Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 29 of 78 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    We will see how other leagues cope with earlier resumptions, and whether Covid19 will just grind them to a halt again.

Even then, those leagues are playing behind closed doors and are likely to be implementing a pretty rigorous testing programme for games, and I'm not sure LOI clubs could take the costs of either. BBC article on the Scottish PL estimating the costs of testing for their remaining games at minimum £100,000 per club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Think we were third highest in Europe with percentage of income related to gate receipts so struggling to see the merits of a restart if it is behind closed doors and ends up breaking most clubs

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Is there still clubs paying 100% of wages ? Shamrock Rovers are paying out 75% I think. There has been nothing from Dundalk about wages has there.

This is how the Premier stands AFAIK.

Bohs: 100% wages
    Cork: Laid off
    Derry: 100% wages
    Dundalk: 100% wages
    Finn Harps: ?
    Pats: Laid off
    Sham Rovers: 75%
    Shels: 100%
    Sligo: Laid off
    Waterford: Laid off

Any updates to this.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    I've tried to figure out what the situation is in the other summer leagues, as some of them are smaller leagues as well who might face similar challenges. Except for Belarus who have continued playing, all of them had their season interrupted or their start of the season delayed. The Faroes seem to be the first ones who get back playing.

Belarus: Playing.
    Estonia: One round played before shutdown.
    Faroes: Start their season this weekend. The islands seem to be Covid-free now, so I would assume they play in front of fans.
    Finland: No matches played yet.
    Georgia: Two rounds played before shutdown.
    Iceland: No matches played yet.
    Kazakhstan: Two and a half rounds played before shutdown.
    Latvia: No matches played yet.
    Lithuania: One round played before shutdown.
    Moldova: No matches played yet.
    Norway: No matches played yet. Apparently starting behind closed doors on 16 June.
    Sweden: No matches played yet. Targeting a start on 14 June with crowds permitted.

It will be interesting to see how the smaller ones among these are trying to get back playing, or whether they write off their seasons eventually.
    If geysir is here: Any update on when Iceland is hoping to start their season?
    Last edited by sidewayspasser; 09/05/2020 at 10:33 AM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewayspasser View Post
    Kazakhstan: Two and a half rounds played before shutdown.
    I know what you mean here, but I like the idea of referees abandoning games at half-time as hacking coughs sweep across the pitch.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    https://youtu.be/3Rh4rKCykmM

A glimpse at what might be coming down the road for us

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    The Swedish decision could be early enough to see if covid trends are affected if September becomes the adjusted season target start. Any spike in infection rates are bound to be watched for closely. Not an exact comparison for a number of reasons but would be an indicator of what could be done! We can only hope that the general public testing system is sorted out as damn all will change for so called non-essential industry like sport. Actually another thing will be interesting is if/when restrictions start being lifted on pubs/clubs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Is there still clubs paying 100% of wages ? Shamrock Rovers are paying out 75% I think. There has been nothing from Dundalk about wages has there.

This is how the Premier stands AFAIK.

Bohs: 100% wages
    Cork: Laid off
    Derry: 100% wages
    Dundalk: 100% wages
    Finn Harps: ?
    Pats: Laid off
    Sham Rovers: 75%
    Shels: 100%
    Sligo: Laid off
    Waterford: Laid off

Any updates to this.
    Did you not just ask and answer your own Q ? Anyway Dundalk's owners p6 confirmed in March they would continue pay full wages for the squad, mgt and admin staff, they didn't confirm for how long though.

Personally, I would have put them on 75%, most in any other industry who are WFH are doing full WFH and get 100% wages, not so for a footballer.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I felt Uachtarán GAA spoke well on telly last, pointing out games without fans is not an option really. Because of the size of GAA grounds games with reduced crowds is more realistic. This all depends on government allowing this to happen. October for the championship was the timescale he has in mind.
    A winter season with small crowds spectating keeping a distance from each would be a good target for the league of Ireland ?

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlay Harp View Post
    I'm sure Galway would love to have to travel to Derry and Ballybofey in two buses instead of the likes of Athlone and Longford.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    According to a report the other day it's a 50/50 split with the Premier clubs on behind closed doors.

Waterford, Pat's, Sligo, Harps and Cork have pretty much said they're against it.

So that leaves the 4 European clubs and Shels, presumably, who want to play BCD.

Where are Shels getting all their money from?

Could the Premier resume with only 5 clubs if the other 5 refuse to play...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Did you not just ask and answer your own Q ? Anyway Dundalk's owners p6 confirmed in March they would continue pay full wages for the squad, mgt and admin staff, they didn't confirm for how long though.

Personally, I would have put them on 75%, most in any other industry who are WFH are doing full WFH and get 100% wages, not so for a footballer.
    I clearly stated AFAIK. The assumption of Dundalk paying 100% was based on their strong financial position.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    According to a report the other day it's a 50/50 split with the Premier clubs on behind closed doors.

Waterford, Pat's, Sligo, Harps and Cork have pretty much said they're against it.

So that leaves the 4 European clubs and Shels, presumably, who want to play BCD.

Where are Shels getting all their money from?

Could the Premier resume with only 5 clubs if the other 5 refuse to play...
    The FAI or other LOI clubs can't make 5 clubs (or even 1 club for that matter) play behind closed doors if it means that a club cant sustain their costs. If all clubs can't agree or if it can't come back in the same guile as the first 4 or 5 games then it will likely go one way, which is scrapping it. Even if all clubs could agree to BHD there will definitely be conditions for that to happen, like teams reducing their budget in line with crowds BHD for example, which would not be the same scenario that clubs started the season i.e. a different league!. Some clubs that are pro BHD could form a mini league of course, but that would be an absolute joke really.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Best start to a season for us in about a thousand years, (probably closer to 25) but to be honest If one club wants season cancelled I think its a time we should all stick together and maybe go that way, I'd be 100% against empty stadiums just to get the league finished, last thing we need is clubs going to the wall, it's looking very likely that uefa are going to cancel the CL & EL qualifiers and not payout so are we all not in the same boat now, we have to remember that we all kinda rely on each other to survive. As much as we hate each other we are all the one LOI family, and while Rovers and Dundalk seem OK money wise, you have to look back and think it's not that long ago that we had buckets out at games too, what comes around goes around, we need to have a unified approach to this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    I had heard and read the opposite on paying out if qualifiers were culled due to the very likely risk of some club looking at the legalities especially if there is a straight to group stage going to happen. There was also the possibility that if the 19/20 European comps are not played out then the remaining unplayed for prize money could be reallocated but remaining clubs are looking for the money to be shared omong them. Neither are entirely unreasonable but if UEFA's cash reserves take a battering then the most likely thing imo is that the money could be carried over for 20/21 and plug the financial hole of lost tv revenue etc.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 13/05/2020 at 2:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    I clearly stated AFAIK. The assumption of Dundalk paying 100% was based on their strong financial position.
    https://www.dundalkfc.com/a-message-...-of-directors/

Doesn't state for how long though.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    We have no rights to sell for streaming, according to Neil O'Riordan's article today, which would kill off generating any money from that avenue this year.

The source said: “You cannot just start streaming games with a new partner if you have contracts in place. You would have to buy them out, at least in part.

“But why would those companies give up their rights at a time like this when everyone wants live content? They would surely want to show those matches themselves under the terms of the existing deals."
    Worth pointing out Niall Quinn rubbished this on LOI weekly.

It's something that 99% of suspected for fairly obvious reasons but good to have it confirmed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Does the LOI have an official tv deal , I always thought the showing of games was only ad hoc.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Does the LOI have an official tv deal , I always thought the showing of games was only ad hoc.
    I think there is with RTE and Eir sport and then deal with is it Track Champ or something comparable to online matches?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 29 of 78 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast