Page 55 of 78 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1551

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Would the league not be expunged? Only a third of it has been played right now.
    There are arguments for voiding the season and for working out a system to have a finished league table. The season was shortened due to the pandemic and have some sort of a campaign if that shortened campaign cant be even completed is it a legitimate season to put in the record books. The other argument is particularly for the title. I think the league could be allowed to play its original amount of games and it wouldn't alter the destination of the title. It would be unfair on Rovers to deny them but any system to allocate European places could get messy. Its another conundrum for abbotstown. This all based on a complete Level 5 lockdown being enforced by Government of course.
    Last edited by D24Saint; 05/10/2020 at 9:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    I'm not sure what the rush is to finish the last 4/5 games. Just pick it up where we left off.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Well there's transfer windows and contract expiries coming up. Would it be fair to play the last four games in, say, Feb when a lot of players (particularly foreign players, I presume) have moved on? How would you sign replacement players for four games? Do you just stick in the 19s? How about contracts - would players be expected to be available out of season all of a sudden?

There's a lot of issues here. I don't think it's as simple as putting the league on ice for as long as it takes.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Get an exemption to finish this season and scrap next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Well the league demanded that Athlone Town's pay a fine and said it brought the league into disrepute when certain amatuer players decided to make themselves unavailable. This disruption would not be the league's fault therefore it is up to the clubs to sort out their own players. What's good for the goose...

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    There's going to be a strong push back against an immediate jump to level 5. I think we're more likely to see level 4, or 4+ with and exemption for elite sports still in there. NPHET will have to show strong evidence that elite sports and certain workplaces are contributing to the spread if there's to be a level 5 shutdown. They'll also have to show the modelling that's lead to the recommendation. Are they saying that on current trends ICUs will be overrun in a matter of weeks and level 5 is the only way to stop it? Or are they being ultra cautious? No doubt we're at a critical time all around in term of Covid, but even countries with much higher case levels, heading into stronger lockdowns, seem to be maintaining exemptions for elite level sports.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well there's transfer windows and contract expiries coming up. Would it be fair to play the last four games in, say, Feb when a lot of players (particularly foreign players, I presume) have moved on? How would you sign replacement players for four games? Do you just stick in the 19s? How about contracts - would players be expected to be available out of season all of a sudden?

There's a lot of issues here. I don't think it's as simple as putting the league on ice for as long as it takes.
    Well if we will be in Level 5 all the way until Feb then yes - but if we are in L5 for a month as is proposed and then move to L4 then just complete the season then.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There's only four games left for most teams. I would presume the league is now agreed as an 18-game season, not a 36-game one.

Also, I'm not sure if UEFA will allow expunging of a league - how do you decide who qualifies for Europe then?
    Dublin City, Monaghan United, Sporting Fingal and one of the previous versions of Derry City.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Well if we will be in Level 5 all the way until Feb then yes - but if we are in L5 for a month as is proposed and then move to L4 then just complete the season then.
    Well I agree with that - especially if midweek games can be arranged - but there is a deadline, if not an immediate rush, in that contracts are agreed and players may be looking to move on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    If we will be on Level 5 all the way until Feb then the country will have more serious problems than an incomplete LoI season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Shur, we'll all be dead on Christmas day anyway, when donny dump pushes the button, thinking he's ordering more KFC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Some people like their chicken nucked. You should see me barbque!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Government rejecting the advice of the Nhpet to place the country on level 5 and put it on level 3 for everyone instead, league safe for now it seems......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Amazing to see the Politicos having a bit of balls and telling NPHET to feck off, wouldn't have surprised me to see ourselves and Israel in Lockdown together.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    While level 3 is much better than level 5, I think it's fair to say we all know that the LOI is the main breeding ground for COVID and this season should be scrapped completely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CityRebel View Post
    While level 3 is much better than level 5, I think it's fair to say we all know that the LOI is the main breeding ground for COVID and this season should be scrapped completely.
    A lot of us probably think that Cork should have been quarantined years ago anyway. A year in the 1st Division is probably a fair compromise

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Looks like Level 5 is going to happen soon, if not now, unless people actually cop on and abide by restrictions.

What if this day 3 weeks we go to Level 5, just before the last round of matches. Might be an idea to squeeze in those games now (although we already have a full schedule, so not sure that could happen even if they wanted).

Can see the FAI Cup having to be scrapped next month.

The good thing for us is Level 3 should see us get to the Molde game at the Aviva just about, and then our 2nd home Euro game isn't until the end of November - God knows where we'll be by then.

The other thing though is Filippo needs to stop messing about with team selection in the league in case there is a sudden shutdown!!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    If you compare the loi to the GAA I think loi should be ok as there has being way too many occasions in the GAA especially up north where fans invaded the pitch! Morons!At least the GAA have the sense to stop things now.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    There's going to be a strong push back against an immediate jump to level 5. I think we're more likely to see level 4, or 4+ with and exemption for elite sports still in there. NPHET will have to show strong evidence that elite sports and certain workplaces are contributing to the spread if there's to be a level 5 shutdown. They'll also have to show the modelling that's lead to the recommendation. Are they saying that on current trends ICUs will be overrun in a matter of weeks and level 5 is the only way to stop it? Or are they being ultra cautious? No doubt we're at a critical time all around in term of Covid, but even countries with much higher case levels, heading into stronger lockdowns, seem to be maintaining exemptions for elite level sports.
    The modelling was presented to relevant people eg frontline staff management. Its stark stuff tbh. There is definitely an erring on the side of caution at the moment basically due to personal risk levels for front line staff (and id include teachers in that myself) if things start to really get out of control. There are currently in and around 40 high depednency beds nationwide, less in ICUs, but a reasonable amount of acute general capacity. If the modelling pans out and so far prep has been for worst case scenario that picture changes in weeks. Worst case is equally as likely as best case so what has happened is basically a gamble by Cabinet.

Understandable by Govt as poorly handled by NPHET going public but they probably suspected the kickback. Members of Cabinet have also been poor in undermining NPHET publically also. It will be tough to regain credibility and hence compliance from the public if the NPHET 'not thought through' angle is pushed.

One of the main considerations for NPHET is the kicking the can down the road issue in hope that things change for the better - at a time when public fatigue for any restriction is growing and so a real risk of losing a grip on things without a kick in the aras.

Personal opinion here but based on the figures and the general behaviour of sections of the public, but the situation will deteriorate and it is very possible that Level 5 restrictions have to happen anyway. The choice would be to do so now to mitigate against spread, as tough and irritating as that would be, or we end up doing it at the much more important period over the Christmas season - completely banjaxing a whack load more of businesses, and risk the most vulnerable due the normal family visits not being possible; Social isolation that will be felt more acutely over this time, the seasonal stresses on hospital capacity that happen every year will be exacerbated (sadly many people become 'ill' over Christmas and New Year to not be isolated and alone and get admitted to hospital), maybe there will be less drink related admissions (accidental injury, domestic violence, social distrubances) but I doubt it unless off licence sales are restricted....yeah right, if we want a national riot on our hands!! I know this isnt LoI stuff directly but whatever, it's a short-sighted sticking plaster unless there is a sneakier agenda to ramp things up over a period of time. Again an underatanadable stance but would lead to a longer and more damaging impact also.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    Some people like their chicken nucked. You should see me barbque!
    Thanks for this as it made me laugh and a lighter mood was needed - once back in flipping 1702 or somthing like that my Dad felt a bit queasy after ordering chicken out (nothing to do with the couple of beers), ever since he will only touch chicken if it is cremated but nuked is a far better description!!

Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Amazing to see the Politicos having a bit of balls and telling NPHET to feck off, wouldn't have surprised me to see ourselves and Israel in Lockdown together.
    As per above, I think the politicians have done the opposite of showing balls, and have actually bottled making the difficult but most prudent course of action. We should be able to creat a covid free island bubble, if the will is there to achieve it. Not possible with sketchy contract tracing, not improving border control, including the impact of the Brits on NI, and an increasingly complacent public - partiularly among the younger demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    If you compare the loi to the GAA I think loi should be ok as there has being way too many occasions in the GAA especially up north where fans invaded the pitch! Morons!At least the GAA have the sense to stop things now.
    Fooking infuriating to see. GAA should have known better considering they had to erect perspex barriers at Hill 16 years ago to stop the pitch invasion issue. Funnily enough it was after Armagh fans ignored the appeals and broke through stewards trying to prevent them entering the pitch. Seeing Blackrock hurlers in Cork walking down the street with all those fans was a disgrace. The reaction for the GAA has been top notch after though, by cancelling ALL activity after this behaviour, including potentially not holding All Ireland competitions as a result. Thats a serious slap on the wrist for the clubs that ignored advice and they wont be looked favourably on by other who did what they were supposed to do and will miss out. There are plenty of stories of positive Covid tests being hidden - but with proper Govt tracing these people and contacts should have been isolating so the clubs knew they could hide anything that could mean forfeiting games.

Apologies of any of this simply sounds like a misery rant, I promise none of it has to do with wanting Rovers title derailed! After all, that would also see Cork not being relegated and that would be fun simply to get a Cork colleague for back the Nov-Feb slagging in 2017 - bitter an twisted in my old age, as its not so nice to want anyone relegated but that was the longest close season ever and must be avenged!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 06/10/2020 at 12:39 PM.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The modelling was presented to relevant people eg frontline staff management. Its stark stuff tbh. There is definitely an erring on the side of caution at the moment basically due to personal risk levels for front line staff (and id include teachers in that myself) if things start to really get out of control. There are currently in and around 40 high depednency beds nationwide, less in ICUs, but a reasonable amount of acute general capacity. If the modelling pans out and so far prep has been for worst case scenario that picture changes in weeks. Worst case is equally as likely as best case so what has happened is basically a gamble by Cabinet.

Understandable by Govt as poorly handled by NPHET going public but they probably suspected the kickback. Members of Cabinet have also been poor in undermining NPHET publically also. It will be tough to regain credibility and hence compliance from the public if the NPHET 'not thought through' angle is pushed.

One of the main considerations for NPHET is the kicking the can down the road issue in hope that things change for the better - at a time when public fatigue for any restriction is growing and so a real risk of losing a grip on things without a kick in the aras.

Personal opinion here but based on the figures and the general behaviour of sections of the public, but the situation will deteriorate and it is very possible that Level 5 restrictions have to happen anyway. The choice would be to do so now to mitigate against spread, as tough and irritating as that would be, or we end up doing it at the much more important period over the Christmas season - completely banjaxing a whack load more of businesses, and risk the most vulnerable due the normal family visits not being possible; Social isolation that will be felt more acutely over this time, the seasonal stresses on hospital capacity that happen every year will be exacerbated (sadly many people become 'ill' over Christmas and New Year to not be isolated and alone and get admitted to hospital), maybe there will be less drink related admissions (accidental injury, domestic violence, social distrubances) but I doubt it unless off licence sales are restricted....yeah right, if we want a national riot on our hands!! I know this isnt LoI stuff directly but whatever, it's a short-sighted sticking plaster unless there is a sneakier agenda to ramp things up over a period of time. Again an underatanadable stance but would lead to a longer and more damaging impact also.

Thanks for this as it made me laugh and a lighter mood was needed - once back in flipping 1702 or somthing like that my Dad felt a bit queasy after ordering chicken out (nothing to do with the couple of beers), ever since he will only touch chicken if it is cremated but nuked is a far better description!!

As per above, I think the politicians have done the opposite of showing balls, and have actually bottled making the difficult but most prudent course of action. We should be able to creat a covid free island bubble, if the will is there to achieve it. Not possible with sketchy contract tracing, not improving border control, including the impact of the Brits on NI, and an increasingly complacent public - partiularly among the younger demographics.

Fooking infuriating to see. GAA should have known better considering they had to erect perspex barriers at Hill 16 years ago to stop the pitch invasion issue. Funnily enough it was after Armagh fans ignored the appeals and broke through stewards trying to prevent them entering the pitch. Seeing Blackrock hurlers in Cork walking down the street with all those fans was a disgrace. The reaction for the GAA has been top notch after though, by cancelling ALL activity after this behaviour, including potentially not holding All Ireland competitions as a result. Thats a serious slap on the wrist for the clubs that ignored advice and they wont be looked favourably on by other who did what they were supposed to do and will miss out. There are plenty of stories of positive Covid tests being hidden - but with proper Govt tracing these people and contacts should have been isolating so the clubs knew they could hide anything that could mean forfeiting games.

Apologies of any of this simply sounds like a misery rant, I promise none of it has to do with wanting Rovers title derailed! After all, that would also see Cork not being relegated and that would be fun simply to get a Cork colleague for back the Nov-Feb slagging in 2017 - bitter an twisted in my old age, as its not so nice to want anyone relegated but that was the longest close season ever and must be avenged!
    That's a good sum up. I read the NPHET letter and you can see the logic in their approach. They blindsided the government though, and that was never going to be well received. I'm always reluctant to call for a return to lockdown, because I'm very insulated, both our jobs are safe, I love working from home etc. I think it's a very different story for people in industries that are being shut down an more and more won't reopen. It's not just about the economy either, there's a long term impact on health if unemployment goes through the roof and then there's the impact on reduced funding to the Department of Health etc. It's a no win situation, lock down now, and there's the mental health and jobs impact, wait another few months and there's the immediate deaths and ICU overcrowding, don't lock down again and see large numbers seriously ill or die, but jobs are saved and the economy takes much less of a knock and there's the cold heartedness that goes with it.

There does seem to be evidence that the second wave is much less lethal, which probably gives some justification to delaying or avoiding altogether a move to level five, but if the hospitals are overrun then the impact on those on the front line will be massive. Sports seems such a secondary consideration in it all, there's so many obvious benefits to seeing organised sport continue, but then you see the ridiculous celebrations and gatherings and you understand more the need to shut them down. They might have to look at the definition of "elite" sports, having low level junior championships going ahead seemed way out of line with the rules.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Page 55 of 78 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast