent 'circuit breaker' was neither one thing or another with the old reliables squabbling from completely opposing points - so it was a some opening things up for the DUP and locking down for SF, both had their little victories at the expense of social health but not just in NI if you look at the worsening figures in Border areas of RoI. All policy has fallen to waiting for vaccines, in the mean time hope for the best. At least Dom isnt dictating to Boris anymore on the benefits of a cull!

If sterling slides next week on news of a no brexit deal - dont be tempted up North do get some Christmas bargains in as they could end up being the most expensive bargains you'll ever buy!!!
    One of the most over dramatic and nonsensical posts I have had the displeasure of
    reading.
    All policy in every country is now geared toward the vaccine, how coukd
    it not be? As for the last comment about a cross border shopping trip being the most expensive bargains you’ll ever buy what complete partionist and sensationalist crap.
    The implication that someone in Killea shopping in Derry or Lifford shopping in Strabane (walking distance away) is likely to go for their shopping trip with covid is idiotic and completely out of touch with reality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Dont go shopping in areas with a higher incidence of covid than where you are is hardly sensationalist.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    One of the most over dramatic and nonsensical posts I have had the displeasure of
    reading.
    All policy in every country is now geared toward the vaccine, how coukd
    it not be? As for the last comment about a cross border shopping trip being the most expensive bargains you’ll ever buy what complete partionist and sensationalist crap.
    The implication that someone in Killea shopping in Derry or Lifford shopping in Strabane (walking distance away) is likely to go for their shopping trip with covid is idiotic and completely out of touch with reality.
    and here's the difference in thinking and attitude - people can make up their own minds.
    'the most over dramatic and nonsensical posts you have had the displeasure of reading'? Diddums I didnt take you for being such a delicate flower DCWA! roars partitionist (yawn) yet in RoI we are not to leave our county of residence so the place must be falling apart at the suggestion....

The circuit breaker was botched by the DUP/SF p!ssing match with AP compromise getting something agreed, to late and too weak.to short to be classed as a proper circuit breaker. Has it worked? look at the figures and you tell me, or wait for a week or 2 when current infection rates will spike on top of the Christmas load. As for bargain shopping up North, I wasnt talking about people from the immediate border proximity - damage is already done there, and mores the pity we didnt directly restrict cross border travel in fear of stepping on delicate toes; But people travelling from further south where rates are lower in to a much higher risk zone that has much more limited controls in place and hence control on viral spread is a common sense approach - I know who Id think was idiotic and out of touch with reality!!

Of course countries, all suffering covid fatigue are preparing for vaccine roll out. Most realise that this will happen on a phased bases and all other social health protective measures should remain in the mean time. Funny how the British jumped in with active (limited) rollout of vaccines, made sure it was all over the news etc. Cause basically Boris is still bricking it on what happens early in the New Year, and anyone who isnt also worried needs the reality check. When full vaccination programmes are rolled out in full, and Im hopeful that this will allow a normal spring time, then we can possibly ease back other restrictions. Time will tell!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Well I am no delicate flower as such a thing would possess more beauty than me, the rest I could t be bothered with. Open the whole place up pack the pubs pack the stadiums pack Strabane Asda and Buncrana Aldi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Well I am no delicate flower as such a thing would possess more beauty than me, the rest I could t be bothered with. Open the whole place up pack the pubs pack the stadiums pack Strabane Asda and Buncrana Aldi.
    You forgot spitting the dummy!

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I don’t believe there are any current restrictions on dummy spitting (open to correction as pay no heed to them anyway).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I don’t believe there are any current restrictions on dummy spitting (open to correction as pay no heed to them anyway).
    Remind yourself of that when a 3rd surge is causing chaos in the NHS. I hope you will not be one of those in need of a fully functional health service during that time! Oxygen is beautiful when one can actually breathe it...

So it begins, and in a country that does pay heed to the risks. Gonna be a bumpy ride across the UK as things stand!
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55292614
    Last edited by Nesta99; 13/12/2020 at 2:41 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I do have to apologise for some of the tone above to DCWA, its serves no good at all to be petty and take a cheap shot with terms like diddums or spitting the dummy. We obviously disagree, but there isnt a right for me to let the angrier side of myself to get the better and lash out - and deflect away from the issues of concern. Im not rolling back from what Ive said in terms of covid, avoiding places of higher rates etc. But I was being unnecessarily snide at points!

(I think the call on 'partitionism' and I saw red for so many reason!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Ive flogged this thread plenty, in general hope of people considering things from a bit of a different angle that the standard government calls. This report gave me the heebee jeebees a week out from people being able to ease restrictions to gather for christmas, unless Stormont ignores London. All those appliances stuck and unable to respond to additional emergencies. Thats grim stuff and could yet be sharing hospital capacity across the border. with HSE units asked to respond in to NI Border areas,

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/...oronavirus-ni/

'Northern Ireland now faces one of the most challenging periods of the pandemic after the most recent circuit break lockdown failed to drive down infections.
    Hospital capacity across the region stood at 104% today.
    At one point outside Antrim Area Hospital, 17 ambulances containing patients were lined up outside the emergency department. Doctors were treating patients in the car park'.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I do have to apologise for some of the tone above to DCWA, its serves no good at all to be petty and take a cheap shot with terms like diddums or spitting the dummy. We obviously disagree, but there isnt a right for me to let the angrier side of myself to get the better and lash out - and deflect away from the issues of concern. Im not rolling back from what Ive said in terms of covid, avoiding places of higher rates etc. But I was being unnecessarily snide at points!

(I think the call on 'partitionism' and I saw red for so many reason!).
    I don’t feel you have any reason at all to apologise nesta and if any reason it is perhaps I who does for some of my flippancy.

I would like to clarify on my I pay no heed to them remark, that was for all intents and purposes a wind up as I do wear masks, keep my distance and basically use a bit of common sense and follow the law/guidance and have never had any problem doing so. However like yourself I won’t move away from the core of my point and I am happy to see things open up again but there is no point in going round in circles on that obviously we’d only be wasting each other’s time.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    If anyone is in doubt over how different management of covid has an imact ye just have to look at not only the recent figures from NI but also the spill-over in to border counties. The daily rate is going to top 2000 but ICU admissions are reasonably stable. Mixed bag with the ICU figures as there are cases that probably would have been admitted to an ICU previously but for both capacity reasons and the ability to manage cases on general wards the head is being kept above water. Improvements in protecting those in residential care is also doing its bit. The 'English' variant is definitely accelerating the number of infections but again there may be a silver lining as vaccination programmes are being expedited across Europe with more cooperative streamlining for the most vulnerable. It will take until the Summer to meet the 70% target for 'herd immunity' but I'm still positive that enough will happen over the next 2-3 months to have significant if not full return of crowds to games. If the season was pushed back to an April KO, shortened or also finishing later then, if things dont throw us a curve ball, we could be back baying at each other in the flesh. In my inevitable ranting tone, serious adherence to lockdowns and everything else will bring us closer to being able to get to games et al in as normal as way as is possible. It is possible, even probable that things like facemasks will be the norm even beyond 2021 KO, which ight suit some of our less desired club support.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Emmet Malone in the Irish Times this week saying that clubs are budgeting on no paying fans at all this season. The start of the season may yet be delayed pending confirmation of what financial package is in place for clubs.

This is obviously a nightmare - and yet with deaths and ICU admissions at their highest levels yet, all really out of letting people enjoy Christmas a bit, it's understandable. 50 deaths a day means around one-third of all deaths are covid-related (going off very rough maths - 5m population and 80-year life expectancy) and will surely lead to excess mortality. They're obviously bigger issues than being able to go to a match or the pub or what have you. Let's see how the vaccination programme goes, but all indications are it's going to take a while, and it mayn't even give a year's worth of immunity.

But how is the league going to operate for another full year behind closed doors? Is there really enough money in streaming? How are clubs going to keep a community link going if they're effectively two years without being able to let people into games? Will we lose a club this year?

Answers on a postcard to...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Emmet Malone in the Irish Times this week saying that clubs are budgeting on no paying fans at all this season. The start of the season may yet be delayed pending confirmation of what financial package is in place for clubs.

This is obviously a nightmare - and yet with deaths and ICU admissions at their highest levels yet, all really out of letting people enjoy Christmas a bit, it's understandable. 50 deaths a day means around one-third of all deaths are covid-related (going off very rough maths - 5m population and 80-year life expectancy) and will surely lead to excess mortality. They're obviously bigger issues than being able to go to a match or the pub or what have you. Let's see how the vaccination programme goes, but all indications are it's going to take a while, and it mayn't even give a year's worth of immunity.

But how is the league going to operate for another full year behind closed doors? Is there really enough money in streaming? How are clubs going to keep a community link going if they're effectively two years without being able to let people into games? Will we lose a club this year?

Answers on a postcard to...
    Wont necessarily lead to excess mortality over a year , the median age quoted in the I.T was 85 and a big % were in nursing homes and may have died of the conditions that made them vulnerable to covid during that time period.
    An Uncle of mine with Alzymers in a nursing home died of but he was ill for years and it was a happy release tbh , (not the same for everyone obv).

Could the FAI make a case that once you have a vaccine cert or a HSE note that u had Covid that you are allowed attend matches?
    An incentive to take the vacine with the added benefit that the anti-vax nutjobs cant get in

29. Thanks From:

Page 62 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast