Page 67 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1551

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Our current rates don't really mean we should have 15k people in Lansdowne Road this summer in fairness.

We allowed people to meet up at home over Christmas and within three weeks the ICU wards were full. This thing can still blow up quite rapidly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56805604

Despite the fact that 'the Republic of Ireland has one of Europe's lowest incidence rates of Covid-19'.
    given we had the highest in the world only back in January you cant blame the people in power for being cautious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    It was going to be a bit of a sickner to see those games in Dublin and not being involved so not too bothered. Maybe some badly needed revenue for the FAI but risks out weigh that.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 21/04/2021 at 4:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    How much do the FAI stand to miss out on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I dont know tbh but cant see it being less than €2m for 4 games regardless of crowds.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    When they talk about 25% capacity is that just locals from that country. Or does it mean a portion of away fans too.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I presume it means 10000 people in a 40000 capacity stadium

How tickets are divvied up, I don't know, though cancellations will help

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I presume it means 10000 people in a 40000 capacity stadium

How tickets are divvied up, I don't know, though cancellations will help
    Thanks I get how 25% capacity works.

What I'm wondering are UEFA expecting that people outside your country can go to the game. Whatever about having a stadium with people from Ireland. Having away fans travelling to, isolating, getting tested, accommodation could be a stumbling block too.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Oops! I was wondering alright; seemed a strange question

I guess once they sell the tickets, they don't care who gets them? So if 10k Irish people buy Aviva tickets, that would allow a game to go ahead with no away fans. That's a guess though, although the Olympics are being held on that basis. I can't see international travel being back to normal in what - six weeks' time? And then where are people going to stay if hotels are still closed?

Don't envy UEFA on this tbh. It's not easy.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 21/04/2021 at 5:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    given we had the highest in the world only back in January you cant blame the people in power for being cautious.
    We've been in lockdown for 4 straight months. UEFA can go **** itself if it thinks it's ahead of the small businesses that have been closed for most of the past 13 months in the queue.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    We've been in lockdown for 4 straight months. UEFA can go **** itself if it thinks it's ahead of the small businesses that have been closed for most of the past 13 months in the queue.
    Dead right.

A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Oops! I was wondering alright; seemed a strange question

I guess once they sell the tickets, they don't care who gets them? So if 10k Irish people buy Aviva tickets, that would allow a game to go ahead with no away fans. That's a guess though, although the Olympics are being held on that basis. I can't see international travel being back to normal in what - six weeks' time? And then where are people going to stay if hotels are still closed?

Don't envy UEFA on this tbh. It's not easy.
    Naw, it isnt just Irish fans. it was expected that there would be allocations to the countries involved which is the main stumbling block. Potentially quarantine for fans weeks in advance of a game for which exemptions were sought so no chance. Capacity doesn't exist for those that may have been willing to quarantine so that is that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Our current rates don't really mean we should have 15k people in Lansdowne Road this summer in fairness.

We allowed people to meet up at home over Christmas and within three weeks the ICU wards were full. This thing can still blow up quite rapidly.
    There's a difference between respiratory infections (of which Covid is obviously one) in the middle of winter, when they're at a very high level, and the middle of summer. Also, at the Euros, people will be outside in huge stadiums, not congregating at home in their houses with the windows closed. I'd be amazed if modest crowds at stadiums during the Euros resulted in cases going up. These will not be super spreader events. The huge Black Lives protests last summer didn't lead to a surge in infections. If I'm wrong, I'll hold my hands up and admit it, but I don't expect to be. I think the government have made the wrong decision on this. Of course, if they turn out to be wrong, they won't say anything about it. ( I also suspect, if this was Ireland playing at the Aviva, people might feel differently).

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    If I'm wrong, I'll hold my hands up and admit it, but I don't expect to be.
    That's not really a realistic way to deal with a really nasty virus which has already clogged up ICU wards in various countries in fairness. And that's before factoring in the rise in variants, particularly the new Indian variant.

Your post is also long on supposition and short on actual evidence in fairness. EL/CL games in Milan in March were classed as super-spreader events (albeit in mostly full stadia, but even with 15k, you've plenty of mingling outside the ground, and we've more transmissible variants now), and it's worth noting that in the six weeks after the end of May (when BLM protests started in the US), cases there quadrupled. There'd be lots of reasons for that of course, but can you really rule out the mass protests?

I'm with John83 on this tbh - we've waited far too long to re-open the country because of this, and there's no reason for the Euros to jump the queue and potentially shut everything down again
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 22/04/2021 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Vacinated people should be allowed attend LOI matches.
    The Government are so afraid of social media and the likes of the Shinners they are afraid to make even obvious decisons on reopening.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    'Actual evidence'? It's very evident that the virus is at it's worst in winter and less lethal in summer. NOBODY disagrees with that. And March is not high summer.
    As I say, if I'm wrong about this I'll happily admit it.
    We shall see...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Vacinated people should be allowed attend LOI matches.
    The Government are so afraid of social media and the likes of the Shinners they are afraid to make even obvious decisons on reopening.
    I agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    'Actual evidence'? It's very evident that the virus is at it's worst in winter and less lethal in summer. NOBODY disagrees with that. And March is not high summer.
    Define "less lethal"? Because what we saw in Milan last March - which wasn't high summer, but was hardly winter either - was fairly lethal all the same. And India, most of which doesn't even have what we'd call a winter, is suffering quite badly at the moment. Is your "less lethal" enough of a reassurance to risk a huge surge again? It's all very easy for a random punter on the internet to say "If I'm wrong, I'll happily admit it", but for real life stuff, I'm happy to trust to medical experts, who are still advising caution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    That's not really a realistic way to deal with a really nasty virus which has already clogged up ICU wards in various countries in fairness. And that's before factoring in the rise in variants, particularly the new Indian variant.

Your post is also long on supposition and short on actual evidence in fairness. EL/CL games in Milan in March were classed as super-spreader events (albeit in mostly full stadia, but even with 15k, you've plenty of mingling outside the ground, and we've more transmissible variants now), and it's worth noting that in the six weeks after the end of May (when BLM protests started in the US), cases there quadrupled. There'd be lots of reasons for that of course, but can you really rule out the mass protests?

I'm with John83 on this tbh - we've waited far too long to re-open the country because of this, and there's no reason for the Euros to jump the queue and potentially shut everything down again
    And concerns about the efficacy of vaccinations against them. Far too many unknowns to risk it. When it comes to people wanting a quicker return to normality why would you host an event that there is even the slightest chance that it could delay the restoration of an open society. Wait and see how things pan out after other countries have played guinea pigs and base decisions on evidence across the board.

Time of the year makes no difference to covid-19 it is just as lethal and transmissible in June as it is in January. I think there may be some confusion here on seasonal concerns - Covid-19 on top of usual winter season pressures on the health system was raised as a worry in potentially overwhelming services, not that covid-19 itself changes throughout the year. It was this time last year that the virus still hitting hard and lockdown getting to grips with things heading in to May. No lockdown and numbers would have continued to soar throughout the summer of 2020.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    You have some seasonal effects because people spend more time indoors - which is pretty definitively where covid spreads best - when it's raining sideways outside. You get the same effect with all airborne diseases like colds and flus. Most of Europe seemed to be doing well last summer, but then they'd all just exited or were still under savage lockdowns and other places, Brazil for example, was absolutely not. 87% of the world's population lives in the northern hemisphere, so the global figures for cases and deaths per day (e.g. here) are telling: they show only a very modest decrease in deaths and new cases last northern summer.
    Last edited by John83; 22/04/2021 at 12:55 PM.

Page 67 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast