Page 15 of 78 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    All Im saying is play the whole season or restart it if this goes mess goes on too long. In a nutshell, thats it clear and simple.
    And in a nutshell, why? How do the FAI stand in court when the lawsuits come in because Harps went down by a point or Bohs miss Europe by a point or whatever and justify it?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    It was announced ages ago, same announcement as the June 19th resumption date. All clubs were consulted on those plans and had lots of input.

Nobody's suggesting dropping 3 rounds except in exceptional circumstances, the point is that if they drop two you seem to think that games to be played are somehow more valuable than games played (based purely on Sligos results may I add) despite that having no basis and logistically not making sense.
    You admitted to being biased, not me. I'm trying to be fair in an situation that is far from ideal.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    And in a nutshell, why? How do the FAI stand in court when the lawsuits come in because Harps went down by a point or Bohs miss Europe by a point or whatever and justify it?
    Well as you said fair, not ideal but it would be fair, because it's the same rules for all the teams that's what fair is.

Im only putting forward a suggestion ffs. Untwist your biased knickers.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Well as you said fair, not ideal but it would be fair, because it's the same rules for all the teams that's what fair is.

Im only putting forward a suggestion ffs. Untwist your biased knickers.
    And how is counting games played already not the same for everyone?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Never said it wasnt.

I think it could go any number of ways and made suggestions that I think can work (rightly or wrongly). You cant or dont want to accept that there is a validity in starting the season again. But as you said you are biased so it is pretty hard to have a conversation with a person with one mindset that suits only his needs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Never said it wasnt.

I think it could go any number of ways and made suggestions that I think can work (rightly or wrongly). You cant or dont want to accept that there is a validity in starting the season again. But as you said you are biased so it is pretty hard to have a conversation with a person with one mindset that suits only his needs.
    Your suggestion involves simultaneously cancelling games due to time constraints and replaying games already played. That is just all kinds of wrong and just asking for a lawsuit

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I'm beginning to see that there is some substance in redobit's thesis

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Your suggestion involves simultaneously cancelling games due to time constraints and replaying games already played. That is just all kinds of wrong and just asking for a lawsuit
    Nope, never said to replay any games already played. That would be daft.

Other FAs, rugby, womens leagues have scrapped leagues with a lot more games played than us. That could happen here and if it goes on long enough then re-start. Hardly a mind blowing suggestion in fairness.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Nope, never said to replay any games already played. That would be daft.

Other FAs, rugby, womens leagues have scrapped leagues with a lot more games played than us. That could happen here and if it goes on long enough then re-start. Hardly a mind blowing suggestion in fairness.
    Your suggestion would have Shamrock Rovers playing Dundalk for example three times in the Airtricity League in the year 2020 but only two counting for the league. That is replaying a game. And that is lawsuit central.

They have scrapped leagues because they have more games played. They're not scraping the season to start the same season again because that's ****ing daft.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Your suggestion would have Shamrock Rovers playing Dundalk for example three times in the Airtricity League in the year 2020 but only two counting for the league. That is replaying a game. And that is lawsuit central.

They have scrapped leagues because they have more games played. They're not scraping the season to start the same season again because that's ****ing daft.
    Nope, not saying that either. Replaying a game is playing it twice, while restarting a season is a new set of games. If it goes on too long then clubs/ FAI could well agree to scrap and restart, then the first few games are gone. Its only a suggestion, I have zero fukcing idea if that will happen, nobody does, but better to put all suggestion on the table and see what is the best and fair for all clubs in the LOI. At least if everything is on the table it gives us options based on how long this lasts. Its pretty funny that you can't even fathom or comprehend that the season might start again, but as you said you're biased, so hey no surprise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I've binned the last few posts from this thread. Please get back on topic.

@redobit quit the wumming, I've never had any truck with it and even less so now.

@RathfarnumHoop chill out, you're allowing yourself to get wound up over a bloody forum post.

@MartinHo II if you have a problem with a post, why don't you report it instead of adding to the frustration by bitching about moderation.

@ToberonaTornado thanks for the report but I'm not deleting the thread, it's a perfectly legitmate topic if people stick to it.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Just to get this back on track - what do people think is the minimum amount of games that needs be played for a league to be considered legitimate?

My thoughts from earlier quoted below.

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Finishing after 27 games wouldn't be unusual here anyway, so is doable. Yes, some teams get the tougher away draws, but that's nothing new.

Finishing after 18 games is just about legitimate and acceptable to me, as each team did play each other home and away.

Anything shorter than 18 is not 'proper' in my eyes
    With 18 games, that's another 13/14 games to be played, which could be crammed into...8-10 weeks?

But I also wonder about some of the new signings that arrived in Ireland for this season? Are they still here? Still under contract? Will clubs even have a squad left to play a possible 13/14 games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    It would have to be at least 2 rounds, home and away. Unless of course Shamrck Rovers drop enough points and Dundalk dont well then they can call it after 7 games which would be totally fair and reasonable from a completely unbiased perspective!

Things are looking better for a return in September if not before. It would be reasonable to extend the league in to January if need be and either have a much shortened off-season or start 2021 later and over a period of time move back to the 'normal' schedule.

If player contracts are currently suspended ye'd hope that that they are reinitiated with dates ammended. if it doesnt suit a player to do then a mutual termination happens. For some clubs I suppose the important thing is to get games back on even if it means a weakened side, get gate receipts going again but chucking out a season's target. Money saved by a reduction in a wage bill could be allocated to 2021. I would think that the vast majority of players would want contracts honoured even with changed dates. If clubs are significantly effected in an ongoing manner and try to regnegotiate terms thats where the problems could really kick up in due course.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 08/04/2020 at 1:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    I've been socially distancing myself from COVID-19 discussions - serious ones anyway.

Because things are bad enough like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I've said it already, finish this season out to 27 games. Can't really be any less than that given contracts, season tickets, and sponsorship deals.

If it has to start again in July or August instead of June, so be it. Play it through until January or February 2021. Start the following 2021 season in April or May and play another shortened 27 game season until December. That'll bring us back to another Feb/March start for 2022.

It's another 10 weeks until the 19th June date given by FAI. Realistically, we won't be out of the woods by then, but you'd certainly expect a relaxation of social distancing by then to allow players to resume training.

Looking at a further month, 17th July looks a reasonable restart date. There's 29 available Fridays between then and the end of January 2021. That should be more than enough time to finish off a 27 game season along with FAI Cup, allowing for 3 or 4 midweek fixture dates, and no calling off rounds of the league for cup from quarter final onwards.

Failing that, 14th August resumption allows to end the season end of February instead.

The idea of an 18 game season, where four or five of those games have already been played, should come nowhere near the discussion.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

17. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Don't agree an 18 game season shouldn't be considered. Everything should be considered at the moment.

But the other factor no-one's mentioned is that even if restrictions are lifted in, say, June and the season resumes in late June, it's entirely likely that the virus would just take off again and another lockdown would follow in September for 6 weeks. What happens then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I've said it already, finish this season out to 27 games. Can't really be any less than that given contracts, season tickets, and sponsorship deals.

If it has to start again in July or August instead of June, so be it. Play it through until January or February 2021. Start the following 2021 season in April or May and play another shortened 27 game season until December. That'll bring us back to another Feb/March start for 2022.

It's another 10 weeks until the 19th June date given by FAI. Realistically, we won't be out of the woods by then, but you'd certainly expect a relaxation of social distancing by then to allow players to resume training.

Looking at a further month, 17th July looks a reasonable restart date. There's 29 available Fridays between then and the end of January 2021. That should be more than enough time to finish off a 27 game season along with FAI Cup, allowing for 3 or 4 midweek fixture dates, and no calling off rounds of the league for cup from quarter final onwards.

Failing that, 14th August resumption allows to end the season end of February instead.

The idea of an 18 game season, where four or five of those games have already been played, should come nowhere near the discussion.
    Oh dear - put the hard hat on nigel unless RH has suddenly taken up yoga!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Oh dear - put the hard hat on nigel unless RH has suddenly taken up yoga!
    He's okay, he's not suggesting replaying the games, just that it'd be too short

I still disagree mind, I think clubs will look at it from the pov that every game is money in their pocket and less to pay back for season tickets, but its a valid opinion.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Phew! Hard hat can be put away. I doubt anyone wants a shortened season. I for one would want to play Rovers 4 times to have the maximum chance of overtaking and pulling ahead. With 2 rounds though there is at least balance with one home and away fixtures. That I can see being acceptable to clubs and supporters. There is the issue of losing the value of season tickets, would fans generally go lookng for a 50% refund due to half the games being played. Losing gate receipts and refunding ST holders could be a nail in the coffin for some clubs. Take Bohs where such a large proportion of their tickets are ST, it would be a big hole in the finances if fans insist on refunds. I wouldnt want a refund from my club but how would others feel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    The other way of doing it would be to offer people a reduction for next seasons season ticket based on them missing games this season

24. Thanks From:

Page 15 of 78 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast