Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Chelsea in quarantine after Hudson-Odoi tests positive. Thats two teams with confirmed cases and three more (Leicester, Watford and Everton) with suspected cases. If that many football teams in the PL are affected its far more widespread. They just aren't testing enough in the UK. Its likely more widespread than we realise here too, but at least our government isn't alseep at the wheel.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    All Champions League and Europa League games postponed now.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    EPL back on the 4th April, for now. Season moved on into June?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    That'll have knock-on effects on the Euros too

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    I don't think the Euros will take place this summer. Maybe moved to next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    I be surprised if things just go back to normal in a month but hope I’m mistaken. If there is a long layoff what clubs in particular are in danger ? I’d say most first division clubs and perhaps Cork or Harps maybe ? I wouldn’t be too worried about ourselves on the short to medium term but long term is entering the unknown.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Full time players will have to go the dole and part-timers players will have to suck it up untill the league eventually resumes and it certainly won't be anytime before June

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Full time players will have to go the dole and part-timers players will have to suck it up untill the league eventually resumes and it certainly won't be anytime before June
    Unless they do it voluntarily full time players won't be going on the dole. Players in the league as well as the clubs are actually quite unlucky in that the nature of football contracts means that the clubs sort of have to pay them no matter what, putting the clubs at risk thus putting the clubs ability to pay the players in the future at risk.

All this really just highlights the real danger Delaneys antics over the years have put the league in.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Caution is prudent but I wouldnt be so fatalistic about it either. Even within the at risk demographic mortality rate is far from 100%, not that Id want to test the numbers.

It'd be interesting to track the 54k that were in Anfield last night (3000 Spaniards also) and assess any cross-infection. I can't get the head around how Cheltenham has avoided restriction and with the biggest day, Gold Cup to come. Flies in the face of what seems to be best practice across Europe, yet its the UK that have 'strong borders' and avoid a ban on travel to the US. (Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said that events such as the prestigious Gold Cup should go ahead as planned."There’s no reason why people should not be going to those sort of events,"I think it’s very premature to be talking about that sort of thing.”)

What is with the panic buying of bread and bog roll? I'd have expected the alcohol aisle to be sold out and go out singing, fitting a stereotype if you will. There is no imminent shortage of anything which is where the grumble remains on scaremongering!

Id have been of a similar opinion a week or so ago but in such a fluid circumstance ye reassess. I still think there is a general overreaction in terms of doomsday, but better safe than sorry at this stage.

I hope the same wriggle room on credit is afforded to LoI clubs as with other businesses even if credit ratings are trash. All clubs have limped on with crowds of 500 or so and managed to keep going - more of the same and with more likelihood of financial supports might happen.
    Yeah know what you mean but my elderly dad has lung disease and he needs homehelp regularly hence why I am deeply worried.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Saw good piece in Sun today about Mick McCarthy could be staying longer than he thought due to the corona virus. I would love to see SK reaction if he cant take charge later this year!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    I’d say the nations league will be cancelled and the euros pushed back to next year, id say SK will have to wait a bit longer for the big job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I love Cheltenham but this has show that horse racing is run by elites who don’t give a toss about the plebs. It shouldn’t have gone ahead.
    Absolutely, big fan myself (despite it costing me a fair bit this year had the week off work for it) but you are entirely correct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Christ , life is boring as **** with no sport!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Yeah know what you mean but my elderly dad has lung disease and he needs homehelp regularly hence why I am deeply worried.
    I understand yer worry completely. In many ways he is easier to protect with people concerned than so of the blasé behaviour types. Im sure you are already but nobody goes near, especially home help, or touches surfaces eg a kettle before washing hands. In case people arnt being thorough wipe common surfaces down, fridge doorhandle, bathroom taps etc. If he isnt out and about you can almost certainly keep him safe and sound. Worry can be good but keep sensible and dont let it eat a hole in ye!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Drove by my local pub, car park full and place hopping.
    People don't seem to be taking things seriously.
    Rovers put the programmes from the Finn harps game for sale online and have sold nearly 500.
    Lot of goodwill towards the clubs.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Rovers put the programmes from the Finn harps game for sale online and have sold nearly 500.
    They will force the government to close them with that carry on , my local in fairness had half their furniture removed and reckon they will voluntarily close for paddy’s day.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Oldest Pub in Ireland has decided to close its doors, Seán's Bar, Athlone, due to Covid-19 fears. In fairness on a quiet night you couldn't swing a cat in the place. Don't know if others will follow suit.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I think people can think things are serious but cant give up the pub. It's still some ridiculous badge of honour that paddy will prevail pints in hand!? A lot of these people are out to prove they are bullitproof, im my experience especially the ones with a history of heart disease and a few heart attacks under the belt already. Selfish individuals in many ways. The rest are likley younger types who have a dulled sense of risk associated with their young age. The Irish Pub...I can think of few worse places in the world for hygiene and infection control never mind social seperation. Was always going to be the fly in the ointment as the vitners lobby manage to override public health officials...that and the real fear that its a step too far for some Irish in the balance between maintaining social cohesion and effective social protection. Gonna sound harsh but if there ends up a body count of significance a lot will be from this 'carefree' group, not the younger crowd but this unique experience might have them cop on eventually!

They, of course, will cause an even longer need to go on lockdown, damage all sorts of business in a greater manner and put their own loved ones in direct harms way. If they dont care about themselves how about mother/father/wife/husband et al.

People cant behave appropriately then a Nanny State must step in - https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/...virus-ireland/
    Last edited by Nesta99; 15/03/2020 at 1:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I think people can think things are serious but cant give up the pub. It's still some ridiculous badge of honour that paddy will prevail pints in hand!? A lot of these people are out to prove they are bullitproof, im my experience especially the ones with a history of heart disease and a few heart attacks under the belt already. Selfish individuals in many ways. The rest are likley younger types who have a dulled sense of risk associated with their young age. The Irish Pub...I can think of few worse places in the world for hygiene and infection control never mind social seperation. Was always going to be the fly in the ointment as the vitners lobby manage to override public health officials...that and the real fear that its a step too far for some Irish in the balance between maintaining social cohesion and effective social protection. Gonna sound harsh but if there ends up a body count of significance a lot will be from this 'carefree' group, not the younger crowd but this unique experience might have them cop on eventually!

They, of course, will cause an even longer need to go on lockdown, damage all sorts of business in a greater manner and put their own loved ones in direct harms way. If they dont care about themselves how about mother/father/wife/husband et al.

People cant behave appropriately then a Nanny State must step in - https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/...virus-ireland/
    Our enslaving addiction to drinking alcohol until one can't remember a single moment of the night (deliberately) is stronger than any virus unfortunately.

25. Thanks From:

Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast