Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 23 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Good suggestion from Ollie Horgan to give winter soccer a go for a season. Overall the switch to summer I suppose has been beneficial, but hasn't really been a game changer as some might have expected.

It is worrying how little knowledge/experience of Irish soccer there is among many of those in charge of the FAI at present. Good PR alone may not be enough in what will be difficult times for the league/grassroots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think in fairness the league have put five options on the table and asked clubs to come up with a rough idea of cost/exposure.

It's definitely an option - and if it's not a viable one, then it won't go ahead.

I presume.
    This in itself is a development in that clubs are being given options rather than just being dictated to with an 'agree or else'.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    A lot will depend on the various studies and what happens in the countries where measures are relaxed earlier. There seems to be some evidence that catching the virus in the open air is extremely unlikely, which increases the chances of outdoor sports being among the first things approved for resumption. Obviously there would be limited crowds and distancing still in place, and there has to be consideration for how difficult that would be in dressing rooms too, which wouldn't all be very spacious. Maybe go back to junior league style, get changed on the sideline and head home for your shower after! Hard to see anything before September either way.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Winter league and full pyramid structure (oh hey legendz)?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Eredivisie scrapped for the season, no champions or relegation. The teams in top spots will go into Europe, pending UEFA approval.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Heard a mad story the other day about when we were in Strokestown Rd in the early days we hadnt a dressing room and players had to change in our old grounds at Abbeycarton and got bussed up to it. Back then there was rope on the sides in Mullogher!
    Mad story in these times that we are in!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    Interesting to look at the case numbers, as the current lockdown ends next week.

The lockdown is having some impact in that we're not seeing exponential growth and ICU capacity seems to be coping, which is good news.

But the new case numbers aren't really declining either. There's a slight downward trend, but 700 cases today is the second-highest total over the past eight days.

I can't see much - if any - in the way of relaxed restrictions by the end of next week. At a complete guess, I'd say that things will continue substantially the same for another three weeks. So that would bring us up to 24th May, allow say two weeks for "pre-season", and that brings you to the mid-season break, which is gameweek 22 in the Premier. We're 17 matches behind. The First Division is 15 matches behind.

That's the very optimistic view of course that football can return when restrictions are lifted, which I don't think it can. It's increasingly looking like the entire season could be written off. Certainly it's getting closer to a time when that call is going to have to be made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Interesting to look at the case numbers, as the current lockdown ends next week.

The lockdown is having some impact in that we're not seeing exponential growth and ICU capacity seems to be coping, which is good news.

But the new case numbers aren't really declining either. There's a slight downward trend, but 700 cases today is the second-highest total over the past eight days.

I can't see much - if any - in the way of relaxed restrictions by the end of next week. At a complete guess, I'd say that things will continue substantially the same for another three weeks. So that would bring us up to 24th May, allow say two weeks for "pre-season", and that brings you to the mid-season break, which is gameweek 22 in the Premier. We're 17 matches behind. The First Division is 15 matches behind.

That's the very optimistic view of course that football can return when restrictions are lifted, which I don't think it can. It's increasingly looking like the entire season could be written off. Certainly it's getting closer to a time when that call is going to have to be made.
    Reckon they will have to offer some slight easing of restrictions surely the mental health toll this is causing will mount up if severe restrictions last much longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    There are some great fundraising efforts going on at Pats. The club have launched Patreon site with videos and interview with ex players. It is bringing in over a grand a month at the moment and a fan has started a go fund me that has already passed its target of seven thousand. Is there something going on at other clubs ? I read something about Bohs selling bricks from their dressing room.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    There are some great fundraising efforts going on at Pats. The club have launched Patreon site with videos and interview with ex players. It is bringing in over a grand a month at the moment and a fan has started a go fund me that has already passed its target of seven thousand. Is there something going on at other clubs ? I read something about Bohs selling bricks from their dressing room.
    Rovers fans set up a go fund me a few days ago. Its €9,250 at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    That'd be at least the third time Bohs will have flogged their ground, Brick by brick this time literally.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    Latest update on restrictions - all hypothetical at the moment, but I'd say it's based on a good source and seems rational:

It is believed Taoiseach Leo Varadkar will announce the lifting of restrictions in three phases, with the first seeing few changes to existing rules but the second allowing more people to return to work.

During the second phase, people will be allowed to return to their workplace if social distancing two-metre rules can be observed.

This may allow fast-food chains to re-open but only for takeaway meals.

A third phase is expected by early June which would allow those who have limited interactions with colleagues to return to work.

However, it's understood those who can work remotely may be asked to do so until September.
    It's hard to see how footballers would come under those phases to be honest. Is the LoI now on hiatus until September?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Latest update on restrictions - all hypothetical at the moment, but I'd say it's based on a good source and seems rational:

It's hard to see how footballers would come under those phases to be honest. Is the LoI now on hiatus until September?
    If that is the new plan the pretence of a June restart for the league should be dropped ASAP.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I can’t see the live streaming angle working. It would only be beneficial to some clubs if all streaming revenue was distributed from a communal pot and I’d say that’s a non runner. I’d suspect that Quinn is just stalling to see what the government, Fifa/Uefa will do for the league. The unfortunate thing is that in unprecedented times we have been found to have no options to continue, if normality can’t resume either can the LOI.
    Viable or not it has to be looked at to determine if it is or not you can't just dismiss it or jump straight into it. So the FAI are doing the right thing by putting every option on the table.

It'd worth looking into anyway with a view to potential use in the future. Might not be viable to do just now with all the other factors at play but at least by the end of this every club will have an idea of the work and funds needed to do it in the future which could be useful with regards to future TV deals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Good piece in the Dundalk Democrat where the CEO has outlined the options and mentioned a few thing they were exploring, one being live streaming. The only possible way that football return even behind closed doors is if anyone involved is tested before and regularly after - I think it was mentioned already. Thats a good chunk of lab capacity and cost for clubs. Pity the rapid testing system developed is such a hit or miss with results and it could have been a big help. We are all hoping for a return asap but we may be without some clubs by the time of a restart without some support and coming up with an alternative to gate receipt income. Any ideas bar live streaming and gofundme?

Its at times like this that you realise the importance of membership type schemes as crucial generally consistant income and its undoubtedly missed by Dundalk FC!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Maybe we just wait until we can come back properly?

I see no upside whatsoever to the behind closed doors option. Putting players and their families at risk, feck all income, it will look and sound rubbish even if streamed, frankly it's a dreadful, dreadful idea and it worries me that anyone in the FAI thinks it's remotely a runner.

If we rush back and cause a cluster or clusters it would rightly make us look like irresponsible clowns.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    From the Indo, don't think it's paywalled.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-39164629.html
    All you zombies tweet tweet tweet.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Will all players have to keep 2 metres from each other😳

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
    Will all players have to keep 2 metres from each other
    Platini would be happy. He'd finally get his non-contact sport.

Page 23 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast