Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 37 of 78 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,394 Posts
    It's ridiculous to restart for only 13 games. Could hardly call it a season..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Would be even more ridiculous to have 13 more games with no relegation but have promotion, as is being mentioned in the media.

So back to 12 teams next year? Would that mean 3 straight down next year and 1 promoted to bring it back to 10?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Why are some clubs against relegation ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Why are some clubs against relegation ?
    Well it’s fairly obvious really, if you look at Sligo for example, they have no points so it would be hard for them to avoid relegation if they only had 13/14 games left. It seems clear to me from listening to their treasurer that they are pushing for the short season to reduce costs and I would imagine they are pushing for no relegation aswell. If that’s what is decided then what incentive to they have to pay players in full and actually field a competitive team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Well it’s fairly obvious really, if you look at Sligo for example, they have no points so it would be hard for them to avoid relegation if they only had 13/14 games left. It seems clear to me from listening to their treasurer that they are pushing for the short season to reduce costs and I would imagine they are pushing for no relegation aswell. If that’s what is decided then what incentive to they have to pay players in full and actually field a competitive team.
    None it would be a shambles that would leave some clubs with no incentive to be competitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I was thinking there might be a football/sporting reason, but there isnt....

Its baiscally a way for some clubs to try and cull their wages which they already agreed to, to the detriment of the league

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    Dunno if anyone has the answer to this question, but what happens if 9 teams agree and 1 disagrees? Does the league say" tough €hit paddy, we're going ahead without you," to the one disenter or do we remain in limbo at the mercy of this one club?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    Sorry meant to add,
    What if it's 2 clubs, or 3. Where does this end I guess?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts

Its baiscally a way for some clubs to try and cull their wages which they already agreed to, to the detriment of the league
    It's also a way of not spending a season in the First Division. Not unique to Ireland either - Hearts and Partick are already suing the Scottish League over their relegations after the Scottish leagues were abandoned with around 6-8 matches to go, while last week, the French courts blocked relegation from Ligue 1 while letting the two promoted sides come up, so there'll be 22 teams and four relegation spots next year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    One of the many issues all this is really highlighting is the problems the difference in contract lengths causes as the season cant be extended because some clubs can't afford to extend contracts.

The FAI should step in and stop that in future. I know people say players want to go on the dole and stuff but when you're trying to promote a league it's really hard to convince people you're serious while also saying that.
    There's nothing to stop players getting other work between seasons they just couldn't go on the dole is all.

Talk of the FAI Cup being scrapped should be shelved too. We need that euro spot. Play it after the seasons conclusion, simple. If clubs don't want to renew contracts then they can play the kids in it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Dunno if anyone has the answer to this question, but what happens if 9 teams agree and 1 disagrees? Does the league say" tough €hit paddy, we're going ahead without you," to the one disenter or do we remain in limbo at the mercy of this one club?
    plough on.
    We're a disgrace atm that we haven't got the league up and running.believe we're the only league in Europe not doing so.
    So much for this new loi we got promised by fai. the NEW fai

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    In fairness, it's hard to blame this on the current FAI.

It's an exceptional and unique circumstance to hit what is an organisation badly hamstrung by the chief ****wit JD himself.

What can the FAI realistically do? They're broke, so can't really just finance all LoI clubs' costs for the season. But they have to comply with national health and safety requirements during a pandemic.

(OK, JD didn't make the current organisation as Dundalk for a loan if that story's true, but other than that, this isn't the current FAI's doing)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    plough on.
    We're a disgrace atm that we haven't got the league up and running.believe we're the only league in Europe not doing so.
    So much for this new loi we got promised by fai. the NEW fai
    This is factually incorrect and is very easy to disprove.

Ligue Un, Jupiler League, Erdeivisie, SPL, Leagues One and Two in England. All cancelled outright. So was the Womens Premier League in England.

NIFL hasn't returned yet, neither has the LOI. I'm sure there are plenty of other leagues still trying to find solutions, but I don't have time to google all 50+ leagues.. There are still trying to agree a deals to bring MLB back in the US, and while the NBA has a deal there has been rumours suggesting a significant population of players don't want to return.

We need to realise that restrictions around travel and crowds are going to be different in each country. Ireland has been pretty badly hit by Covid-19 in relation to other countries. if you sort by death per population and take out countries under 1 million then Ireland has the 9th worst death rate in the world, 12th if you count Andorra, St. Maarten and San Marino. Next you have to look at the financial realities.

The Premier League was always going to return, there was too much television money at stake for it not to, and they were close to finishing it anyway. Its probably more of a surprise that leagues in France, Belgium and Netherlands didn't return for similar reasons but the TV money there isn't as massive as in England.

There was a tweet a few months back decrying the lack of TV money in Ireland. I think we were the only league in all of UEFA with zero television money, or one of only a few and the leagues near the bottom were tiny leagues that we should not be in the same category as. No league in all of Europe relies on crowds to a greater extent that the League of Ireland. It makes up the bulk of all of our clubs income. If you bring back the LOI without crowds we will lose clubs. That is reality. I completely understand why those clubs near the top of the table are eager to return, winning trophies is fun and there is European prize money to compete for. I would love for the LOI to be back, but until there are financial guarantees then it is irresponsible to bring it back. Is it be worth playing a truncated season in 2020 if we lose 2 or 3 clubs in the process? Or should we wait until we can find a way to get fans back in our stadiums, even at reduced capacities and allow clubs to budget for that so that they can survive this new reality.

Then you have relegation. I will admit that I will have a biased position on this but I'm going to lay my thoughts out and anyone can feel free to counter them, as long as you realise your position may also be biased based on the situation your club is in. I'm not suggesting that we have no relegation. I would be very relieved if that did turn out to be the case as my club is in danger of relegation.

When we started the season we all understood what was required for relegation, and to win the title etc. Play 36 games in the Premier, each team home and away twice, over the course of that season you can have no real complaints about your final position. If you cut those games in half you will get more weirdness. Each lucky or unlucky result has much more of an impact, an injury or suspension is twice as important. Loan signings who were brought in under the assumption they would be available for the majority of games before the end of June are now gone. There may also be players who are at increased risk, or who have family members who have increased risk who choose not to play for the remainder of the season. No matter what happens, if we go ahead then this is going to be a very strange season

You can't exactly impose a shortened season on clubs in the middle, teams made preparations for a 36 game season, so you need to get consensus on what a new season eventually looks like. There will be teams who are more or less happy with the eventual agreement but you need some sort of agreement.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Agree and disagree there Nigel. I think the league needs to happen, even at only 13 games it would bring some closure and keep sponsors, season tickets holders, players happy to some degree.

13 games is way to short and Id agree hardly a season in anybody's eyes. I think all teams are looking for is fairness and decent crack at a season.

Id agree with El-P on the relegation. It would be wierd without it. Personally I think a way out would be start again, I said it at the start and was shot down for it, but halving a season after it has barely starts when teams have made preparations for 36 games, then restarting it 6 months later just isint a fair playing field imo. 9 games home, 9 games away brings everbody back to level playing field. There can be no argument about relegation. promotion, euro spots as everybody goes into this the same. Not to mention the chance of court proceedings that Scottish teams are talking about.

Maybe Im biased and maybe a restart is unlikely. I suppose all I want, and most clubs Im sure, is to feel that they were allowed have a go and not feel hard done by at when its all over.
    Last edited by redobit; 19/06/2020 at 4:00 PM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

There is another reason I could think of, that's survival. Is the financial package good enough to survive without debt. Football clubs are no different than any other company in all this. Some companies have to take drastic decisions in all this or they might not be back in business. Im not saying this is the case far from it, just a potential reason.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Leo has announced crowds of 500 allowed from 29th June

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Leo has announced crowds of 500 allowed from 29th June
    I thought he said 200 then 500 from 20th July ? either number is a help to getting the league back on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    €70 million for Sports of which €40 million between FAI, GAA and IRFU and crowds of 500 possible from 31st July could be enough now to get a deal over the line and recommence the season.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    €30M to gah, €8M to rugger and €2M to FAI( of which the white slave owners of the schoolboy section will expect €1M)

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Personally I think a way out would be start again, I said it at the start and was shot down for it, but halving a season after it has barely starts when teams have made preparations for 36 games, then restarting it 6 months later just isint a fair playing field imo. 9 games home, 9 games away brings everbody back to level playing field. There can be no argument about relegation. promotion, euro spots as everybody goes into this the same.
    How is it not a level playing field to continue from where the season left off until each team has played each other home and away, for a total of 18 games?

24. Thanks From:

Page 37 of 78 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast