Thanked in
    635 Posts
    The peoples league will be fine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-he...-idUKKBN20P2HU

Swiss League suspended until the start of April,asked to play games behind closed doors but the clubs rejected it obviously,and you'd think this could start happening elsewhere in Europe when the cases start mounting........
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Weirdly, whatever stage of my life I was at when all that was going on, the stampy sponge thing became ingrained. 20 years on I still occasionally half expect to see a little tray of disinfectant to splash through if I go through a gate or over a stile when out for a walk.
    That would have been for the foot and mouth crisis where infection was spread on people shoes and car wheels. This one is just about hand hygiene and manners.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Between private business closures, new cases in other parts of the country, Trinity's partial closure and James Bond, you can kind of sense it starting to snowball now. Presumably a postponement/cancellation of mass gatherings isn't far away, then schools/colleges, etc, etc.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Im sure they would insist on the closure of some city centre pubs/clubs that would have similar size gatherings as many LoI games!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 06/03/2020 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    That would have been for the foot and mouth crisis where infection was spread on people shoes and car wheels. This one is just about hand hygiene and manners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Im sure they would insist on the closure of some city centre pubs/clubs that would have similar size gatherings as many LoI games!
    The owner of Gogertys in temple bar already complaining about a drop in business. That’s one less Ivory back scratcher with the prices he charges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    The owner of Gogertys in temple bar already complaining about a drop in business. That’s one less Ivory back scratcher with the prices he charges.
    Disposable masks probably at a higher premium than a diamond encrusted ivory back scratchers. Stopped in to a pharmacy in Newry earlier on the way home from work and they were selling masks at £5 where unit cost is usually less than £0.05p. It's a all becoming very fluid but hysteria is still driving the whole agenda. Any pharmacist should know better than to be driving ineffective preventative measures but then greed is greed and supply and demand a key part of economics. I am a bit more concerned that I was after the above rant but I'm still convinced that less scaremongering would have led to less cases and better compliance with reccomendations. EG the stocks of alcohol gel (and possibly its current cost) could have resulted in the lack of hand sanatising facilities a game sthis weekend - though it is LoI and we dont tend to generally bother with minimum norms...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I would say that this weeks games will be the last for a while if they even go ahead and that is not for certain. This is a pain in the hole but it will pass if we are sensible on a personal level, on an organisational level and at a societal level. Cheltenham though massive mistake imo just too many people and too much traveling involved.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    It will be grand for the big clubs,but alot of clubs running week to week could be in massive trouble if there is extended postponement of games or they are played behind closed doors,worrying times for some I'm sure....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    No club in Ireland can afford to play behind closed doors, unlike the UK where tv money dwarfs gate money.
    If gatherings are cancelled the league will be postponed and restarted later.
    Or maybe the fairest thing would be to giv the trophy to whoever is on top now.

14. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Dundalk have a million or two left from the Euro money presumably.

Other than that, no point making this a big club v little club thing. It would affect every club pretty much equally

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Dundalk have a million or two left from the Euro money presumably.

Other than that, no point making this a big club v little club thing. It would affect every club pretty much equally
    You'd like to think so but who knows!!

I suppose understandibly decisions are being made on a worst case scenario basis - especially with this '60% of the population could catch the virus' rhetoric. On a LoI basis it makes little difference between postponing the league and playing behind closed doors surely, with the main cost being players wages and their contracts having to be honoured either way i'd imagine. It's a complete pain in the aras though by next week there will be a better idea of which way things will swing. I'll refer back to the point on closing pubs and clubs in which there is a much higher risk of cross infection than at LoI games or many other events (sure arent some grounds inhospitable to any living organism anyway), which will indicate how serious things will really be taken, as opposed to looking like everything pssible is being done. If things do trend toward a worse case scenario then we'll be dealing with this for the next 6-12 months and life must go on at some point. In the same way that the TB crisis made spitting generally taboo in this country at least lets hope that not washing hands after using the toliet in pubs et al will be frowned upon as anti-social behaviour!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    I think it's likely that games will be postponed or played behind closed doors at some point over the next 3-12 weeks, how long it will last for nobody can know. If there is any lengthy disruptions to the league schedule it will have huge implications for clubs and players on waged contracts that largely depend on matchday income. As it's early in the season if things did get really disruptive an extended season over the winter or a shortened 18 or 27 game season for the Premier Division would have to be considered on a contingency basis
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I dont think LoI games will ever be played behind closed doors without some sort of online streaming service. The LoI is different to other european leagues which have lucrative TV deals, we have nothing to fall back on. Think I saw before that 60-70% of LOI club revenue comes from the gates?

Worried a lot of clubs could go out of business should matches be cancelled or postponed. How will wages be paid?!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    This will kill the league without some kind of safety net from the government. No Irish club (maybe Dundalk or Rovers but realistically even they will be in trouble) can afford to go a month, two months without gate receipts. Bigger clubs have larger income but equally larger costs. As a league we budget season to season.

Could the likes of Pats and Waterford survive with individual owners who are able to pay the bills during a period without games? Perhaps, but even their pockets will be hit by the overall downturn/recession that is coming.

If anything the smaller clubs will be best protected as they have mostly part time players and lower overall costs. But realistically we are going to see several clubs hit the wall unless there is government intervention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    I agree EL P its not even just the gate receipts for this season if the season is cancelled then all season tickets for next season will have to be issued F.O.C so its a massive hole that cant be filled easily.
    We will be behind a long Q looking for money to keep going and i cant see that working well for the League.
    The FAI are broke as well so no help there.
    Hopefully the Government who will be concerned about the GAA will allow crowds of up to 4 or 5 k

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    Czech,Spanish,Polish,Austrian all playing games behind doors I see today,its a matter of time here I fear and its very worrying.....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Czech,Spanish,Polish,Austrian all playing games behind doors I see today,its a matter of time here I fear and its very worrying.....
    Yeah it’s coming things are snowballing . In such circumstances it’s a disgrace that Cheltenham is going ahead as normal , I’m delighted but very surprised. The Brits & Yanks have been slow to react in particular, the opening day of the MLB at the end of the month is set to go ahead as normal aswell.

Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast