Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    The Brits are asserting their independance from Europe by not doing what the Europeans are doing.
    Hopefully the Govt don't ban our matches.
    To be fair if they put a limit of 4000 on it that would do for most matches.
    Its a bit of a joke if they ban football matches and leave the Schools open , there are probably 2000-2500 people through my local school every day between kids , teachers and parents.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    This will kill the league without some kind of safety net from the government.
    It'll kill the government to step in and subsidise every industry that could suffer here. Ireland is still stuck with huge IMF debt remember.

Business interruption insurance could kick in - if it doesn't bankrupt insurers of course.

Where this all ends, I've no ideas. It all seems very over the top at the moment - what happens if/when we have 10k cases?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    The news of Trinity's quasi-shutdown has staff in my workplace spreading panic on Whatsapp groups, and it is beyond irritating to have to tell grown men and women to keep calm.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Yeah it’s coming things are snowballing . In such circumstances it’s a disgrace that Cheltenham is going ahead as normal , I’m delighted but very surprised. The Brits & Yanks have been slow to react in particular, the opening day of the MLB at the end of the month is set to go ahead as normal aswell.
    Not really wanting to be too political but this isnt a tempered response its denial that there is any reason for concern at all as in an election year and the performance of the economy the keystone to a presedential re-election bid, for the world economy to slip in to recession couldnt be worse/better timing depending on opinion.

The Brits are just the Brits in a 'whatever comes this way we will suck it up and get on with it - remember the war!!'

I will worry about LoI when I start to see schools, universities (and pubs lol) ordered to shut for protracted periods. Anything else would an unbalanced and pointless response. So suspend LoI where there are often less that 2000 people present in the open space as opposed to similar numbers sitting in close proximity in classrooms? If this were to happen then i would be convinced that any response is about optics and not proper containment.

There could be a bit of irony that the lower attendance averages are currently the better off things could be financially for clubs if a ceiling on the numbers at public gatherings is say 2000. Would it be cheeky of clubs to just cap capacity at the maximum number or would that be a PR own goal? It could be make or break as mentioned!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It'll kill the government to step in and subsidise every industry that could suffer here. Ireland is still stuck with huge IMF debt remember.

Business interruption insurance could kick in - if it doesn't bankrupt insurers of course.

Where this all ends, I've no ideas. It all seems very over the top at the moment - what happens if/when we have 10k cases?
    I understand the govt can't support every group/business etc. I'm simply saying LOI clubs don't have a financial pot that they can dip into in case of games being cancelled or played behind closed doors. Most of our clubs live week to week and month to month.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Not really wanting to be too political but this isnt a tempered response its denial that there is any reason for concern at all as in an election year and the performance of the economy the keystone to a presedential re-election bid, for the world economy to slip in to recession couldnt be worse/better timing depending on opinion.

The Brits are just the Brits in a 'whatever comes this way we will suck it up and get on with it - remember the war!!'

I will worry about LoI when I start to see schools, universities (and pubs lol) ordered to shut for protracted periods. Anything else would an unbalanced and pointless response. So suspend LoI where there are often less that 2000 people present in the open space as opposed to similar numbers sitting in close proximity in classrooms? If this were to happen then i would be convinced that any response is about optics and not proper containment.

There could be a bit of irony that the lower attendance averages are currently the better off things could be financially for clubs if a ceiling on the numbers at public gatherings is say 2000. Would it be cheeky of clubs to just cap capacity at the maximum number or would that be a PR own goal? It could be make or break as mentioned!
    Heard from a teacher friend that apparantly the Schools are closing from Friday until after Easter.
    Given that they are off next Monday/Tuesday for Paddys day it is only 2.5 extra weeks off but means the Schools are closed for 5 weeks.
    The Teacher did say not confirmed so it could be fake news but given the way the Holidays fall it makes sense.....NB NOT CONFIRMED

Edit :Now confirmed as fake news
    Last edited by sbgawa; 10/03/2020 at 5:21 PM. Reason: Fake news

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    I doubt anyone is disagreeing EP, and as far as a Govt prop ups go, LoI is probably in the very last place in the queue. How is UEFA goodwill toward us for another Irish soccer bailout...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Heard from a teacher friend that apparantly the Schools are closing from Friday until after Easter.
    Given that they are off next Monday/Tuesday for Paddys day it is only 2.5 extra weeks off but means the Schools are closed for 5 weeks.
    The Teacher did say not confirmed so it could be fake news but given the way the Holidays fall it makes sense.....NB NOT CONFIRMED
    Well if the fall of the easter break minimises the disruption of closures it very well could happen. It'd be a stroke of luck for the Dept of Ed to be able to be proactive without having to make a really difficult decision that totally disrupts the remainder of the school year. I was thinking myself that they might shift the holiday calender around so same amount of days closed but bring them forward and hope this fizzles out in that time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    With average crowd of 4000 (hopefully more) and taking season tickets out i'd say gate receipts on average are 20k per match for Rovers. x 15 remaining homes (after Friday) = 300k
    Lets say Dundalk are 200 Cork 200 Sligo , Derry 175, Bohs (very little as mostly ST just away fans) say 100k say 100k each for the other 4 ...thats only about 1.3 or 1.4 million and all games could be played behind closed doors.
    Not a lot to finish the league and ensure 300+ players/staff get paid for 6 months, if it took that long.
    300 people at 200 per week dole for 6 months would be 1.5 million.

I know my figures are complete ball park stuff but the amounts of money involved is relatively small and certainly if the clubs closed and the staff all went on the dole it is very marginal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    An unnamed Linfield player has tested positive for Covid-19. Hopefully the player will be ok, this will have huge implications for the IL and the last 2 months of their season. The LOI, the clubs and the PFAI need to be looking at this and start contingency planning now

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...r-coronavirus/
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    I think we are going to die and if not from this then something else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I think we are going to die and if not from this then something else.
    Hopefully very old age! or boredom if we all end up in an Italian like lockdown..

While still proportionately small numbers 631 deaths in a couple of weeks Italy isnt insignificant. Nottingham Forests owner testing positive after meeting the 1st team squad prior to a match could be relevant in influencing decisions on games here especially if players pick up the virus, likewise with the IL case mentioned and definitely if players from opposing clubs that were played test+.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 10/03/2020 at 8:08 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    This will be the last weekend of games i reckon

This is the last weekend of games folks if they even go ahead i reckon

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    The Brits are asserting their independance from Europe by not doing what the Europeans are doing.
    Hopefully the Govt don't ban our matches.
    To be fair if they put a limit of 4000 on it that would do for most matches.
    Its a bit of a joke if they ban football matches and leave the Schools open , there are probably 2000-2500 people through my local school every day between kids , teachers and parents.
    Just thinking that a lot of supporters may well opt not to go to games even if they do go ahead this week

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    EPL starting to postpone matches now.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    In recent years Sligo Rovers (and other clubs too Im sure) have had to go a number of weeks without a home gate. The longest was 11 weeks without a home game, so in some ways this is not a new development in terms of money management. Gaps like that has the potential to literally push clubs to breaking point. A lot of clubs would not survive that to be completely honest. Fan owned clubs without sugar daddys like ourselves, Harps, Cork plus Derry and Bohs to a lesser extent are in a really tough situation if games are postponed/ cancelled. Other clubs will feel the pitch too if it went on for a prolonged time. Fans will undoubtedly be cautious and not go to games, as FR has said, so gates will be down for sure. I was really hoping for a straightforward season for the league after the FAI debacles of recent years, unfortunately that seems unlikely now.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    If worst comes to worst stream all the games, charge a fiver a pop. All Premier division games are already set up for it and first division clubs could even do it with just a bit of creative thinking. Obviously a fraction of the income you'd get for tickets but it's something which is better than nothing and probably less overheads too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    I think you could probably charge a bit more, at €10 under the circumstances, it could help bridge a gap.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I think you could probably charge a bit more, at €10 under the circumstances, it could help bridge a gap.
    Die hard loi fans would pay more but you risk losing the people that might be interested in the LOI but aren't fully committed, might go every second home game or something. You've also to remember if LOI games are behind closed doors, odds are there's a lot of people out of work for one reason or another and they might not be getting paid to the same level they normally are so might be tightening the belts

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    EPL starting to postpone matches now.
    Should be noted that's a specific instance where Arsenal played Olympiakos around the time their owner caught the virus.

It doesn't mean mass postponements in and of itself yet - but you do get the feeling that can't be too far away

Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast