Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashbournebohs View Post
    Will they open for 4% ��
    This in unnecessary, petty and badminded.

Well done sir, well done indeed.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

2. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Will they open for 4% 
    Reported for abuse.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Reported for abuse.
    To the Revenue Commissioners?

5. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    To the Revenue Commissioners?
    Well I was going to say the GAA but maybe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Will they open for 4% 😂
    Oh you did not!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    So the latest restrictions mean I can sit inside in a boozer with no real restrictions likely, but can't sit outdoors in the fresh air watching football. Brilliant joined up thinking there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    So the latest restrictions mean I can sit inside in a boozer with no real restrictions likely, but can't sit outdoors in the fresh air watching football. Brilliant joined up thinking there.
    I’d expect they’ll row back on this as it just does not make sense.
    Drogheda United in this together

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Looking forward to watching games in Dalymount in one of the three bars over a few pints.Pity I wont be permitted to go out in the fresh air to actually watch the match.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Oh, but you're forgetting the time limit on the pub visit. Just over 90 minutes, isn't it?

It's easy to be impatient, but the more stuff they reopen, the more likely that we'll have to row back on some of it. We've had over a year of this ****. Let's not get impatient just because the end is in sight. Another month or two should, short of a surge in cases, see a massive move back towards normality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Oh, but you're forgetting the time limit on the pub visit. Just over 90 minutes, isn't it?

It's easy to be impatient, but the more stuff they reopen, the more likely that we'll have to row back on some of it. We've had over a year of this ****. Let's not get impatient just because the end is in sight. Another month or two should, short of a surge in cases, see a massive move back towards normality.
    I understand the need for caution but it makes no sense that in July I can go to the cinema that has absolutely no ventilation and then head inside to a pub with the same issue but I can’t sit in a stand/terrace in the open air in front of a big field.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    With the conduct of some GAA fans in Lockdown 1 and people gathering at LoI grounds more recently, be it inside or out, maintaining social distancing in a football ground is, or seen as a different challenge than a cinema or pub. 200 people could and should probably be able to attend games after the break as the logic above is sound, but football crowds are considered to be more likely not to comply with instructions than families at the cinema. The untouchable GAA was stripped of elite sport category (regardless of how it was spun) due to the conduct of clubs, counties and supporters for context. But I do think the numbers would be manageable, restricted to season ticket holders/members (is that fair?) so little doubt about traceability if needed - I do get that people could provide bogus names and address at pubs et al too (people dont want to end up quarantining so fake details used to thow off the scent), and one reason why debit card only purchases was on the table as a way to shore up proof of identity & not having to have people lose the plot by being asked to carry ID etc etc. Its just more straight forward to wait a month and have an additional 1.6m vaccinated people by HSE projections....yeah I know... even half that number by early July would put a massive dent in risk, and to dodge the curve ball cyber attack type stuff will help.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 28/05/2021 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I understand the need for caution but it makes no sense that in July I can go to the cinema that has absolutely no ventilation and then head inside to a pub with the same issue but I can’t sit in a stand/terrace in the open air in front of a big field.
    Each thing we reopen carries some risk. The government isn't reopening things in order of least risk to most, but distorting that order to facilitate things that are popular or economically important, neither of which the LoI is. Going to the shop is riskier than sitting in a stadium, but I'm happy they prioritised my ability to buy food over seeing mediocre football. My point is that you can disagree with the order in which they're reopening things, but just saying A is riskier than B, so B should reopen first is a nonsense.

Cinema is incredibly popular here. Pubs are even more so. Hotels generate a lot of revenue and employment. The LoI? **** no. There's something on one of the news sites this morning about them looking into 25k at the All Ireland Finals, so it's not like they're not thinking about sport.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    I’d expect they’ll row back on this as it just does not make sense.
    Things not making any sense hasn't seemed an obstacle to introducing certain rules for a good while now. I cant see attendances at sport getting dispensation from the madness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers v Finn Harps and Cork City against Cabinteely on the 11th of June to be used as pilot events for the return of crowds,great to see some progress on this....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Shamrock Rovers v Finn Harps and Cork City against Cabinteely on the 11th of June to be used as pilot events for the return of crowds,great to see some progress on this....
    Also Shamrock Rovers V Drogs as a further "pilot" for the same home venue according to Indo. A scientific led choice no doubt, can home support aid a struggling team?...and repeat just to make sure dontcha know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Also Shamrock Rovers V Drogs as a further "pilot" for the same home venue according to Indo. A scientific led choice no doubt, can home support aid a struggling team?...and repeat just to make sure dontcha know.
    I know our off-site HQ in Abbotstown would have found a reason to do this anyway but it does make sense to use the biggest venue in the LOI to be fair to go with the biggest numbers.
    i assume it will be home fans only (thats what we told them anyway )

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I know our off-site HQ in Abbotstown would have found a reason to do this anyway but it does make sense to use the biggest venue in the LOI to be fair to go with the biggest numbers.
    i assume it will be home fans only (thats what we told them anyway )
    Would have made sense to have a third pilot site in a smaller stadium rather than TC or SDCC. Your Abbotstown sub office must be concerned at your recent form, nothing that a couple of additional bizarre international call ups couldn`t fix?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Tallaght is probably the easiest ground to manage so Im not sure how a successful trial there is transferable to Oriel Park for example, unless its a ticking box exercise and what works at one ground passes all other grounds!?

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I would have thought that having a pilot in a small and awkward ground might be more beneficial as if it works there then it can be easily transferred to the bigger grounds. At least there is some progress.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Would have made sense to have a third pilot site in a smaller stadium rather than TC or SDCC. Your Abbotstown sub office must be concerned at your recent form, nothing that a couple of additional bizarre international call ups couldn`t fix?
    Ah sure NDCC will be available in a few years

Page 73 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast