Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    No club is immune to this but get the vibe from the media that Cork & Sligo are particularly concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    No club is immune to this but get the vibe from the media that Cork & Sligo are particularly concerned.
    Particularly Cork, having had to sell off player tranfer clauses to pay off a tax bill just to start the season. It'd cost the FAI millions to reimburse 20 clubs, particularly if the season is abandoned/voided/suspended for far longer than these two weeks. And there's a better chance of a sunny settled summer than that happening given the FAI's own finances. Worrying times.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Don't forget the implications of a cancelled Euros too - aren't some clubs making extra money off that by renting out their grounds?

I think it's why UCD have no home games in May/June.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Closures running beyond the 29th of March is a real possibility now. There is a method to the madness of the UK response in this regard, even if their models seem to callously want to promote herd immunity at the cost of countless lives in high risk categories - could be the quickest route back to normality. End of March is a best case scenario with a dose of wishful thinking which definitely wont happen (a drip feed of bad news tactic?) if people are dead set to ignore sound advice as exampled above. It could be in the interest of players to agree deferrment of payments that they may get down the line as opposed to definitely wont get if a club is pushed out of business and go the route of government led welfare payments for employees of businesses in trouble in the interim. PFAI imo should be leading on advice on support eg debt breaks rather than apparent unrealistic 800k loans to fill the unknown gap of end cost in entirety and on behalf of a sort of third party in the clubs? Maybe they are doing this but they are not that well known for pragmatism in the past. I dont see SIPTU etc looking to borrow money to pay others wage bill for their members...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Don't forget the implications of a cancelled Euros too - aren't some clubs making extra money off that by renting out their grounds?

I think it's why UCD have no home games in May/June.
    UCD are likely to be the safest of all clubs in this tbh. Last club standing and its Champions League football!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    UCD are likely to be the safest of all clubs in this tbh. Last club standing and its Champions League football!
    Remember hearing somewhere that the funds the college itself provides the club to run itself are a lot less than what people think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    That was probably Collie O'Neill's interview on the LoI Weekly podcast?

We're probably safer than most clubs in fairness - fairly low cost base and the college is effectively a wealthy backer (though it's not as if UCD the college are financially sound either)

But we wouldn't be the only club to have Euro 2020 money budgeted, so I don't think this is just a UCD issue.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    That was probably Collie O'Neill's interview on the LoI Weekly podcast?

We're probably safer than most clubs in fairness - fairly low cost base and the college is effectively a wealthy backer (though it's not as if UCD the college are financially sound either)

But we wouldn't be the only club to have Euro 2020 money budgeted, so I don't think this is just a UCD issue.
    Is there many loi clubs in Dublin that have Euro 2020 money budgeted I had completely forgotten about this?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    UCD seems to be the main one with no home games scheduled prior and during Euro2020. I dont recall other clubs having such harsh scheduling so would indicate others not giving up their pitch for an international side in camp. Maybe over a day or 2 prior to a game in the Aviva? Thats not to say that postponement of Euro2020 wouldnt have financial implications elswhere both withinn football and the FAI who'd see it as badly need few pay days and how many hotel bookings binned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    There was a bit on the news about bar staff getting the dole temporarily due to the shutdown , can this apply to LOI clubs. It is a similar situation for a football club to a pub in terms that their ability to operate and earn has been distributed by the shut down. I’m sure plenty of bar staff have contracts that won’t be honoured during this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    The universities here have grown dependent on non-EU student fees since their core grants from the government were cut a decade ago and never restored. Those students aren't going to turn up in the usual numbers in September. The universities here will be hurting financially. I doubt UCD AFC can depend on there being much help to call on. They'll need the same help as any other club here. I expect they have a big bill in September with all the scholarship students fees due, so that'll be the crunch point in terms of cash flow. Unless they just tear up all the contracts, which I would think is a very plausible scenario. The club might finish the season as complete amateurs. If there is an end to the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    There was a bit on the news about bar staff getting the dole temporarily due to the shutdown , can this apply to LOI clubs. It is a similar situation for a football club to a pub in terms that their ability to operate and earn has been distributed by the shut down. I’m sure plenty of bar staff have contracts that won’t be honoured during this.
    Bar staff are effectively on zero-hour contracts on an hourly rate. The LOI players will have a 40 week contract with a specified amount being made. I'd say there'd be a massive difference in both contracts.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Bar staff are effectively on zero-hour contracts on an hourly rate. The LOI players will have a 40 week contract with a specified amount being made. I'd say there'd be a massive difference in both contracts.
    That's true. I'm sure there's a way in this sort of situation. A redundancy, maybe, if nothing else. An organisation with no scheduled matches has no need of a footballer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Redundancy doesn't kick in until you're two years with an employer. That'll be 90 of LoI footballers out of that net.

It really isn't going to be easy to get though all this financially - but of course it's not going to be just footballers and barstaff. It's going to be a lot of people.

And I'd say they still wouldn't trade with shop assistants or medical staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Tonight will be a 7th on the spin as we try to clear the boards of routine and emergency cases that land in, running off a 24/7 roster. The 'shutdown' to non covid cases in the North is to be ramped up the end of next week Throughput has been huge and makes ye wonder how half the effort a couple of times year to clear waiting lists cant happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Redundancy doesn't kick in until you're two years with an employer. That'll be 90 of LoI footballers out of that net.
    So you're saying clubs can cut them loose for free? Sucks for the players, but may be the only way for the clubs not to rack up debts if the league is suspended for a significant period.

Or maybe you mean the clubs can't use that mechanism at all? Which has its own drawbacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Well anyone still on probation (employed for less than 11 months, unless advised they've passed probation) in any job can be let go pretty much immediately.

And yeah, if you make someone redundant - which explicitly has to be because the job doesn't exist any more, not because you want to change the person in the role - can be cut loose with no redundancy as well. That's general employment law, not just LoI. I don't know how 39 week contracts work - are you back to square 1 in terms of length of service if you "leave" the club during pre-season and sign back up in Feb?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    The universities here have grown dependent on non-EU student fees since their core grants from the government were cut a decade ago and never restored. Those students aren't going to turn up in the usual numbers in September. The universities here will be hurting financially. I doubt UCD AFC can depend on there being much help to call on. They'll need the same help as any other club here. I expect they have a big bill in September with all the scholarship students fees due, so that'll be the crunch point in terms of cash flow. Unless they just tear up all the contracts, which I would think is a very plausible scenario. The club might finish the season as complete amateurs. If there is an end to the season.
    UCD will be grand. The money from the uni effectively is, for the most part, just written off against the scholarships they give out, its all very academic the only real question is how many of each scholarship they choose to award.

The only stuff UCD need external cash for is stuff like food, transport, kit, equipment. Most of which has either been sorted already or is only needed on match day so if they're needed you can reasonably assume there'll be income as closed doors games seem to be off the table.

As for the amateurs bit for all extensive purposes UCD players are amateurs in that they don't actually get paid any cash for playing football but their contracts are more complex than most other football clubs through a mix of the summer season and scholarship system.
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 16/03/2020 at 2:54 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    I think that's largely right in fairness.

Meanwhile, Drogheda have stopped payments to their squad. Unfortunate, if entirely understandable. If clubs don't have the money, they can't pay it over.

23. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast