Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1551

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    'Putting words in other people's mouths'? What? I haven't done this AT ALL. .
    It is exactly what your post 1345 was doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Im suggesting that we have 1.2 milion people vaccinated in this country and things need to be relaxed for these people sooner rather than later. 10,000 of the 1.2 million who have received a shot would seem a reasonable approach if it can work.
    The 'if' answers the question imo, if there is an if then we are not ready even for reduced capacity games. As for whether any fans should be at Euro20 games elsewhere, I personally think no. I think UEFA are thinking more about the success of the tournament than the success of a pan-European suppression of the virus but each to their own. Im glad that we have decided not to host games. We will look back in due course and know whether the gamble was worth it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Some thoughtful answers there. I was interested to know how people felt about the issue. - Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    One bit I didn't understand:

Chambers also indicated that it is unlikely that proof of vaccination will be required of fans hoping to attend these events.
    “We wouldn’t like to exclude children from attending a game,” he explained.

Surely the two needn't be mutually exclusive?

That is, allow vaccinated adults to bring as many children as they like. Or even permit unaccompanied children to attend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    I suppose the point is if you get to a stage where all adults are vaccinated, then you may as well start to open up even though technically under 18s - a large part of the population - are unvaccinated but are also far less affected by covid if they do get it. So if they're not vaccinated, but likely to be unaffected, and there's no unvaccinated people to transmit covid to, then the proposal makes sense I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I suppose the point is if you get to a stage where all adults are vaccinated, then you may as well start to open up even though technically under 18s - a large part of the population - are unvaccinated but are also far less affected by covid if they do get it. So if they're not vaccinated, but likely to be unaffected, and there's no unvaccinated people to transmit covid to, then the proposal makes sense I think.
    All adults being offered the vaccine is not the same thing as all adults actually being vaccinated, which you'll never achieve.

So why wait until you reach the all adults being offered stage before letting in children?

After all, if you've (unvaccinated) kids going to school and engaging in other activities, including playing the game themselves etc, then why stop them standing on an open terrace on a summer evening in their local LOI club?

Then take this a step further by allowing vaccinated adults to take children, until such time as the vaccine has been offered to all adults, at which point you allow everyone back (assuming the virus is under control and herd immunity has been achieved).

Such a step-by-step approach has the added advantage of allowing the authorities to monitor the situation, and ease or toughen the restrictions as the data allows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Children aren't being stopped from attending games.

The problem with requiring a vaccination cert or similar is (I imagine) practicality. Queues at the turnstiles as vaccine certs are checked. Extra training for stewards to recognise vaccine certs (and ensure they belong to the person presenting them) and fakes. Where does the liability lie if someone gets into a ground while unvaccinates and catches covid?

This thing is nasty, and for the sake of an extra couple of months' delay, is it worth all that trouble? OK, you'll probably not get to all adults vaccinated, but if you get to 98%, you've herd immunity and should be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Hopefully test events are in the works as is happening in the Netherlands and Spain and we can get a percentage of fans back in grounds before long....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    All adults being offered the vaccine is not the same thing as all adults actually being vaccinated, which you'll never achieve.
    True but there are very different implications for people choosing not to being vaccinated and and not being offered a vaccine in terms of potential fallout.

So why wait until you reach the all adults being offered stage before letting in children?
    Children are carriers, will spread to each other albeit not infected or practically symptomless so ye dont want them interacting and then going back out to an unvaccinated community.

After all, if you've (unvaccinated) kids going to school and engaging in other activities, including playing the game themselves etc, then why stop them standing on an open terrace on a summer evening in their local LOI club?
    The main difference is in the ability to trace an outbreak and intervene. Kids in schools are in pods so one tests positive their contacts are limited and their families et al tested and head off an outbreak. Not so easy to do if you have a potential couple of thousand people exposed to the risk of infection and heading off back throughout all of a community.

Such a step-by-step approach has the added advantage of allowing the authorities to monitor the situation, and ease or toughen the restrictions as the data allows.
    A step by step approach will likely happen but when a greater proportion of the population is vaccinated, at least those over 50 and any at risk groups eg those with controlled asthma (estimated as 1 in 3 people in this country) a significant at risk group. So as yet too early to start introducing a process of the return of crowds. Not sure if this fully addresses the points made but mainly along with making sure a health system is not overwhelmed by an outbreak, there is also need to keep the ability to trace outbreaks and contacts manageable - kids (probably unfairly tbh) are seen as riskier vectors among a large crowd.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Looking very promising with fans coming back to matches after July 5th. That article doesnt mention how much capacity will be allowed though like would it be like wot they did in the UK or not?. I didnt subsribe to full article.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    The article isn't behind a paywall, Martinho. That's all the detail they have:
    "July 5: Possible pilot scheme for return of fans"

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Large group of Harp’s fans congregated outside again last night watching the match - wtf is wrong with them and more importantly why don’t the Gardai intervene and make them move on-.
    Donegal has by far highest number of cases per head and it’s almost like the people of Donegal are trying to ensure we remain in a permanent state of lockdown - are they just stupid ? Have they no social conscience ? etc.
    Time to bring in severe sanctions on all ignoramuses nationwide who are wilfully threatening the health and also financial well-being of the nation.... it’s not just Ollie that deserved a red card !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Ireland is currently still in an acceptable position when it comes to Covid and football. In comparison, India is doing very badly.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Large group of Harp’s fans congregated outside again last night watching the match - wtf is wrong with them and more importantly why don’t the Gardai intervene and make them move on-.
    Donegal has by far highest number of cases per head and it’s almost like the people of Donegal are trying to ensure we remain in a permanent state of lockdown - are they just stupid ? Have they no social conscience ? etc.
    Time to bring in severe sanctions on all ignoramuses nationwide who are wilfully threatening the health and also financial well-being of the nation.... it’s not just Ollie that deserved a red card !!
    I dont think it helps that parts of Co Donegal are so close to the border. I know Lifford is a stones throw from Strabane. But its no excuse you dont see it in other counties close to the border.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    I mentioned this on here before and got it in the neck (expected) from Harps fans, not because it’s Harps, you could say the same about the lads at Dundalk with the flares, or the lads on the wall at the Brandy.

Go home and stream it ffs. It’s only a fiver or 4 quid. I want to get over and see games again sooner rather than later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    I mentioned this on here before and got it in the neck (expected) from Harps fans, not because it’s Harps, you could say the same about the lads at Dundalk with the flares, or the lads on the wall at the Brandy.

Go home and stream it ffs. It’s only a fiver or 4 quid. I want to get over and see games again sooner rather than later.
    There was also a small number of Rovers fans who travelled and watched the match last Fri alongside the Harps fans - brain dead behaviour and each of them should be identified if possible and given a very long ban from Tallaght whenever crowds are allowed back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post

Big crowd outside the Brandywell tonight. Hope you weren't part of the 50 or 60 people gathered tightly together with no masks on tonight..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Big crowd outside the Brandywell tonight. Hope you weren't part of the 50 or 60 people gathered tightly together with no masks on tonight..

Have to hand it to Foley for giving it large celebrating in front of them when he scored the winner.
    I always love a bit of player engagement with opposition fans, even laughed at HOOOOOban rubbing his belly in Tallaght when he scored last year as the fans had been slagging him about his "physique"

Page 69 of 78 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast